“Very rude staff”

Cuisines: British
Description: Postcode IP15 5BN
Description: Postcode IP15 5BN
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stood by the wait to be seated sign for ten minutes whilst being completely ignored by staff. Decided as everyone else to find a seat without staff. Waited ten more minutes for a waitress to walk passed asked if we could have a menu only to be very rudely told if we had waited by the sign we would have one. Waitress so rude we walked out. Would advise all people avoid so many restaurants around the area with good service there is no need to put up with the rude staff!

1  Thank Kaz2285

Reviewed 30 August 2012

A lovely smiley welcome as my partner and I walked in the door. We went over to the bar and ordered our drinks (great selection of wines to choose from) and were asked if we wanted to dine there, the menu looked great so we were sat at a table near the window in no time at all, even though we hadn't booked. A member of the waiting staff was with as soon as we had decided what we wanted. Starters came out quickly and were very tasty and drinks were re ordered from our table as soon as our glasses started to look empty, so we didnt even have to ask or get up to go to bar again. I ordered the steak for my mains and asked for it medium rare, it was cooked to perfection and I am quite fussy about my steaks! Melt in your mouth and came with all the trimmings! yummy! My partner had a fish dish that was equally delicious and the veggies were cooked just right and all nicely presented. We asked if we could have our coffee outside as it was a balmy night and we wanted to watch and listen to the sea and this was no problem at all. When going back in to pay the bill, there was a happy vibe within the place and we got chatting to the barman and decided to stay for a night cap. This is a treasure to be found in Aldeburgh, I had almost given up on the place for eateries, most of the others are overpriced and overrated but I will definitely be heading back to The Pelican sometime soon and taking friends and family with me!

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I've been 4 times in the past year and each time was awful. You'd think I'd learn my lesson but I'm always hoping it will get better. I had a cheeseburger today. Frozen patties, plastic cheese and tinned relish. Seriously guys, we're in Suffolk. The farm shops here are fantastic. why don't you use local produce?? I ate 3-4 bites and gave up. It was just awful. When you walk in, the staff seem rattled and can take ages to serve you. There is a "wait to be seated sign" and I waited for a few minutes while staff went back and forth in front of me.

With the exception of the awful 'burger day', I've always had to call staff over to take my order . On two occasions, they gave my friend the wrong food order. But I wish the owners would take note and sort the appalling food out. Mind you, after reading the other reviews, it seems they couldn't care.

3  Thank ally653
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Today was our second visit to Aldeburgh, and to The Pelican Bar & Grill. Our first visit was 12 months ago and was very disappointing. Service was poor and extremely slow. We had to ask if we could have some drinks as none of the staff came to us. When we eventually received our food we were served toast with visible mould (which we returned to the kitchen!) and luke warm salmon and scrambled egg.

On our return to Aldeburgh today, we decided to give The Pelican another chance. There was a family waiting to be seated in front of us as we duly stood by the 'wait here to be seated' sign. We waited for 5 minutes before a member of staff approached us. The family asked if they could sit on the table by the window and the staff member pondered before asking if they would mind waiting whilst it was cleaned. Then off she went......to make coffee. The family still stood waiting. I noticed three table of people all waiting for their food, and the unhappy looking kitchen staff. At that point, we hot footed it out of there and found somewhere around the corner that served delicious food and had attentive waiting staff. Will NOT be giving The Pelican another chance!

1  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This used to be a briliant restaurant, but it closed down for a while as it wasn't making any money.It has been taken over by new owners and in the beginning the food was quite good. However, the menu has remained unchanged with the odd "special" here and there. The last 4 times we have been in there the food was absolutely appalling. Frozen chips, that were still frozen in the middle, a ceasar salard that looked as if it was swimming in white muck...sirloin steak that would have been better off on the bottom of someone's shoe it was so tough and stone cold vegetables. We complained to the management, but the man appeared to be so drunk he was incoherrant and his wife just didn't want to know......we sat on the roof terrace to finish off our wine but felt extremely uncomfortable with the dirty looks we were receiving. We spoke to two other couples who were eating in there and they too had to send their meals back as they weren't cooked properly. 2 of the meals were deleted from our bill as I didn't touch mine but there was no apology offered by the management, in fact we were made to feel as if it was our fault for complaining. The only good thing about the restaurant is Claire, the main waitress, she seemed embarrassed for what had happened and apologised on behalf of her employers, but it shouldn't have been down to her. Unfortuantely we have given the restaurant enough chances and we will not be going there again