“Excellent”

Aldeburgh Fish and Chips
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stopped to get Fish and chips here, weather was hot and sunny. Didn't have to queue too long . Ordered 2 small cod and 1 large chips . Portions were just enough . My husband and I shared the chips and she split them into 2 bags for us . Smelt and tasted delicious . We sat on the sea wall with many other people doing the same . Cod was fresh and batter crispy . By the time we had eaten , both the shops had very long queues ! And it wasn't even the weekend ! Staff friendly . Excellent place for fish and chips .

There are newer reviews for Aldeburgh Fish and Chips

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Sorry folks,the hype surrounding this establishment is far higher than the actual experience of eating the fish and chip,and the potions are bordering on tight. I can only think that those that rave over this place,haven't actually tried too many other fish and chip shops.
But then,from the owners point of view why give a profit reducing decent portion,when people queue for hours anyway.
Rick Steins Padstow chip pie beats this hands down,though it is expensive .

1  Thank Calsaysayso
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was urged to try this place by a work colleague, who rated it very highly, and apparently it has national acclaim and huge queues.

Now there is no shortage of excellent fish and chip shops in Suffolk, and the fish around here is usually fresh off the boats so to be recommended by the locals is no easy thing. So I had to try it. one lunchtime when I was in the area.

There was no queue when I arrived, and I was even able to park right outside the shop. The service was friendly and polite. The aromas in the place were fantastic.

Overall I was rather disappointed. The chips tasted fine, but there were very few of them. The fish was OK. Again a miniscule portion.To be honest I have had better, but then Ive also had much much worse. I think my gripe was a value for money thing. it was freshly cooked and tasted OK but it wasn't as great as the expectations. I dont know how much you have to pay to get a normal sized portion of fish and chips, but I would estimate this place is twice the price of other excellent F&C takeaways we have used. I havent rushed back since, despite being regularly in the area. Suffolk has great fish, locally caught, and anywhere on the coast you will get good quality produce. As such this place only stands out for the wrong reasons.

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I'd been told that I must try the delicious fish and chips and to not let the large que put me off! And even though I did stand in line for quite a while once inside the service was quick and friendly and the food very much made up for the wait! Easily the best chips iv ever tasted!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Visited on Monday lunchtime, and almost no queue, although one formed behind us as we waited. Nothing to beat taking the chips to eat sitting on the sea wall overlooking the beach. Reasonable sized portions, my wife particularly enjoyed her scampi. The chips looked pale, but tasted very nice. A lovely treat!