“Not as good as previous visits”
Review of The Upper Deck.

The Upper Deck.
Ranked #14 of 31 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Very busy Saturday lunchtime as usual. There was a queue outside before opening and if you weren't in just after 12 you had to go away and come back later. The food was well cooked and pleasantly non-greasy. For me personally there were too many chips but I'm sure most visitors will not complain about that. However, on this occasion the haddock was a little disappointing - very small, thin fillet so it seemed that there was more batter than fish. I wouldn't hurry back although I expect my companions feel differently!

1  Thank BillyBear01

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Really great chips and superb service,biggest gherkin we ever saw!
They do cook in BEEF DRIPPING....This could be pointed out a bit more as my wife is a vegetarian and was suitably horrified after the waitress had told us...
that really is my only crticism....

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We frequent this restaurant every few months. We think it is worth the 3 hr round trip. The haddock is amazing and chips nice too. You do have to queue though unless you time it right

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Visited Aldeburgh on a sunny but cold Friday about 5pm it was time for some warm food it was a toss up between italian or traditional English. How can you go to Aldeburgh and miss out on local fish and chips. The Upper Deck is a small restaurant above a fish and chip shop in the main street,enter the door complete with a port hole up some stairs, this could be a problem if you are disabled as there is no lift. The seating area holds about 25-30 people and is clean and has a nice nautical theme, The fish is availiable in 3 size portions and a childrens size.
We had excellent waitres service very friendly, the fish covered in a lovely crispy batter and very nice hot chips.
So if you after quality fish and chips at a resonable price look no further.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Although this is a popular place it didn't live up to our expectations. We went for a family lunch at midday and had to queue for 15 minutes even at that relatively early hour. Each fish (we had skate, cod and haddock between us) was overly cooked, the batter was excessive and not in itself tasty and the haddock, in particular, was very dry. The chips and the service were OK and the price was reasonable, hence the two stars, but I certainly wouldn't rush back.

1  Thank DavidBCambridgeUK