“very peacefully, nothing is to much trouble and the breakfast is brilliant”
Review of Oak Farm Barn

Oak Farm Barn
Reviewed 27 April 2009

stayed here for three nights and had the two rooms the second for my two girls we all had a very pleasant stay.
and will be going back without any doubt, it was so peaceful, and has a small patio to chill out on and just about all your needs.
try it I know you will be happy

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 February 2009

Please take the time to read this and then you can make your own judgment of the Oak Farm Barn bed and breakfast.

I have just had the pleasure to stay at the Oak Farm Barn B&B in Rougham near Bury St Edmunds for 10 superb nights.

On arrival I was met by owners Ray and Rachel Balmer and shown in to a fantastically refurbished barn conversation. After a very warm welcome I was presented with a tray of tea and biscuits made for me by Rachel while I was having a chat with ray. After the necessary form filling I was shown to my more than adequate room with en-suite bath room.

Ray then took me and showed me the sitting / breakfast room where there is a computer for the guest to use with free internet access and also the honesty bar for any of the guests to take a tipple after a hard day (I didn’t require the computer as I had my own which connected to the free wireless broadband internet in my room with no trouble at all).

On closer inspection of my room one of the first things I noticed was how clean and fresh it was, the carpet and walls were as you would find in your own house clean and well looked after. There was a leather chair to relax in after a hard day. I also had flat screen television with DVD player (DVDs for guest use were shown to me in the entrance) tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits were in ample supply there was also a full height wardrobe, dressing table and a set of draws all of which were of good quality and not your usual wobbly stuff you find in B&Bs.

The en-suite was a disabled wet room type of set up which was spotlessly clean and the towels were changed ever day and were large soft and smelt of washing powder
The shower was off a high standard and the water was hot and plentiful.

Out in the entrance there are various maps for the local walks with boots provide if you have left yours at home also wellingtons, slippers, umbrella’s and even a can of de-icer for the cold mornings.

I stay in hotels and B&B’s for over 200 days of the year and have done so for the past 9 years so I have been in some good and bad accommodation so I think I am a pretty good person to recommend Oak Farm Barn to you if you were ever in this area.

Overall Ray and Rachel have a home from home place which is superbly clean, warm and you are made to feel very welcome, they will look after you’re every need.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sowts
Reviewed 20 November 2008

From the start of our arrival to the moment we left we had the most wonderful stay at Rachel and Ray's B & B. We had a fabulous room on the ground floor with an En-Suite bathroom and our hosts kindly provided a cot for our young daughter. The Barn has been beautifully restored and is in the lovely village of Rougham, a stones throw from Bury St Edmunds.
We stayed for 3 days and each morning we had the farmhouse breakfast which was delicous. Our hosts Ray and Rachel made you feel very welcome and nothing we asked for was an inconvenience.
We will be travelling back to Bury in the near future and the first thing we shall do is book our room at Oak Barn Farm.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 October 2008

My husband & I spent August Bank holiday weekend at the Oak Farm Barn, wanting some 'time out' from our busy working lives to explore Suffolk and this was the ideal place for that.
Ray & Rachel Balmer are the perfect hosts. From the moment we arrived and were offered tea & biscuits we immediately felt we were being welcomed into their home - even though they don't actually live in the property.
The accommodation is a spacious barn conversion that has been developed to a very high standard with the right balance of modern touches and country charm. They really do seem to have thought of everything - from a drawer of toiletries providing anything you might have forgotten to pack, to laminated copies of local walks and driving directions to the best pubs & restaurants in the area.
The top floor of the barn has a homely lounge area with comfortable sofas, books and photographs of the barn before & during the conversion. There's free internet access and a small honesty bar. Outside, a patio area is perfect for sitting out and soaking up the rural views of Suffolk.
Our ground floor bedroom was extremely comfortable and furnished exceptionally well, including TV & DVD. The bathroom was spacious and everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The cooked breakfasts were almost certainly the best we have ever tasted, and made even more enjoyable by the friendly conversation with Rachel & Ray.
We paid £65 per night which was excellent value. This was by far and away the best weekend break we have enjoyed in a B&B or hotel, and the warmth of the comments in the vistors book suggest our experience has been shared by many others.
I'm booked in again next week for a business trip as the Oak Farm Barn has everything I need but with far more charm and hospitality than a big hotel can possibly offer.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)