“Fabulous Theatre”

Theatre Royal, Bury St. Edmunds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built in 1819, this Grade 1 listed playhouse is the only surviving example of a Regency theatre in the UK. It is the only theatre open to the public in the National Trust's portfolio of properties. Fully restored to it's Georgian splendour, the intimate auditorium and exquisite decorative scheme will provide visitors with an unforgettable and unique theatrical experience. The Theatre presents a vibrant, year-round programme of drama, music, dance and stand up comedy. We also offer regular tours of the building, contact our Box Office to book a space on one of our tours.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Coming from the States, I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed my visit to the Theatre Royal. I viewed the play Jekyll and Hyde from a boxed seat, quite a treat that I'm not used to!

It seems every seat in the house had an excellent view and we could hear the play just fine. Another thing that I enjoyed about the play was that it had an old fashioned Orchestra Pit underneath the stage. I've not seen that before and it was interesting to me and the Orchestra was excellent as well. Intermission was enjoyable with snacks and a dining area to eat at as well.

If you get a chance, I would highly recommend seeing a play in the Theatre Royal.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Lovely little theatre, staff very welcoming. A unique experience well worth a visit.
Been a couple of times and the only criticism is the seating, the boxes require a game of musical chairs which can be amusing if you know everyone but can be off putting particularly for late arrivals or early leavers. In the Pit the seating could be more comfortable. However, well worth this slight inconvenience.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The tour of the theatre is very interesting and informative, I do not think you would enjoy as much looking around on your own. You also go back stage.
National trust members get a discount on the tour price

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a lovely building, a Regency theater that's approaching 200 years old and, after being restored (twice) is still being used for the purpose for which it was built. I arrived in time for the tour, so decided to join. Unfortunately, I soon wished I had given that a miss. The guide seemed far more intent on communicating her prejudices and gross generalisations than in communicating anything about what I am sure could be a fascinating building. Telling all the people on the tour that the family chose not to join the tour because they couldn't afford it seemed to me to be unnecessary, and the unwanted opinion sharing continued from there. A massive shame, as the building deserved better. I wish I'd chosen to wander around on my own. There were plenty of information boards around the place and I'm sure they'd have been more informative.

TheatreRoyalBSE, Manager at Theatre Royal, Bury St. Edmunds, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience when you visited us. This is certainly not how we want our visitors to feel when they visit and we would like to take the opportunity to apologise. We are looking into this, and hope that your experience will not deter you from visiting us again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Called here on our visit to Suffolk.Found the building enchanting and atmospheric.Wish that we were able to see a live performance