“Terrible Experience”

Ranked #11 of 53 Bury St Edmunds B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

On arrival they were really unfriendly and said they didn't accomodate children when I asked if they had a high chair [they had said we didn't need to provide one]

This was not the worst of it - the room:

Was very small and badly decorated and had damp in some of the corners

The towels were threadbare and had holes in them

They had a light in the room for a fire exit which stayed on all night and gave off such a bright glow that it illuminated the room

They had nylon sheets and pillow cases and we couldn't sleep because they itched

There was a large air conditioning unit outside the bedroom which stayed on most of the night.

When we approached the owner the following day, he explained that he had to have the illuminated exit sign in there as it was the law [my husband is an architect and it doesn't need to be this way, it could be done very differently] the owner was not apologetic at all and was very rude to my husband.

he also said "I knew you were trouble when you arrived with that cot, thats why we don't have children here".

The owner was aggressive towards my husband and we had one of the worst nights we ever had in any accommodation let alone one recommended by Alistair Sawday.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LucyEBG
Hannah-TheOldCannon, Owner at Old Cannon Brewery, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
We tend not to respond to Trip Advisor reviews, as often in matters such as this we accept that being a review website what is written is often a matter of opinion, so we avoid getting into a two way public exchange. Instead, where a guest is not happy we ask that they come and talk to us at the time so we can rectify any issues.

However, in this occasion I feel compelled to respond to your report mainly to rectify the untruths that you have stated as fact in this review.

Our Sawdays entry at the time clearly stated that we did not offer cots or high chairs. We do not have had high chairs (and never have); nor do we tell people that they do not need to bring them.

I would refer you to our email exchange in November 2012 prior to you making the booking.
Your email via the Sawdays website stated that your daughter was 1 year old and was it ok that you brought with you a cot and high chair. I responded by saying that our rooms weren't really suitable for cots, but two of our rooms were slightly bigger so having a cot in one of them could be an option. I also stated (and I am quoting from my email here) “Unfortunately we would not be able to accommodate a high chair in the restaurant, particularly on a Saturday night in December as we have a number of large party bookings for that night.”

You then responded by email asking if you could bring a booster chair along to use on Sunday morning that attached to the side of one of our tables. You we even kind enough to give me the link to view this online which I did.

In my email response the following day I stated that the seat would be fine for use on the Sunday. Regarding the Saturday night, I informed you that we had a large party of 20 in on the Saturday night. I stated that as it was December party season groups tend to be loud and boisterous so we would rather not accommodate restaurant bookings with children. I did however offer you an early table that would have avoided the large party bookings. I also suggested that you call me to discuss the arrangements.

I did not hear back from you and you then proceeded to make your booking online via our website. Short of saying “I’d rather you didn’t book”, I not sure how else I could have informed you that our accommodation does not cater for children, nor would we be happy with children eating in the restaurant on a busy Saturday night in December.

Regarding your room complaints, I would like to point out that on the evening of your stay you did not bring to our attention your dissatisfaction with any aspect of your room.

Your room (Room 7, Best Bitter) is perfectly adequate for two adults and has a king sized bed, a dressing table, two chairs, side table and two bed side tables. The slight bit of water damage in the far right hand corner was not damp. This was caused by a leak in a pipe in the corridor above the room and needed time to dry out. It has since been redecorated. The shower grout had a slight bit of mould – to be expected in a bathroom. We have the bathroom grout cleaned and treated annually and we also use a steam cleaner on the tiles as part of our deep cleaning routine.

Our towels are laundered by a professional laundry company (Cannon). To say they were threadbare and had holes in them is untrue.

The light on the fire exit that you refer to measures approximately ½ cm in diameter – I’m sorry if this kept you awake, but I question your statement that it ‘illuminated the room’. The light is there to indicate that the fire exit sign works!

Our sheets and pillow cases are also laundered the same professional laundry company. They are not nylon but cotton. My husband pointed this out to your husband on the morning of your departure.

The large air conditioning using outside the bedroom is the cellar cooling system, which is has a timer that switches it off at 11pm.

Your husband approached us the following morning before paying stating that he wasn’t happy with the room. My husband accompanied him to your room, where your husband proceeded to stand in the room pointing out these minor faults. Rather than get into an exchange with you, my husband acknowledged that you were not happy and asked your husband how much he wanted to pay. Your husband offered to pay only £60. My husband accepted this and at that point my husband stated “I knew this booking would be a problem when you arrived with a cot, that’s why we don’t have children here”. Your husband then said we would only pay £50. It appeared to us that you were simply trying to find fault with the room to get as much discount as possible. We accepted your payment of £50 – you have failed to mention that you actually received a 55% discount on the cost of your accommodation.

We did not, nor do we now agree with your comments hence why we were not apologetic. My husband’s tone in dealing with the matter matched you how he was being spoken to by your husband.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is a totally different experience to staying in a hotel, or an 'ordinairy' B&B !

It's more like staying with friends, who happen to own a pub, which has quite nice bedrooms, and also happens to have its own brewery, in the Suffolk gem of a town that is Bury St Edmunds.

Relax. Have a beer. Eat a delicious Thai curry, produced by the gorgeous Som.
e.g. Thai beef curry, with chunks of butternut squash and pistacheos.
Yum Yum Yum.

Have a stroll around Bury St Edmunds. Visit the tiny but perfect Abbeygate cinema, or the tiny but perfect Theatre Royal, or the fab independent shops. Eat sublime fish in the heavenly French principality of Maison Bleue.

Relax. Enjoy. Chill out. Have another beer.

Next morning - full Suffolk breakfast in the pub. More Yum, Yum, Yum

Happy Days.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in have been lovely. They are named after the beers brewed on the premis...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We went to the cannon for Mother's Day lunch. As we hadn't been there before we were looking forward to trying somewhere new. The staff could not be faulted,friendly and very accommodating, the food, I could say on par with a 'hungry horse' style pub. Under cooked vegetables, very fatty meat ( which some people may not mind) and just no flavour. A real shame as the pub itself is lovely. I would go again, but only for a drink. Such a shame.

• Stayed March 2013
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Ate here last week. The dill herring salad was lovely but VERY small portion and NO bread! Why do restaurants sell starters with no bread? The Thai red curry chicken was delicious - no complaints at all about that. The dessert was a disaster. Chocolate brownies should contain nuts and be moist and chewy Take a minimum of 35 mins to cook plus cooling time. Mine was like warm chocolate mousse - running over the plate - very sweet and really horrible. Waitress said it was cooked in a microwave ??? Sent it back. Agreed to deduct from the bill but that is not the point. Also pub/restaurant very noisy - hard to talk. This is such a pity as could be really a pleasant place to eat. Think the chef should cook brownies in advance - in the OVEN!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Snipsy47
Essex
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have stayed at the old cannon brewery before and yet again have found it to be a comfortable place to stay. The bedrooms are clean and have been decorated to a high standard. The staff are friendly and the food and beer they brew on the premises cannot be faulted. Have already booked to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Looking for a weekend break with a difference then I would recommend the Old Cannon Brewery. A small but comfortable room, excellent beers brewed on the premises, good food and exceptionally friendly (and knowledgeable) staff and just a short walk into the town centre.
A couple of minor problems, one with the bathroom, the other with the initial seating arrangement for dinner but in both instances sorted quickly and with a smile. Inevitably things can go wrong and its how you deal with them that sets you aside, so full marks scored here.
A word of warning though it is a very popular pub/bistro and on both nights we were there was very full, so space at a premium and pretty noisy. Didn't bother us, we loved the atmosphere but bear it in mind if thinking of booking.
Would we use it again? Yes, without hesitation. Just what do you do for the man who seemingly has everything . . . well, a weekend in a brewery is a pretty good place to start!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
Reviewed 19 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night and overall it's a great place to stay. The major positives are definitely the location, atmosphere, fantastic helpful and cheery staff and a great bar with a great range of beers and ciders; the pick of them being their own brews and especially their Best Bitter. We didn't eat in the pub but the evening meal menu looked good and not too pricey with a nice choice of specials.
The down side is that Bury St Edmunds seems to be expensive in general but the room we had was very small for £110 (B&B). As we opened the door to our room, the door nudged the nice tub chair that was by the desk with the tea and coffee making facilities. The downside was that there was nowhere else the chair could possibly have fitted and I had to lean across the desk and chair to simply put the kettle on! Very far from ideal.
Contrary to that, the bathroom was large, very nicely lit with good quality fittings and a fantastic shower. Get rid of the chair and the room becomes useable but still small. Bed was comfy though! Breakfast was good but I can't say outstanding though.
I'd guess that other hotels might offer a slightly larger room but possiblt without the other, major, benefits of atmosphere and superb beers!

• Stayed November 2012