“Looking Forward To Visiting Again!”
Review of Old Cannon Brewery

and 1 more site!
Old Cannon Brewery
Ranked #11 of 53 Bury St Edmunds B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent a very comfortable night at the Old Cannon Brewery whilst in Bury to see my son perform in La Boheme at The Theatre Royal and were so pleased we chose this hotel! It was easy to find and very handy to be able to park free of charge at the rear and close to our ground floor room. We were very happy with the size, look and cleanliness of our bedroom and en suite shower room. The evening meal was delicious (go for smaller portion sizes where offered as portions huge!) and breakfast also delicious, my mum and I had poached eggs on toast and my son had haddock and poached eggs, there was a good choice of cereal and fruit etc. to start with. I did not see my son's upstairs room but he said it was just as good as ours! The staff were all efficient and friendly and we left happily with a supply of their ales for my other sons. (I thought the bottle of ale and packet of peanuts in rooms was a nice touch along with normal tea,coffee,hot chocolate and peppermint tea and biscuits!)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lovely food, brilliant service, not a great selection on the menu but was a lovely lunch in a nice peaceful location :) reasonable prices and also they do smaller meals for smaller eaters. not much parking available, but not far from the town which has ample parking

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have just returned from 1 nights stay at the Old Cannon Brewery and cannot recommend it highly enough. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more helpful and courtious. The rooms are modern and named after the different ales available and there was a bottle in our room when we arrived which was a lovely touch. In response to the previous coment regarding the child policy, we were actually pleased when we saw this as we were looking for a break where we could relax without children around, and was very pleased to be able to do this. There are plenty of places which children are allowed...and surely they are better suited for children/babies than a pub? Many thanks to the staff here for a warm welcome, and if anyone is thinking of going, we recommend the 'sample pint'-3 different 1/3 glasses of ales!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at the Old Cannon Brewery on the Saturday and Sunday of the May bank holiday and I must say this is one of the friendliest places I have stayed in and it is certainly on our list of favourites. Firstly the room while being quite small was well appointed (the bottle of local bitter was a nice touch). The food was excellent and we spent quite a few hours enjoying the great atmosphere in the bar - what more do you need for a relaxing weekend away.
The only comment I would make is that when we booked we asked to have dinner on both nights and weren't told that the restaurant is closed on a Sunday, rather oddly we when we checked in we were told we did have a dinner reservation on the Sunday - at 1pm?
Finally I feel that I must thank the person who gave the Cannon the lowest score possible because of their child policy, it was that review that made me think the Cannon sounded our sort of place so looked up the website. Incidentally, the management is absolutely right, this is not a suitable venue for children.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Polly08
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the Old Cannon Brewery as it is conveniently located for the town centre and for the Theatre Royal where we were going to see a play. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and shown to our room. If I'm honest, the room was probably not as nice as I had been expecting. I thought some of the decor was a bit tired and the shower looked a bit old but overall it was okay. The bed linen and towels looked clean and the bed was comfortable. The complimentary bottle of ale was a nice touch but it would have been nice to have also had a bottle of water and a few more tea bags although I'm sure if we had asked we could have had some. The flask of fresh cold milk was appreciated. The cooked breakfast was nicely presented and good quality, although not huge, and once again the service was very friendly. I think the price for the room is quite a lot although I guess that's what you have to pay for the convenient location. If we are in the area again we would be happy to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan8791
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Dear Owners,

Having tried to book a room today 22nd April 2014 I mentioned I had a 4 month old daughter I was informed that children are really not allowed at " Old Cannon Brewery" I find the views regarding children opinionated,offensive and very victorian! The Child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang comes to mind! In 25 yrs of staying in hotels I would say this is the worst and the statement Old Cannon Brewery portrays on its website about Children and Young People is rather a judgemental view of our younger generation. As someone who enjoys Ale and brewing its disappointing I couldn't spend my money with you! Please read below the Old Cannon Brewery statement regarding children and Young People its insulting!!!

Due to the nature of our business we have taken the decision to no longer serve children in our restaurant who are under 10 years old. Our current policy which reflects our license states that children under 14 can only be served when eating in the restaurant. We are now extending this to children under 10.

Being a brewery and pub restaurant we feel that our premises are just not suitable for young children. We struggle to accommodate buggies/pushchairs and we don’t have space for baby changing facilities or high chairs. So we have taken the decision to be a ‘small child’ free zone.

We acknowledge that parents with older children at times want to enjoy a meal and drink together, however we are a pub restaurant first and foremost; and a pub is an adult environment.

Therefore, we ask that older children be seated at all times whilst eating. We do not think it is unreasonable to expect older children to behave like adults when eating a meal in a restaurant. Behaviour that would not be tolerated from adults will not be tolerated from children.

Whilst we understand that this may offend or upset some people, we hope this gives a clear statement of our position on this matter.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank NigelWard1968
Reviewed 15 April 2014

A seven-room hotel adjacent to microbrewery/pub/restaurant.
Rooms are very clean, well-serviced, and the hotel is located superbly for seeing the town. No traffic noise whatever, and a way-above-average breakfast to set you up. See my review for the restaurant!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business