“Tasteful, friendly and quiet.”
Review of The Chantry Hotel

The Chantry Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Two nights, for a rather spectacular friend's wedding at the very nearby St. Edmunsbury Cathedral! The hotel is unassuming but thats what gives it is understated charm- the courtyard and street its located gives you the Bury feel from the moment you check in!

I stayed in the annexe, with a room I couldn't fault other then the rather thin room door next to the staircase. Always enjoy a little bit of antique furniture- especially fell in love with the beareau in the corner. Fresh, generous breakfast, and I slept like a log (although champagne may have helped…).

Bury is a beautiful place, you stood out- thanks for a great couple of nights.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex B

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel usually used by my company was full, so I was accommodated here. It's a lovingly restored Georgian town house and now run efficiently and in a friendly manner as a hotel.

Comfortable bed; warm room; fresh breakfast.

I hope I'll be back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank grant67
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here twice within a month and both rooms were doubles, clean and comfortable with some nice period features. Breakfast was very good indeed. Well located for a stroll into and around town too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sandra T
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Very good hotel! extremely combatable bed and well appointed rooms. the only down side to the hotel is the small car park that is hard to get into. apart from that a great stay. I would have no problem recommending the hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My friend and I stayed in a standard twin which overlooked the car park. Beds were comfortable and shower was fine though I must admit I would have liked to have had the choice of a bath to rest my weary legs! There was some music noise around 10pm when we returned to our room but it didn't last long - not sure where it came from. Flat screen tv - don't know how many channels there were as we were out most of the time. The breakfast was very good - choice of cereals & fruit, fruit juices and cooked breakfast - whoever did the cooking could do perfect poached eggs and the bacon was plentiful and presumably local produce. Didn't use the lounge or the bar but it was cosy with the fire. There is free wifi and if you don't have a pc there is one provided- complete with printer
Location is good - It is behind the brewery and short walking distance to the Theatre, Abbey and town shops. Upon check-in we asked for details of eateries and a comprehensive list were marked on a map for us.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms look very nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmandaScotland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I am questioning how the Chantry can rate as no.1 on tripadvisor. I couldn't get in anywhere else and my booking company was only able to secure a single room at the Chantry and perhaps this is why.
Obviously not a lot of choice for hotels in the centre of Bury, the Chantry seemed a good choice from the reviews on here.
On the whole it wasn't bad at all, but I do stay in rather a lot of establishments and for the room price, I do not feel I had good value. I guess most of the other establishments were busy because of the setting up of the Christmas market. I have stayed in several boutique and major chain hotels of a far higher standard than the room rate charged.
Upon arrival, there is a good sized car park - unsure whether there was security cameras - if not would be useful addition for piece of mind.
The greeting was good and offer to carry bags.
The public area of the hotel was well appointed and very clean - so good first impressions.
However, I was very disappointed with my room. They do have large doubles and delux rooms - so I guess guest staying in these were able to rate the hotel highly.
So proprieters please take this review as constructive advice on how to improve that single room and not as a criticism.
It is difficult to do much with a small single room, but it could have been made more guest friendly and more boutique style. The single bed had decent linen and the ensuite had good quality towels. the bed did not have a valance and therefore looked a bit unmade, there was no nightstand/bedside table - guests should not have to put alarm clock, glass of water tissue etc on the carpet. attempts had been made at modernising, but there was a juxtaposition on a few things: Modern halogen main light, but awful 1980s faux antique wall light. Switches not convenient. Dated Anaglypta wall paper painted (clean but dated) - perhaps modern wall coverings with feature wall and contrasting soft furnishing and decent curtains. Desk/table & mirrored wardrobe I suggest changing to a nice fully fitted unit, that houses the TV, so wires are hidden. Ensuite had been modernised, with good walk in shower, but undfortunately not a power shower had to run a while to get hot; basin unit a little small as water splashes out - nice illuminated mirror, but could do with a shelf for toiletries. Was disappointed no bath, but probably not enough space.
So when booking folks, try one of the double rooms for single occupancy - not the single!
The breakfast was very good however, and perhaps the best part of the experience - decent locally sourced produced including the tea and marmalade - only criticism is perhaps they could offer black pudding - with the amount of farms in the area, I guess there is a decent producer locally.
I would stay here again but insist on a larger delux room, not the single which I do hope the owners pick up on my suggestions. I am concerned at the room rates, but with little competition, regular clientele, good rating on here, I guess they can be justified.

Room Tip: Do not choose the single
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mark R
chantry1, Owner at The Chantry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We only have one small single room which is room 2. Most of our corporate clients book double rooms for single occupancy which would have been more suitable for your requirements. We always point out to the person making the reservation that it is a small single room. On the nights you stayed it was the only room left so we could not offer you a free upgrade. Like most of the listed buildings in the town centre we are constrained by the basic geometry of the building which is often not as convenient as we would like. We have tried to keep the atmosphere of the Georgian town house so we have avoided feature walls and standard corporate hotel furnishings. We hope to be able to offer you a better experience if you stay with us again. We will also consider your comments on the relative value of this room when we set prices for 2014.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

A short walk to the town centre.
Hotel is very clean and the bedding and towels are top quality.
The atmosphere in the hotel is very relaxing and peaceful.
Overall a very pleasant experience.
The breakfast was good. We were seated next to the kitchen but there was no noise and no evidence of rush or panic. Again, a lovely peaceful atmosphere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple