“Lovely small hotel, but more posh B&B”
Review of The Chantry Hotel

The Chantry Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here for one night in August.
The owner was very polite and showed me to my room.
This was on the top floor up a winding staircase - not for the faint hearted!
The room was great, but the creaking floorboards were getting on my nerves.
I could only find one power socket - not good for a road warrior.
The bathroom was great, but the toilet overlooked the street so I had to close the blinds every time I went to the loo! The single glazed sash windows leaked noise (it overlooks a busy road).
Breakfast was brilliant, well cooked and service brilliant.
Would I stay again? Yes, if I couldn't get in the Angel.

Room Tip: You must let the hotel know if you can't make the climb to the top floor. Try and get a room th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank SargFowler

Reviewed 22 August 2014

A lovely, clean and comfortable hotel but the breakfast has taken a real downturn since I last visited 6 weeks ago. I stayed 4 nights so I know this wasn't a one off. I would have rated my breakfast on my last visit as one of the best I have ever had in a hotel but it was very average on this last occasion. Items tasted and appeared pre cooked, come on guys you're better than that!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank superchefender
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business. Room very good, breakfast excellent.
Decor is lovely and location excellent as Bury is a small place,
Staff very helpful and polite.
Oy drawback was that bed and pillows were too soft for my liking. Room very warm ( I don't think they can win as someone will complain if it is cold ).
Room great for working with iron etc as standard.
Would stay again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here en famille before and after our daughter's wedding at The Athenaeum. It's a lovely hotel; very comfortable rooms, tastefully decorated, and a fine breakfast. It really helped start the day perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank noelprivett
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Nice location in the centre of Bury. Perfectly located for what we wanted - a stroll to town.

Nicely decorated, with a well appointed bathroom, and comfy bed. The downstairs had a spacious dining area. There was also a small bar and lounge area.

The hotel allowed us to check-in early for our wedding, and also were kind enough to let us leave our cars in the car park until 1pm on checkout day.

So what was the but?

Well when checking in we received a pretty unwelcoming greeting, which consisted of a key and warning about certain doors locked at night... Ok... maybe it had been a long morning?

What was worse, was the harsh treatment we received at breakfast from the lady that took our order. It was cold and extremely rude, we all thought. The lady (guessing the owner) turned up at our table with a 'what would you like?', then just proceeded to stand there holding here pencil and pad whilst staring at the wall ahead; without any engagement any of us seated at the table; whilst my parents struggled to read the menus small-font; not once offering any advice, or help. My dad even asked her if there was a problem, to which the reply was "no". He then just ordered egg-on-toast - to which retort was "just one" in a stern manner - only to get the imposing waitress away from our table. I simply couldn't believe that somebody, with such terrible customer facing skills, was in such a a job (be it waitress, or owner). We were treated like badly behaving stag-do, but were a newly wedded couple with their parents. My father-in-law tried next, but was again met with one-worded stubby answers of no real help.

Received better customer service at a late night Mcdonalds from a teenager.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere first if you want to feel welcome.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank London_Scotti
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here for three nights. We found the hotel lived up to its good reviews. We were in room 18, a suite..The room was immaculate with a lovely shower room, Breakfast was to a good standard. In addition to the normal tea facilities in the room fresh bottles of water each day were a nice touch. The town was all within walking distance with a wide range of of places to eat available..We would certainly be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned home after spending one night in Bury and sleeping at The Chantry. It is in an outstanding location a stone's throw from the cathedral and shops, easy to find (once you remember the address for your sat nav!), and has its own parking. Our suite (near the back on the first floor) was very comfortable and quiet considering the situation. It was also very well insulated from the other rooms and we were surprised when we went down for breakfast at 9.00 that most of the other guests were already down as we hadn't heard a thing. Breakfast was fine with quite a wide selection including fresh strawberries and plain yoghurt (the absence of which is quite common in other hotels in my experience). All the staff we met were very helpful. Our only criticism is that we found the bed rather soft for our taste. But nonetheless we highly recommend the Chantry.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple