“always eat here when in Bury st Eds”

The Scandinavia Coffee House
Ranked #42 of 219 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 May 2014

although i live in essex , i meet my sister in Bury st Eds at least 5 times a year and we always have lunch here, there is a good choice of main meals and sandwiches. the suffolk sandwich is delicious, we have always had a nice welcome by the staff, it does get busy at lunchtimes but we have been lucky to be seated within minutes. the chef makes the cakes himself, my favourite is the lemon sponge, my sisters is the carrot cake. the only difficulty for some people would be the stairs down to the toilets but if you are able to manage them i would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The suffolk sandwich is fine, as described. This place used to feel so welcoming even for a quick coffee pit stop but lately it seems to be somewhat cold and stark. Not that warm, welcoming friendly atmosphere you'd want to dive into. Probably won't be returning.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The sign upon entrance states 'Please Wait here to be seated'. Had we waited any longer there was a risk my In-laws, both in their late eighties, may have seized up! At £6.00 for a sandwich of 2 slices of bread and £3.50/£4.00 for a moderate slice of cake, this cafe is most definitely on the steep side! Once we'd actually been served, My mother-in-law enjoyed her over priced slither of coffee cake. Luckily she has a very small appetite. My father-in-law's cheese scone came with a small portion of low fat margarine! Our sandwiches, although the fillings were tasty, were presented in stale bread and with a side salad which consisted of a thimble of grated carrot a slice of tomato and cucumber. All the food arrived at different times. When it came to payment the bill had been left under one of the sandwich plates and had no total. I took the bill to the till to pay whereupon I was informed they didn't accept cards, just cash. When I was asked where this was written down I was told it was on the back of the menu. Yes, albeit in small print. Very handy! It's such a shame, as the coffee house itself is in such a picturesque part of Bury St Edmunds. Unfortunately we won't be returning.

1  Thank Sarah I
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

The food here is lovely , I had the Suffolk sandwich - A thick slice of toast with, mushrooms, bacon and sausage on top, covered with melted cheese. Ample salad garnish accompanied it. Service was a little slow, but food was obviously cooked to order and arrived piping hot, so didn't mind waiting.
Toilets could do with a refurb, but ample soap and hot water.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Suffolk sandwich is delicious, and filling. This busy little tearoom serves good food in pleasant surroundings, service is usually pretty slick and comes with a smile from attentive staff.