“Delicious!!”

Ranked #50 of 219 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Love eating their sandwiches (avocado, bacon, cream cheese!! YUUM), and sitting outside where there's a great view of the entrance to Abbey Gardens. Amazing food, very nice and friendly staff!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Well as you can see from my title, I will not be returning. I was full of hope on seeing the lovely cakes on display, and felt sure that with such a wide selection there would be at least one gluten free option...Ooops my mistake!
I was told there was a gluten free Cherry Bakewell, and looking at the wonderful displays on show I was looking forward to the arrival of this cake. Meanwhile my hot chocolate, that none of the staff knew whether it contained gluten or not, I surmised from their description that it did not. It arrived complete with the promised chocolate buttons, oopsy, they had those cheap little hundreds and thousands on them that everyone knows contain wheat! Except for the staff it seems.
So after checking with the staff, yet again, I carefully put them aside on my plate. The hot chocolate was sweet and sticky and tasted of milk and sugar, not chocolate. The cream was cheap spray on cream. So I left half of it as I did not enjoy it.
Oh, joy, my cherry bakewell cake arrived...I think they must have popped round to the free from section in Sainsburys, as it was the same cake I have tried and not bought again from there! A tiny dry little cake placed on a bit of paper on my plate...I was so hungry I decided to eat it and not spoil my husbands ok looking open sandwich. Which he had to send the first one back as he asked for meat free, and guess what...yep seems chicken is meat free???
On leaving, the lovely waitress, and she was very nice, asked how my meal was, so I told her I was disappointed. She duly asked for the manager to come and speak to me. Wow, what a grumpy face if ever I saw one! She promptly scowled at me and started to tell me about how only 2 people a week asked for gluten free options. So explaining politely and friendlylike, I tried to tell her how 10% of the population in the UK are coeliac, and she spoke over me telling me how they've already tried g/free cakes and they go stale...(well if I had a pound for everyone who has told me that). So I tried to suggest to her that there are cakes that are gluten free that people who can eat wheat would also enjoy, but she then interrupted and told me I was rude to her? Erm, customer...staff...listen???
She curtly told me I could have my money back, not what I was wanting and if she had the courtesy to listen she would have known that.
I will not be going back, my husband was also disappointed in the poor coffee and mean slice of cake along with the ride manager.
If anyone is interested, there are several easy gluten free options that everyone likes, I have a wonderful recipe for a very moist chocolate cake, chocolate mousse cake, meringue, chocolate brownies and I could go on! With the wonderful selection of wheat based cakes, I find it hard to believe the chef/baker would not be capable of making those gf options. Perhaps she is jsut not prepared to open her mind and her market.
I will not be returning, and I guess she will not be having those two coeliac customers she has a week returning either. I make that about 100 possible returnees that she is missing a year, based on those who had the courage to ask, goodness knows how many just walked out, or just didn't come back.
Oh yes, downstairs loos, tables were clean and fresh, decor was quite nice. Staff were pleasant but no knowledge of special dietary needs. Manage...well, not the most pleasant and perhaps needs a course on customer service.

1  Thank chrissyh324
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Pretty pink outside, nicely decorated tables, coffee and hot chocolate and water with lemon came up fast.
Cooked breakfast disappointing. Scrambled egg had lumps of white - should have been whisked with white whisk - like we do at home. 3rd member of our party says he orders friend eggs because they are less likely to go wrong than scrambled. Cumberland sausage was a novelty, though I expected them twice as thick. Bacon and sausage were tough.
Smiling, kind servers.
Toilets downstairs - not for a wheelchair user.
Very slow service. We spent on the expensive parking outside, thinking we might eat within half an hour but no chance.We sat in window with great view of square - and rival coffee place.

1  Thank Angela L
Reviewed 7 May 2014

although i live in essex , i meet my sister in Bury st Eds at least 5 times a year and we always have lunch here, there is a good choice of main meals and sandwiches. the suffolk sandwich is delicious, we have always had a nice welcome by the staff, it does get busy at lunchtimes but we have been lucky to be seated within minutes. the chef makes the cakes himself, my favourite is the lemon sponge, my sisters is the carrot cake. the only difficulty for some people would be the stairs down to the toilets but if you are able to manage them i would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The suffolk sandwich is fine, as described. This place used to feel so welcoming even for a quick coffee pit stop but lately it seems to be somewhat cold and stark. Not that warm, welcoming friendly atmosphere you'd want to dive into. Probably won't be returning.