“St Edmunds Guest House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bury St Edmunds
St Edmunds Guest House
Ranked #24 of 53 Bury St Edmunds B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“St Edmunds Guest House”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for a few days on a trip to do some family research. I was travelling by public transport so needed somewhere that was ideally within walking distance to the train station and an easy walk into the main town area. This place fitted the bill perfectly as it was about 15mins to the station, the bus station was just down the road 10 mins into the central part of Bury St Edmunds.
My single room was a reasonable size with all the usual facilities: TV, hairdryer, good storage and a very large wet room. The wet room was obviously originally for someone with some disability as there were rails around the toilet and it was very easy access. Everything was very clean and the bed extremely comfortable.
The main down point for me about the room was that I couldn't open the windows beyond about an inch and as I visited during hot weather (about 29 deg C) and as my room faced the sun for most of the day, it became very warm. I think the reason for the limits on the windows was for security as they faced the main road. A fan was provided but this just blew hot air around the room! Other windows were open in the corridor so I propped my door open a little.
Guests have access to a room with a microwave and a fridge so you can buy, store and heat up a meal in the evenings if you don't want to eat out every day. Beyond this room is a balcony that looks out onto the back garden. There's a few tables and seating for guests here too. You can select from cereals, fruit, yoghurt or a hot breakfast. I'm a cereal eater so only tried the hot breakfast once but wasn't keen on the way the scrambled egg was cooked.
I've noticed a comment about the main road. Yes it is busier on a week day morning and my room was directly beside it but I didn't find it disturbing. The dominos is across the road but it is an extremely small place and didn't disturb me either.
The kitchen was directly across from my room so I did get woken early a couple of mornings from the sound of people working in there.
the website did say that it is possible to store your luggage if required if there is some time between checking out and actually leaving Bury. I was allowed to store my medium backpack but i had to negotiate as it is dependant on whether someone will be around to open the door to give you access. The family was very helpful and friendly.
Overall I would not hesitate to stay here again should I return to Bury St Edmunds.

Room Tip: If you visit during hot weather request a room which is not situated close to the main road. If you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Katherine K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Theydon Bois, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was our 2nd stay at this very tidy B&B whilst visiting friends, the rooms are large, clean, bright and the large bed we had was very comfortable, breakfast as last time arrived quickly and was delicious, will stay here again if in Bury.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley w
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed out here recently for a wedding nearby - was warmly greeted by Pauline (from memory) who fixed me a cup of coffee having come off a long trip from Australia.

Stayed in a private room - which was clean with a palatial-sized bathroom. Well located a brief walk from the town center.

Well priced, friendly and clean - would definitely stay here again if I found myself in this part of the world.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ghostriderll
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here when we were visiting family in the area and were quite happy with the accommodation. The staff were friendly and welcoming and it was a lovely clean house with a nice area for breakfast. Our room was a great size with a decent bathroom. The only downside was that there is a Dominos over the road and there is a fair amount of loud and drunken foot traffic going past at night, expecially at the weekend, plus its on a fairly busty road and next to a roundabout. Might not be as bad if you get a room at the back of the property. Despite this though, it was a lovely place to stay and I certainly would stay again and would recommend it. I think its slightly overpriced but I wouldn't necessarily begrudge paying the current rate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holly M
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We had our 4th stay here this week and always lives up to expectations. Beautiful rooms, helpful and friendly team, tasty breakfast! Always my BnB of choice! Wouldn't say that there was particularly anything I would change. Really helpful to have a room free for you to eat your own food and relax if you wish.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robeche01
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I were here on August 29th & 30th. This Guest House is well situated for 1) Bus & Rail Stations 2) Bars & Restaurants 3) Centre of Town and Historical Areas. Overall this is Excellent Value For Money !!! We had room 9 on the top floor but did see inside some of the other rooms. All of them looked good !!!

Our room was spacious and comfortable with 1) King Size Bed 2) Electric Kettle, Tea Pot, Tea Bags, Coffee, Chocolate, Milk & Sugar all provided 3) Electric Iron & Ironing Board 4) En-Suite Toilet/Shower Cabinet(Shower Gel provided) 5) TV 6) Hair Dryer.

There is also a small room, with a Microwave for residents use, leading onto the Patio next to the Restaurant and a rear Garden Area with Tables & Chairs. All provided for Residents use and at no extra cost over the agreed nightly rental cost.

This seems to be a very popular place as there were no Vacancies when we arrived but, as soon as "Vacancies" appeared in the window, they were snapped up rapidly.

The House was spotlessly clean and very welcoming. The Management and Staff were all very friendly and at no extra charge for the Insults and wisecracks exchanged between them and the Customers. Just like being at home with the Family. We will return here in the near future as we have found the people in Bury St Edmunds to be very Friendly, wherever we have gone.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed to be excellent. We saw a few of the different types of room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Graham D
Wayside, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have stayed at the St. Edmunds Guest House 4 times now and am coming up on my 5th visit. What a lovely establishment!! I highly recommend it! A wonderful staff Tony, Karen, Pauline and Gail and even Tony's mum, all who have always made me feel most welcome and have been most accommodating!

The place is very clean, spacious, the beds are very comfortable, they have WiFi, the breakfast room is very cheerful and the the breakfasts are wonderful, what a delicious way to start each day! There is a desk in the room and a small kettle with tea,coffee and hot cocoa and some tasty biscuits every day. The bathroom is very clean and spacious with nice large towels. They have really been most accommodating in every way possible!! Great location, a short walk into the town center, less than 4 min... a Tesco's Express right at the top of the street. However Marks & Spencer's is just a bit further and is a much better shopping experience right off the town square.
It is also only a couple of blocks to the bus/coach station and about a 5 min walk to the train station as well. A car is really not necessary if you are just staying in town. There is a flatscreen TV with an alarm, a nice wardrobe, a hairdryer in the desk and an ironing station and iron. I loved that convenience for ironing my clothes after travel!

I've never experienced some of the negatives mentioned such as clouds of cigarette smoke or rudeness of any kind. I have nothing but kind words and superlatives for the St. Edmund's Guest House!!! I will continue to stay here on my visits to Bury St. Edmunds.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo