“Comfortable, clean & pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bury St Edmunds
St Edmunds Guest House
Ranked #23 of 54 Bury St Edmunds B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights over last weekend. The room, which was on the lower ground floor, was spacious & the bed comfortable, and nicely furnished & decorated. Parking overnight is available outside (if not taken) and there is another nearby at the owner's discretion. Breakfast on the Saturday was well cooked & generous portions. A couple of things irked, however. When I booked, I explained we didn't want breakfast on the Sunday and was told an allowance would be made for this in the price. It wasn't. Unfortunately, my partner was unwell on the Sunday, and decided to have breakfast anyway (since we'd paid for it) - as this was 'unplanned' it seemed to make the chef/owner(?) rather 'flustered' - or perhaps it was our observation that 3 tea bags & sugars for two people for two nights stay was a tad ungenerous? See also good room tip below.

Room Tip: The 'attic' room occupied by some friends was unsatisfactory as the blinds didn't work...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul T

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Booked this Guest House on line as it was close to the railway station and the music venue we were going to.Pleasantly surprised ,clean room and shower,comfy bed. Breakfast was good and included in price which was very reasonable.Only negative comment the room was very hot [was'nt warm day] even with the windows open,but if in that area again would stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara b
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed her for my business trip while working in Bury st Edmunds. Staff always welcoming and alway got a smile. Had a fantastic stay for 7 weeks. St edmunds never failed to let me down with my bed made every day and alwys very clean rooms. The breajfast in the morning was amazing. I would recommend this gust house to anyone its amazing.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank BKScottGettings
Reviewed 6 April 2014

this was overall a brilliant stay with clean rooms, bright and excellent staff. They welcomed us and showed us round the b&b. We needed water at 6 in the morning and there wasn't anyone in the house so we looked around and there was no taps to get water. I had to walk 40 minutes up the road to get a bottle of water was not happy. Breakfast was nice however it was a very small portion. I recommend this b&b to everyone just take your own water. I was on middle floor and could hear every movement upstairs so take ear plugs.

Room Tip: there isn't a pool or childrens activities and take your own water!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heidi S
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was amazed at the quality of this b & b and would say that it's probably one of the best I have stayed in. Was there for around 5 weeks , for business purposes and did not consider moving, unlike my previous accommodation in Bury St Edmunds.
Rooms are clean bright and spacious, with decent shower rooms and the whole set up is well thought out.
Good efficient , friendly and helpful staff, Karin & Pauline and of course, the owner Tony.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for a few days on a trip to do some family research. I was travelling by public transport so needed somewhere that was ideally within walking distance to the train station and an easy walk into the main town area. This place fitted the bill perfectly as it was about 15mins to the station, the bus station was just down the road 10 mins into the central part of Bury St Edmunds.
My single room was a reasonable size with all the usual facilities: TV, hairdryer, good storage and a very large wet room. The wet room was obviously originally for someone with some disability as there were rails around the toilet and it was very easy access. Everything was very clean and the bed extremely comfortable.
The main down point for me about the room was that I couldn't open the windows beyond about an inch and as I visited during hot weather (about 29 deg C) and as my room faced the sun for most of the day, it became very warm. I think the reason for the limits on the windows was for security as they faced the main road. A fan was provided but this just blew hot air around the room! Other windows were open in the corridor so I propped my door open a little.
Guests have access to a room with a microwave and a fridge so you can buy, store and heat up a meal in the evenings if you don't want to eat out every day. Beyond this room is a balcony that looks out onto the back garden. There's a few tables and seating for guests here too. You can select from cereals, fruit, yoghurt or a hot breakfast. I'm a cereal eater so only tried the hot breakfast once but wasn't keen on the way the scrambled egg was cooked.
I've noticed a comment about the main road. Yes it is busier on a week day morning and my room was directly beside it but I didn't find it disturbing. The dominos is across the road but it is an extremely small place and didn't disturb me either.
The kitchen was directly across from my room so I did get woken early a couple of mornings from the sound of people working in there.
the website did say that it is possible to store your luggage if required if there is some time between checking out and actually leaving Bury. I was allowed to store my medium backpack but i had to negotiate as it is dependant on whether someone will be around to open the door to give you access. The family was very helpful and friendly.
Overall I would not hesitate to stay here again should I return to Bury St Edmunds.

Room Tip: If you visit during hot weather request a room which is not situated close to the main road. If you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Katherine K
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was our 2nd stay at this very tidy B&B whilst visiting friends, the rooms are large, clean, bright and the large bed we had was very comfortable, breakfast as last time arrived quickly and was delicious, will stay here again if in Bury.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple