“Bury Good!”

Wilcrofts Home Cooked Food House
Ranked #162 of 205 Restaurants in Bury St Edmunds
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
North Essex, U.K.
“Bury Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We don't get to Bury St. Edmunds as much as we would like but made it last week and enjoyed a very nice cup of coffee for our 'elevenses'. We had a nice, friendly welcome from the lady hosting.

The frontage has end to end glass windows so you can gauge what's happening inside before entering and perhaps, with hindsight, that is why we choose Wilcrofts over the next door neighbour. There is also a deep pavement which accommodates outdoor tables and chairs.

You are greeted by a nice, clean tempting deli counter on entering and the food menu on the wall looked reasonably priced and varied. Apparently, it has a local reputation for good home-made food. The café area and toilets were clean. One to remember when we make a return visit to Bury.

• Visited March 2014

Elmswell
“Reasonable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Thought I would try somewhere different to my usual lunch destination....was very busy but managed to get a small table in a corner...service was pretty quick...unfortunately I wanted the quiche & salad which was on the wall menu....was told it wasn't gonna be ready for another hour due to a late egg delivery...so bit disappointed and wondered why it was advertised when not yet available...anyway I settled for an egg mayo & tomato sandwich....which arrived very quick....was impressed with that....only minus there I think was that the tomato was mainly in chunks in the sandwich would have been far better sliced ...otherwise bread was lovely & fresh and there was plenty of filling....no free wifi available bit of a letdown for a single person dining but that's just a personal thing....not sure how often the toilet is checked as there was soggy toilet roll on the floor which wasn't too pleasant....overall my food was good...atmosphere for me as a solo person dining not the best but ok....Bury is full of various eating places now...there are better :-)

Visited March 2014
Capel Saint Mary, United Kingdom
“Excellent home cooked food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here on several occasions. This independent cafe sources food locally where possible. The breakfast includes proper bacon and sausages made to the restaurant's own recipe. Their Sunday lunches are, in my opinion, the best in Bury.

Visited November 2013
Norwich
“Could have been better, well for me anyway.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

My partner and I ate lunch here on a very busy Saturday lunchtime. Partner had chilli and wedges and said it was lovely. I had a cheese and ham baguette which was very tasteless. Good old fashioned menu and a very popular place.

• Visited November 2013
“Lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

The standard of food was amazing. It's a must go. I'd happily take my family every day of the week. The service was amazing. Never been treated so well in a restaurant.

• Visited October 2013