“Friendly Staff but Everything Else Very Poor Indeed!”

Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Geneva, Switzerland
“Friendly Staff but Everything Else Very Poor Indeed!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I spent five nights in this hotel, and quite frankly it was an appalling experience. Firstly, it does NOT (despite what their guest information states) have accommodation for disabled guests as I discovered once I had been assigned my room. I had to throw myself out of my chair, and get down four steps on my butt, and reverse the procedure every time I needed to leave my room!! The bed was so uncomfortable (broken springs digging into my back) that I had to double over the duvet and lie on that to cushion the painful mattress. The carpet was literally filthy, the showerhead encrusted with lime-scale so that the nozzle was almost useless, the kettle didn't work, and the bedside table lampshades had had a fist put through them. To top it all off, the Wi-Fi was unavailable, although once again, I hadn't been warned of this. The staff were the saving grace. They were kind, friendly and apologised profusely, but were battling against terrible odds, To be fair, my bed and breakfast rate was reduced by 20% as a 'goodwill gesture', and the hotel is supposed to be undergoing refurbishment. However, the current conditions are so bad I can't understand how it is allowed to stay open. Furthermore, there are no plans to improve the accessibility.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
GMBury, General Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Dear guest,

I am very disapointed to read you review and some of the comments you have made following your stay.

Firstly made I remind you that you did not book the easily accessible bedroom at the hotel and upon check in you were offered the use of this facility which you did not use for the entire duration of your stay.

This obviously meant that you need to go down 3 steps which was your choice, you declined assistance that was offered to assist you with the steps therefore am very upset that you refer to this on trip advisor in the way you have.

I am also disapointed to read that you did enjoy every aspect of your stay and I am sorry for that.

We had an issue with the wifi for a number of days which BT have now fixed and we are continuing to try to improve th hotel with the refurb now being underway.

I am pleased the staff made you feel welcome I am aware you spent a lot of time discussing your stay with a number of them.

Adam Brough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

First time at a quality hotel was a Ramada when booked did not have any acknowledgement that it had changed ownership. Entrance can easily be missed as no signage. Some staff were friendly. The room was very noisy due to traffic from the main road. The bed was very soft and the shower was really bad as the water could not be regulated at a decent temperature until the showerhead was used by hand. Had a evening meal on the first night which took a good 45 mins to arrive from ordering. Price was expensive and this and poor choice led us to eating out on the 2nd night.

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

First time at the hotel since they were taken over (previously The Ramada).
Can't fault the staff, very friendly. We were told that the hotel is going to be totally refurbished and this has started with 8 rooms having been refurbed, however they were booked. Our room was adequate in size, lovely large walk in shower, the only negative is that the decor is a bit drab, few stains on carpets etc, but otherwise good value for money given that we got a brilliant rate via Bookng.com at just £29, this didn't include breakfast (obviously) so unable to comment on quality of this although we did eat in the evening and food was excellent although a bit expensive. All in all a great hotel, great location and will look forward to staying again to see what they do with the rooms!

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The rooms need a refurb soon then later. The bed was uncomfortable and the furniture could well have come from a secondhand shop. The shower fittings were old and worn and needed a lot of fiddling to get a correct temperature. Was disappointed and won't be going back.
Staff were very good and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
brough47, General Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

We have now begun the process of updating our bedrooms. This includes new beds, tiling in bathrooms, shower fittings, lighting and numerous other items to bring the hotel up to date and to give the hotel a fresh look.

Unfortunately this project cannot be completed over night but we endeavour to have the works done as soon as humanly possible.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

When I told a colleague that I was staying at the Quality Hotel he joked that a hotel having to call itself quality clearly isn't. He was sadly proved right. Even at a relatively cheap rate of £72 for a double room (not including breakfast of course!) it is overpriced. The hotel makes a great deal of free WIFI throughout the hotel and in bedrooms. Well the WIFI is there - easy to connect - sadly no internet at the end of it! No mention of this or an apology at check-in.One of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was the advertised free WIFI. Just a fruitless attempt to work out if it was my laptop. It is 9:30pm and I have no further comment. I hope the £10 extra I paid for breakfast will be worth it.

Room Tip: Check tht the internet is working before booking. Despite being down for over one week the hotel sti...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read that the lack of Wifi lead to a disapointing stay.

We are continuing to work to repair the issue with the WIFI which I hope will be rectified ASAP.

Cheshire
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night on 1st March 2013. Having read the reviews I was worried what to expect. It was probably the cheapest hotel we have stayed in for many years as my husband was unable to resist the extremely cheap special offer when booking several months in advance. The bathroom was in need of refurbishment but it was clean.

We asked for a quiet room location and were undisturbed by any noise as we were given a room away from the road and at the end of the corridor.

The only issue we had with the room was the awful soft bed and the hotel receptionist told us the beds are being replaced. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. We did not try the breakfast as we had to leave quite early.

I would say we had good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy road.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that your stay was better than expected.

We have now began the hotel refurb which will take some time to complete which includes the replacement of beds.