“Very happy”

Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
“Very happy”
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

If I had read some of these comments before I probably would not have stayed at the hotel. I was in Bury St Edmunds on business and was too tired to drive home so decided to stay the night instead. Reception on arrival was fast simple and friendly, the room was very clean and the hotel was in general. The restaurant was fine with a good choice of meals on the menu and waiter service was very good and attentive. One thing I liked was they had very strong wifi signals all over the hotel so it was nice to sit on the terrace with a cold beer and read the news on my iPad.
I never saw a manager at any time during my stay, no problem because the staff were doing a great job anyway, just an observation.
Breakfast in the morning was great, couldn't fault it at all.

Two things that I thought could be changed to make it an even better place to stay. I was really surprised to see no mini bar in my room, a hotel at this price should offer a mini bar I think, and also I am a Guinness drinker so think they should do away with those cans and get proper draught Guinness in! Just my ideas.

Overall I left very happy and I will be staying again in the future. Thank you

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Kramsekwah
GMBury, General Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It is always very refreshing to read a review where the hard work the team puts into the hotel is noted and I am very grateful for your comments.

We are always trying very hard to ensure the guest’s experiences at the hotel are good am I am delighted that you found this to be the case.

Regards

Adam Brough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Breakfast was very good and we told the staff how much we had enjoyed it. But the noise late at night and early morning from bedroom doors banging shut was quite unacceptable. From 11 until midnight every few seconds it seemed we heard doors on our corridor being banged - they are spring-loaded and, it seems, impossible to close quietly. We got little sympathy from staff. After the first interrupted night we enquired about the noisy neighbours and were told they were not staying a second night, but that was completely untrue and we had the same problem the second night. They were unable to give us another room.
The mattress was also uncomfortable - I could feel lumps and bumps instead of a smooth surface and I woke with backache. I had no bedside table, so nowhere but the floor to put things beside the bed, nor did I have a light my side, so had to get up in the night in darkness.
There was not enough storage space for clothes so I left mine in my suitcase all weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth P

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times before. This time we had 3 rooms booked as we had travelled up there for a family birthday party. The shower was not clean on the outside of the door. There was only one bedside table, so my husband had no where to put drinks etc, although is room to have one each side. The breakfasts were very expensive and disappointing. My husband had a fall english breakfast. But I queued for ages whilst different people complained about the toaster and the settings. After telling the staff four times we eventually some toast. But his breakfast was cold. The were toasted buns or croissants. It was cheaper and better to have breakfast in Bury. I note other people have had problems. I did put our comments, as requested into the box. But not sure they will act on them. Try the Grange Hotel, very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We selected this hotel as part of a Ramada special deal, now a Quality Hotel.
the hotel is in need of the apparent refurbishment,in particular room 311. the bathroom grouting was dirty and the appearance sad. The work surface in the room where dusty and the carpet cleanish but tired.
The mattress had died many years ago and was shaped like a saucer! No support whatsoever.

On returning to our room on the second evening (we decided it was too much of a pain to move rooms) the coffee stains from the morning where still there as where the shampoo sachets in the the bathroom, only one set of towels had been changed. We where happy to keep the towels from the night before.

we are unable to comment on the restaurant as we ate out at night and did not wish to risk breakfast.

Would we stay here gain - No!

Room Tip: ake sure you stay in 300 to 323, away from the noise of the bypass
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Macclesfield, UK
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was a bit worried when I read the reviews here, however, I needn't have worried. Not sure if we had a renovated room but it was nice enough, and had the facilities we needed. It was quite dark as there was heavy foliage outside, but that was fine for us as it kept the room cool.

The staff were polite at check in, and were helpful when we needed it.

I paid £35.00 for the night and felt it was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at the hotel on Saturday 20th April and never again,we had an ok sandwich at lunchtime but was horrified to hear the manager shouting at somebody behind the scenes,he then came charging through the restaurant angrily which made us very uncomfortable,were writing a formal letter to the head office to complain of this man's behaviour,Sunday morning ce and had a suprisingly delicious breakfast and the young waiter was fantastic,however everytime we looked toward the serving area the manager was doing toast and was very angry looking,we won't ever return here again when you have a manager like that,It's a shame as the other staff were polite and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
GMBury, General Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear guest,

I am very disappointed to read the contents of your recent review.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss the feedback you have left with regards the duty manager in further detail with you to allow me to fully understand, investigate and ensure that this type of behaviour does not occur within the hotel.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience on 01284 760884

Regards

Adam Brough
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Stayed at the hotel on 30th March. The double bed is pushed against the wall so its difficult for one person to get in.
Breakfast service was bad. You wait in the middle of the restaurant to be shown a table for ages as staff kept walking by. When shown the table they ask you for your order, we ordered pouched eggs on toast. After a wait they told us the eggs where ready on the hot plate. When we got there another couple where walking away with our order. We therefore had to wait again for our order. When we eventually got them and went back to the table there was no toast so had a wait again. By the time toast arrived the eggs were cold and we had to wait for new ones. Getting eggs and toast to arrive at the table at the same time seems past them. The staff were very sorry but a quick in and out for breakfast lasted one and a half hours.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family