“Good staff, shame about the rooms”

Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
wolverhampton
“Good staff, shame about the rooms”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is my first of two nights here and I have already thought of checking out and sleeping in my car.

The first room i was offered had just been re-painted and stank of paint. The fumes were giving me a headache within minutes. So i requested to move rooms. The staff were very helpful and obliged willingly.

There is however on big problem: No Air Conditioning. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel without it. have been given a fan, but It's just not cutting the mustard.

It kind of sums up this hotel. If you want a hotel that feels like something from the 1980s please stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Colchester UK
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I wasn't expecting the Ritz so wasn't upset by the odd fault. I'd happily stay here again. I'm a "real ale" fan, and there wasn't any, but it was also the hottest day of the year so I had a lager anyway. Lager was erring on the side of warm, so added ice. The menu was full of stuff, but a lot of it was "not available". This wasn't a problem as there was still a large choice, but it did give a bad impression. A typed menu with only those dishes available would have given a better impression. Food was good. Service was great with jolly banter and lots of friendly smiles. Room was excellent. Clean, comfy, bath and shower. Good nights sleep. Very handy for Bury as it's just off the A14 Bury junction, spot on. Breakfast was standard fayre; although Cheffy didn't know what kind of sausages he was cooking. The eggs are cooked to order which is great, but knowing when yours is ready can be a bit hit and miss. They were being called out by table number, but no-one seemed to know what table they were sitting at.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the road. It wasn't a real problem, but it could be if you like the windo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed one night as had business meeting nearby.

Room adequate - so average rating given.

Charged £20 against my credit card at check in, in case I ordered breakfast or drinks from bar.
Small print on counter states customers will be subject to service charges if using their credit cards, but this is not mentioned by reception.

I had hoped to book a cooked breakfast for next morning as I had a busy day ahead of me. As the hotel booking site had only offered "room only" bookings, I asked about booking a breakfast for the next morning. The price quoted for cooked breakfast was an extortionate £13.95.

In response to an earlier reviewer the manager has commented that breakfast can be pre booked and included in the room rate or can be purchased at reception for £ 10.00 per person upon check in. However, when I asked at reception at check in I was quoted £ 13.95 for breakfast, not £10 .

Also, like another reviewer, I found the room menu stating food available 24 hour. However the point that struck me was that an evening dinner, such as pizza or curry, was available 24 hours a day and could be ordered for less than the price of the breakfast! When I asked reception how an evening meal, even allowing for drinks, could be cheaper than a cooked breakfast they said they were unaware of this. When pushed about the extortionate price, they admitted a lot of people complained about it.

Feeling hungry the next morning, and about to set off to look for a value for money breakfast, we went to check out. I asked for the return of the money charged against my credit card during check in and had difficulty getting reception to understand I wanted a written receipt that the money would be returned to the card. Eventually she got the manager, who said the money had been preapproved against the card and would be cancelled when we left. The gentleman behind me in the checkout queue complained he had been charged £40 against his card. Such charges caused a lot of bad feeling towards the hotel.

Lots of disgruntled people in car park as we left.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
South Wales
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked into what we thought to be the Ramada and was disappointed to see that it wasn't. The approach to the hotel was awful the sign was covered in grass and couldn't be read or seen clearly from the road. On entering it was like going into a time warp. We were told it was due for a refit well it certainly needed. Room was basic bathroom not up to standard mould around the taps and the loo hadn't been cleaned under the rim.. Not a very welcome sight. Dinner for the first night was included and strange how all the grills were not available. My meal was ok zero for presentation a big dollop of mash half a chicken and plateful of peas and sweetcorn. Not the best.

Breakfast was also included and I was horrified to be offered mouldy bread for toast. Sausages tasted awful and beans were dried up under the heat. Not good.
I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. What is it with hotels in Bury this is the second hotel we have stayed in and both have been awful in Bury St Edmunds. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Warrington
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed for two nights in June and it was easily the most tired and dated of the Ramada hotels we have stayed in. Had very little contact with the staff, but one issue reported on arrival had not been dealt with on leaving 2 days later.
No real complaints, buit then again nothing to shout about.
If spending the night in Bury, walk in - it's a really nice stroll and takes in the Abbey gardens

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

A group of us booked into the Quality Hotel to attend a friend's wedding in Bury St. Edmunds.

When the group leader arrived, there was apparently some minor issue finding our booking (we booked direct over the phone in advance) however, this was all sorted when I arrived a few hours later.

My expectations were not high, having read some of the reviews, however the first thing I realised upon reaching the hotel was it's proximity to the busy motorway. Of course, if you look at the map, this is obvious but the pictures give the impression that the hotel is set further back from the road. This was no great issue but it's worth bearing in mind - if you're a light sleeper it would be worth requesting a room on the far side of the hotel.

The staff were perfectly friendly, breakfast was quite a reasonable, relaxed affair. We found the staff helpful and responsive but not overly attentive - which in many ways is a good thing. The room we had was a little dated in terms of décor and furniture and the mattress was overly soft for my liking and had probably reached the end of it's useful life. However, there is some work going on at the hotel to rejuvenate the rooms and I believe new beds are part of this. (the work itself was un-intrusive).

The shower was not the most invigorating I have experienced, the pressure was somewhat low but there was plenty of hot water.

The TV was pretty good - a modern flat screen, all the channels are correctly tuned and the programme guide worked - which in my experience is not always the case, even in more up market places.

Aside from the proximity to the road, the hotel is set in some pretty countryside and it's an enjoyable 15 minute walk along well signposted footpaths to get to town.

The bar area has plenty of seating and is a comfortable place to sit with a coffee (or something stronger) and recuperate from the night before.

All in all, if the rate had been £20 per night cheaper, I'd have been entirely satisfied. As it stands I slightly regret not paying a bit more and staying somewhere more central. However, it served it's purpose and if you're looking for something fairly basic but reasonably welcoming, it's worth a look It's a big place so would work particularly well for large bookings (so long as the bookings don't get misplaced).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper - or just not a car spotter - ask for a room on the side of the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed for a weekend in June and was more than satisfied. After reading some of the reviews I can only presume they are getting all the problems sorted. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Bed comfy and clean and we could not fault our room and bathroom. Location very good. We always walked into the centre and got a taxi back because the walk through didn't seem very well lit. Taxi was about £5. On the down side I did think the breakfast was expensive. We did eat at Sainsburys cafe which was over the road which was a lot cheaper. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple