“Improving compared to recent reviews!”

Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
norwich
“Improving compared to recent reviews!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Room was clean and adequate, service was good at reception and excellent on Saturday, but average on Sunday for breakfast. We received a phone message the day before we were going to say the restaurant was closed in the evening for the 2 days we were there, which wasn't a problem for us, but for some less fitter people, I am sure it would be, as town centre and facilities are 3/4-1 mile away! No problem with car parking as there is enough space for 200 cars.

Room Tip: Must ask for room on the other side to the dreaded A14, which is very close!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 3 March 2014

my first impressions of the hotel were not great. The building itself is dated and tired and could do with a complete refurb this side of 1990 and the service at check in was slow... There is no lift and 1000 stairs to my room.. The room was basic no trouser press, no safe, no iron and a basic bathroom which was reasonably clean! The room itself is again dated and tired and the window didn't shut properly! I stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks while working! I had breakfast and dinner there everyday, The breakfast was a cooked and continental well there was a basic cooked breakfast, some cereal and a toaster that didn't work properly. Also I am a vegetarian and the staff seemed mortified at the fact I asked for veggie sausages for breakfast! The tables in the dining room were sticky also. The dinner meals were slighty better with a larger choice available, although when you had selected the meal they would often come out 30 mins later to tell you that the meal you has ordered was out of stock and not available. The staff were quite friendly and seem to make the most of a bad situation. I wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Edward C
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Started badly when the room was still being cleaned late so had to wait to get in. Got up for breakfast in the morning after noisy staff messing about outside the rooms in the hall with towels etc.. Went down for brekkie got a plate off the cook who tried to get dried egg off it with his thumb nail so I asked for another plate. My missus made me a tea and the cup was dirty and had a crack from top to bottom. Luckily on check out the receptionist didn't ask about the stay.

• Stayed February 2014

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was one of the worst experiences that I have had staying at a hotel. We had booked four rooms for members of our family and on arrival and checking in we headed up to our room. The minute we opened the door we were greeted by the strong smell of sewage from within. We went inside to find half the light did not work so tried to ring reception, the phone did not work either!
On going to reception and outlining what we has found we were informed 'well I can't see what can be wrong with the room, I slept in it last night, I suppose I should give you another one.'

Our second room on the ground floor was clean and comfortable although I was a bit concerned to find that the electrical test certificates on appliances were out of date by at least 18 months.

Dinner followed and a very nice waitress served us. What followed was shocking. The menu was basic but 4 of us ordered the Best British Beef Burger at 12.95, must be good we thought for that price, see the photo as words hardly describe the two tiny burgers in a huge bun with a scrap of cheese and nothing else. The menu had said it would be served with a side salad and chips. Well the chips were something I would not expect to be sold in Iceland and there was not salad.

On raising concerns to the waitress she actually stated that she embarrassed by the food that she has to serve and there was nothing she could do as it was the what the chef gave her to take out. We asked to speak to the manager and he too agreed about the poor quality and was very apologetic and embarrassed. He ensured that we had some free drink by way of an apology.

On heading to our room later that night had noticed a large man leaning on the bar watching TV on the customers side. We looked for the night porter to get a drink to take to our room and discovered that the man at the bar was him! Very informally and obviously a pit put out and got off his seat, moaning and telling us how we would have to charge it to our room. I did think night porters would actually do something, or at least not sit at the bar whilst customers were around,

The next two mornings the breakfast was meager and very cheap looking. I was meant to be a buffet but you had to ask for fresh bacon to to made as what was there was dried out. There was nothing by the way of fresh fruit or muffins etc. Just a cheap toaster where you could do two slices of bread in about 8 minutes, with the few other customers staying in the hotel waiting behind you.

Other issues, and there were many included constantly being locked out of our room because of the key card failing or the batteries in the door lock being flat and staff not sure on how to fix it.

On checking out we did discover that we had drinks charges to our room that we never had. The manager did sort this out quickly as I think he was so embarrassed.

We had stayed in this hotel when it was the Ramada and although we did not expect too much this was such a let down. Surely it just needs to close if it can not do things right. The whole place, especially the communal areas need a complete overhaul.

My advice is don't stay here, it really is that bad, I blame Quality Inn for doing things on the cheap and not investing the hotel and the staff, after all you cannot do something with nothing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank grahamf3
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Despite feedback, tea cups were stained and water jugs had a nasty residue.

Receptionist sitting on the desk and mumbled directions on arrival.

On the plus side, there was lots of parking and it was easy to find.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SunshineRocksEngland
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Waited 15 minutes to check in and 15 minutes at the bar waiting to be served despite a number of staff around but no one showing any interest in serving a customer. Awful service. The restaurant service was just as bad. Cold (literally) and unwelcoming. Main guy serving walked pass me twice before acknowledging me. After all of 3 people had eating before me, they had ran out of steaks. Walked back to my room, key card not working, walk back to reception. Walked back to my room, key card not working (again), walk back to reception. Walked back to my room, key card not working (yes again, third time) walk back to reception. Finally got to bed to the sounds of cars rushing past on the A14. I think l can safely say this will be my first and last stay at this hotel or any other Quality Hotel. Quality Hotel! ......now that's a JOKE right! Plenty of choice in the town centre which this hotel isn't, 2 mile walk or taxi to get there. There you go! Recommend you find somewhere else. I wonder if the Managing Director ever reads these reports? Obviously not!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Rob20042004
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

On arrival I had to wade through the oil smog that was spread across the reception! Gross!
When I was seen to by the small truck at reception, I was shown to
my room; equipped with broken trouser press and turd stained toilet!
My towel was damp and pebble dashed with small hairs, not nice!
It was ok though because the 3 hangers I was given to hang up 7 days worth of clothes made everything ok?! Oh do I detect sarcasm????
Overall a very pleasant stay.
Oh and the food was weak.
0 stars!!!!