If anyone has ever seen the TV program "I'm Alan Partridge" they will find this hotel very familiar. In the program Alan having fallen on hard times lives in a cheap hotel by a busy A road. The hotel is typical 90's in both style and decor with some indifferent staff thrown in.
On arriving at this hotel I actually thought I had found the same hotel Alan Partridge lived in. A time warp to 1997. All brick, painted wood and cheap furnishings. I'm guessing this hotel was built in the 90's and in all honesty I think it has not seen one refurbishment during that time. The receptionist could barely raise a smile. To be fair I doubt I would smile if I worked here.
I would not have chosen this hotel if I had a choice. At late notice I had a business appointment in Bury St Edmunds and my company hotel booking system only offered this hotel with available rooms. That should have be a warning I guess.
My room was OK to be fair. Bed was clean and comfortable. Bathroom desperately needs a refurbishment though. The bath was so old the plastic had discoloured - but shower worked fine and hot water was available in the morning. Had a few other guests staying the night too (I counted five spiders). The room also had some great 90's style pictures and furniture. The free wi-fi (without any stupid firewalls or sign up requirements) I have to say was a breath of fresh air and quick enough for streaming.
Breakfast was OK too. Sausages were good quality as was the bacon. Yoghurts and some fruit was available along with a very large plate of cheddar cheese oddly enough. Coffee is from a machine (weak, tasteless) and the apple juice I think had a sugar content of 90% (might now be diabetic).
I thought for the price (£57 including breakfast on my company rate) was pushing it where I thought in this day and age chain hotels had really stepped up their game and places like this just don't exist any more or had long been refurbished.
Two starts purely for having a good nights sleep and free wi-fi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly the Quality Hotel Bury St Edmunds, this is a modern hotel located close to the historic town of Bury St Edmunds. Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds is located on the edge of the delightful old town and is in close proximity to Cambridge, Ely and Newmarket, making it the ideal base from which to explore the charms of East Anglia. When choosing hotels in Bury St Edmunds, the comfortable surroundings and great service make Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds a great choice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Bury St. Edmunds Hotel Bury St. Edmunds
- Bury St. Edmunds Ramada
- Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds Suffolk