Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Chantry Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
View Hotel
The Angel Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
View Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
View Hotel
All Saints Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If anyone has ever seen the TV program "I'm Alan Partridge" they will find this hotel very familiar. In the program Alan having fallen on hard times lives in a cheap hotel by a busy A road. The hotel is typical 90's in both style and decor with some indifferent staff thrown in.

On arriving at this hotel I actually thought I had found the same hotel Alan Partridge lived in. A time warp to 1997. All brick, painted wood and cheap furnishings. I'm guessing this hotel was built in the 90's and in all honesty I think it has not seen one refurbishment during that time. The receptionist could barely raise a smile. To be fair I doubt I would smile if I worked here.

I would not have chosen this hotel if I had a choice. At late notice I had a business appointment in Bury St Edmunds and my company hotel booking system only offered this hotel with available rooms. That should have be a warning I guess.

My room was OK to be fair. Bed was clean and comfortable. Bathroom desperately needs a refurbishment though. The bath was so old the plastic had discoloured - but shower worked fine and hot water was available in the morning. Had a few other guests staying the night too (I counted five spiders). The room also had some great 90's style pictures and furniture. The free wi-fi (without any stupid firewalls or sign up requirements) I have to say was a breath of fresh air and quick enough for streaming.

Breakfast was OK too. Sausages were good quality as was the bacon. Yoghurts and some fruit was available along with a very large plate of cheddar cheese oddly enough. Coffee is from a machine (weak, tasteless) and the apple juice I think had a sugar content of 90% (might now be diabetic).

I thought for the price (£57 including breakfast on my company rate) was pushing it where I thought in this day and age chain hotels had really stepped up their game and places like this just don't exist any more or had long been refurbished.

Two starts purely for having a good nights sleep and free wi-fi.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Camille W
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We went to a nearby wedding and this hotel was on the list. Having read the reviews we were expecting the worst but were very pleasantly surprised. It was ideal for our overnight stay and the room was clean and comfortable. The bed was the best I have slept in. Breakfast was just about edible but can't comment on dinner. If you are looking for the travel lodge experience this is it (minus Toby Carvery). Would visit again if in Bury. 6.5 out of 10.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

After reading lots of quite negative reviews I was expecting the worst. However, the room was clean albeit a little tired around the edges. There was plenty of pillows and even a couple of toiletries. When asked for extra coffee, tea and milk they were brought to the room within minutes. The staff were pleasant and attentive. The bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a hairdryer provided. If you are looking for luxury then this hotel isn't for you but if you want a clean room, helpful staff and value for money this is a good choice.

I didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces away from the A14 as it can be rather noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bendy-Yendy
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Situated close to Bury St Edmunds (car recommended) a clean and comfortable bed for the night but could do oh so much better. Decor a little "dated" but that could be overlooked if the staff were more welcoming. Breakfast is uninspiring with very little choice - they had runout of yoghurt on the first morning of our stay, not replaced by the second day. We chose poached eggs on the first morning and on the second were asked of we would like scrambled or fried - the "chef" apparently doesn't like doing "poached". Overall rating 6/10

Room Tip: Next to busy A14 but no noise, with windows closed - so not a problem
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel in April 2014 for 1 night.
I had read previous reviews so didn't expect much but it was close to the wedding venue that we was attending and as was good value so i still went ahead and booked it.
We found the rooms very clean and a decent size and the beds were extremely comfortable and more importantly for me at least it had decent pillows.
I think the breakfast at £10 per head was a bit expensive but it was very good nonetheless and considering the price for the room overall the hotel was very good value for money.
We spoke to the receptionist on checkout and she confirmed that the hotel had new owners and had undergone a refit so i can only assume that negative reviews we from before this.
If i was to find fault it would be that the bottom sheet was too small for the bed and there was only 1 bath towel in the room although more was available if you wanted from reception.But as i say i am being very "picky" in finding those faults.
I would not hesitate to book this hotel should i need to visit Bury again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple