“awful breakfast” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“awful breakfast”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

had the experience of staying at this hotel for couple of night due to working in area, rooms were ok, clean and bed was comfy, how ever the experience of breakfast was just amazing, the staff who were meant to be looking after the dinners really were not interested in anything, the white and brown bread was stale and yes there really was a penicillin thing going on with the whole loaf, having pointed this out to said staff all i got was " i will get another loaf" not one word of sorry passed their lips, not one single manager around to complain, not at 7.20 am or at 16.40 pm maybe in that hotel they work part time, the hot food was doing a valiant attempt to warm it self up and failed badly, i would definitely not advise staying there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank palfry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had read some bad reviews but booked anyway for a one night stay as thought it was in a good location. The staff especially had some bad reviews but all 5 that we interacted with were excellent helpful and friendly. The location is not quite what I expected and all in all didn't fancy the route into the town on foot 1.1 mile or not!!
Plenty of parking and handy for Sainsburys. Dated foyer but room was fine, clean and well equipped First room had a poor toilet flush but when notified reception they acted quickly and then moved our room.Bathroom had clean grout and seals but shower was pathetic. Bed had a central pull which made a poor night's sleep. Overall OK but nothing special but the staff were great

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stay in this hotel regularly with my fiance as we like the area, the hotel is okay.. little out dated and could do with a lick of paint. Beds are slanted on one side, the complimentary shower gel and shampoo reek to high heaven, mirror had burn marks and so did the table (room 207), pervy, eavesdropping staff standing outside our door listening at ridiculous hours (we expect privacy during our stay), not enough tea making equipment (sugar and milk), baths are a little on the small side and no slip mat, my fiance almost broke his neck in the bath, I don't like not being able to remove the shower head from the wall, windows don't open enough, receptionists are not good at communicating with customers and aren't very welcoming (service with a smile goes a long way), breakfast should be included in the extortionate prices for room only and what's up with the room prices changing daily?!

Also the towels smell strange, I don't know what you wash it in but please change it BUT the pros of this hotel are that the bed is comfortable, nice television, good mirror for doing makeup, cute bunnies outside the hotel, nice and warm in room, some staff are very helpful but its not too bad of a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

On arrival I was treated by the most charming and delightful receptionist.

The hotel is showing its age with everything looking a bit the worse for wear. My room was clean and the bathroom had all the required bits and bobs.

I didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food.

This hotel was the same money as a travelodge but much better in terms of facilities and comforts in the room.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would if I was paying no more than £45 room only.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Isle of Wight
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Basic accommodation, functional. The staff are abysmal...I doubt they have any customer service training! They are rude and disinterested in their jobs choosing to spend time chatting to each other than paying attention to the clients. I had to insist on staying in the same room for 3 nights which I had booked in advance; I was told I would have to move for the last night as the hotel was full...go figure! If the hotel was full that went all bedrooms were taken so why move me to another room. I had to stay with the receptionist and practically spell out how she could rectify the problem before I had the assurance that I did not need to move rooms after all. The furniture is well passed it use by date and there is very poor choice of wines and real beer and I don't mean lager (the bar staff think beer means lager)! AND what the heck is the thing with the eggs at breakfast...you have to order your eggs then collect them yourself from a highish shelf, mmm, slides fried egg on a plate above eye line! Then you had other bits to your plate but the toast is on the other side of the room so either your breakfast is cold by the toast is done or you do your toast first and wait for the mystery eggs to be cooked by which time the toast is cold!

I had to stay here as a last resort due to all the decent hotels being fully booked or too far out of town without a car. It wasn't even cheap, at nearly £80 a night I certainly would expect better value for money and much better service. Next time I would rather stay in tent on the A14!

I must add this hotel hasn't really changed its service despite changing its name several times over the years...dreadful!

Room Tip: Don't stay here would be my tip!
4 Thank Joulescm

Travellers are raving about these Bury St Edmunds hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Friendly staff and rooms were fine regarding space and comfort levels just a bit tired.
The whole place feels like its seen better days and could do with a coat of paint and a new lease of life.
Its proximity to Bury St Edmunds meant it was convenient for my business use.

Melksham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

If anyone has ever seen the TV program "I'm Alan Partridge" they will find this hotel very familiar. In the program Alan having fallen on hard times lives in a cheap hotel by a busy A road. The hotel is typical 90's in both style and decor with some indifferent staff thrown in.

On arriving at this hotel I actually thought I had found the same hotel Alan Partridge lived in. A time warp to 1997. All brick, painted wood and cheap furnishings. I'm guessing this hotel was built in the 90's and in all honesty I think it has not seen one refurbishment during that time. The receptionist could barely raise a smile. To be fair I doubt I would smile if I worked here.

I would not have chosen this hotel if I had a choice. At late notice I had a business appointment in Bury St Edmunds and my company hotel booking system only offered this hotel with available rooms. That should have be a warning I guess.

My room was OK to be fair. Bed was clean and comfortable. Bathroom desperately needs a refurbishment though. The bath was so old the plastic had discoloured - but shower worked fine and hot water was available in the morning. Had a few other guests staying the night too (I counted five spiders). The room also had some great 90's style pictures and furniture. The free wi-fi (without any stupid firewalls or sign up requirements) I have to say was a breath of fresh air and quick enough for streaming.

Breakfast was OK too. Sausages were good quality as was the bacon. Yoghurts and some fruit was available along with a very large plate of cheddar cheese oddly enough. Coffee is from a machine (weak, tasteless) and the apple juice I think had a sugar content of 90% (might now be diabetic).

I thought for the price (£57 including breakfast on my company rate) was pushing it where I thought in this day and age chain hotels had really stepped up their game and places like this just don't exist any more or had long been refurbished.

Two starts purely for having a good nights sleep and free wi-fi.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Camille W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Dragonfly Hotel Colchester
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Dragonfly Hotel Bury St Edmunds? Share your experiences!