“A great deal of charm!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
London, UK
“A great deal of charm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

After a stay at their sister hotel 'The Salthouse' for a business trip, I thought my partner & I would give The Angel a whirl and I have to say we wasn't disappointed. This hotel is full of charm & is in the heart of Bury St Ed's. It has a very relaxed vibe, staff are again very friendly & attentive... not over bearing. Our room was stunning, we splashed out on a junior suite with a copper bath, it was worth every penny! Room also included flat screen tv, quality tea & coffee facilities, Temple Spa toiletries (including hair conditioner) plus free wi-fi. Dinner was absolutely suburb & very reasonably priced... we had the venison & hake. Breakfast was also excellent... a good offering too (more then most 4* or 5* hotels & cooked to order) I had poached eggs & smoked salmon on a bagel & my partner the Suffolk grill both we found to be excellent! The car park was full but a member of staff was on hand to take care of it. The hotel is ideally located to visit the boutique shops & the other sites of Bury... Abbey gate / gardens, smallest pub in England etc.

Room Tip: If Car Park full & no valet around speak to reception... we didn't pay for parking. Get a co...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a super review of the Angel. I am pleased that you enjoyed everything and that you have also spent time at our sister hotel the Salthouse Harbour hotel in Ipswich. I hope you are on my mailing list!!

Thank you again, and I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I discovered this hotel through one of their special lunch deals when visiting Bury and felt i just had to come back, I have since enjoyed several stays here. It is perfectly positioned to explore this beautiful and friendly market town. Food here is very good and the free valet parking is a real plus in Bury.
I understand that there is a current room and roof refurbishment program at the moment, hence some scaffolding at the back of the hotel. I must admit that one room I stayed in was a little tired but by no means dirty or uncomfortable (far from it) but it had terrific views over the Cathedral and Abbey. Other rooms I have stayed in have been stunning, particularly when I pointed out to reception, at check in that it was a special weekend for my wife and I.
I am really sold on this hotel and I am looking forward to my next visit at the end of September for my Birthday.

Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Its so nice that your first experienced the hotel through having lunch, and have been sold since then. I am pleased that you enjoy what the hotel offers.
We have had roof works going on, improvments that must be done, and I am pleased to say that we are just about finished.!
I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Angel soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed one Friday night in early September. Booked 3 rooms one for work colleauge and one for business guest. Unfortunately my guest had awful train journey and arrived in Cambridge at 9:40pm instead of 6:15pm, so spent most of the evening in Cambridge train station car park! Hotel room was OK the view from the window looked at a block of flats at the rear complete with scaffolding, which if this was a personal stay I might have objected to. The room and bathroom were fine. By the time we got back to the hotel from the train station it was 10:30pm and all we had were the sandwiches and a small cheeseboard that we pre-ordered whist waiting in Cambridge.
Up and away to work by 7:20am on the Saturday which means we missed breakfast as this does not start until 8:00am.
Room OK, lounge and decor OK but because of work commitments could not really see or use much of the hotel facilities. The view at the front looks great and maybe a return with partner someday with more spare time would be something to look forward to.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the Angel, I have certainly taken your comments on board. I have had some roof works done, and am pleased to say that they have almost been completed.

I am reviewing currently with my excecuative chef on what we offer our guests late on in the evening as our restaurant does close currently at 9.30pm.
On weekends we do open our breakfast room at 8.00am but we can most certainly do breakfast for you before hand, either in your room or in the restaurant, I am sorry that this was not communicated to you when you arrived.
I hope we can welcome you back to the angel again soon
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Booked a night here for a friends wedding in August and was pleasantly surprised.

Location- centre of Bury St Edmunds, excellent valet parking service (a definite plus!), a stones throw from a number of nice bars and restaurants.

The hotel has a beautiful front with foliage and flowers covering it all, the decor of the hotel is very plush as you'd expect in any nice country hotel. Its surprisingly modern, with lots of comfy sofas, wood panelling, funky ornaments and modern art/ photo's dotted around the place.

I have to say since i was so impressed with the general funky modern feel of the hotel i probably had unrealistic expectations for my room. I was disappointed with the rooms decor. The rooms were a good size, nice and clean, but i felt that the furniture was a little dated. The bathroom had old fittings and the bathtub looked very worn out.

The biggest surprised however turned out to be the complimentary breakfast. DON'T MISS THIS!!! The hotel has an excellent restaurant on site which is usually fully booked. I was very pleased to discover that the complimentary breakfast was a formal cooked meal there. The menu choice was huge- I had the excellent full english and my partner had the eggs bendict. It was a great chilled out formal breakfast experience in a trendy restaurant that would have probably cost us 30 pounds if we weren't guests. Extracting the cost of the breakfast from the usual room rate then makes it much better value for money!

Defeinitely worth getting up for- even if you're tired and hungover!!!

1 Thank Red_Three
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay with us at The Angel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all our curiosities around the hotel!
I am sorry that the room did not meet your expectations.
I will pass on your kind comments to my chef, I am pleased you enjoyed your Suffolk breakfast.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Had a lovely birthday weekend here. The room was small but beautifully decorated and had everything you needed. Meal in the restaurant in the evening was fabulous. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kim1966
Thank you for a super review.
I am pleased you enjoyed everything about the hotel.
Hope to welcome you back soon!
Essex UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Spent one night here for the for the first time. We had a lovely room (Dickens room) to our surprise with a four poster bed, which was the ultimate in comfort. We missed breakfast and on mentioning it were offered toast tea and coffee.
The area the Hotel is in is wonderful such a lot of history - designer shops and the smallest pub in England (The Nut Shell). Shall definiately return to this Hotel in the future.
One complaint only - be careful of the stairs in the Dickens room - very dangerous especiall when one has had a drink ot two. (badly bruised arm)

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We thorughly enjoyed staying in this lovely country town hotel again. Splendid room, fine service, restaurant and food very good and the lounge area very comfortable. We were travelling with a disabled person who needed quite a bit of help and attention and he felt that he certainly got it from the moment he arrived until he checked out.
Thank you, The Angel Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!