We stayed at The Angel for the Endurance World Championships at Euston Park - the location was perfect. Despite us being completely indecisive about rooms, timings etc. the staff at the hotel were consistently accommodating and patient. There were no mistakes made, which was surprising as it was a very complicated booking.
The room styles were interesting and individual. Ours faced into a small courtyard which was very noisy in the morning. The blind over our Bull's Eye window was also not blacked out so we would wake with the sun but the bed was quite comfortable and the duvet was a lovely light feather number.
They seemed to source a lot of their decorations, food, drinks etc, locally which was nice. The food is a bit hit and miss though. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was terrible. Devilled kidneys were delicious, the red fruit sauce on the duck almost inedible! The buttermilk pancakes, that I had with bacon and maple syrup instead of the listed berries, was DELICOUS!! I had it every morning! The same could be said for the cocktails: the mojito was disgusting but the Amaretto Sour was fab. And the decor...completely mismatched, luminous rabbits act as lights sitting next to a traditional oil painting, spindley aluminium lights and heavy country tweed upholstered furniture - it didn't work at all. The bar area is also very dark, particularly if you head there to read the papers after breakfast!
There was one waiter in particular who was more than efficient but I never got to ask his name. He was zipping around sorting everything out.
We would stay here again on business but not for a personal trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Georgian ivy clad 4 star boutique hotel and restaurant in Suffolk surprises with a twist of urban chic. Our Suffolk hotel is right in the heart of Bury St Edmunds town centre and everything is just a step from here. Explore winding, cobbled, shop filled streets and a plethora of ancient architecture on the doorstep. Once inside, The Angel Hotel is a curious contrast of comfy contemporary design with touches of exotic grandeur. Warm leather sofas vie for your company in the lounge, which is filled with curiosities, pop art, eccentric oddities and cool vintage furniture. It is a hotel of many different aspects all artfully blended together into an exciting package and the bedrooms are no exception. The Angel Eaterie has a great reputation and dining here is a culinary treat. Take the steps down into the decadently curious Wingspan Cocktail Bar & Lounge located in the 12th Century vaults under the Hotel. Wingspan is the perfect location to meet with friends, for pre-dinner drinks, or simply to relax after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Angel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds
- Angel Bury St Edmunds
- The Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk