“Good Hotel - wide range of room standards though” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Yorkshire
“Good Hotel - wide range of room standards though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times on business, had some really great, individual rooms but also some well below expecations. One was above the kitchen door and the staff start at 5:45 and slam the door every 5 minutes, other was in the new bit - more plaster cracks than you could count. The good rooms are really good - worth paying for an upgrades just for the enormous bathrooms.
Breakfasts are also excellent

Room Tip: Older rooms facing the square
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

The was the second Christmas running that my mother & myself have stayed at The Angel over the festive season, and once again we experienced wonderful customer service.
No one quite does Christmas like The Angel, and this magnificent hotel really does get into the festive spirit.
The five course Christmas Day meal was again, first class, as was the breakfast and evening meals. Truly superb.
My mother unfortunately sustained an injury, and the hotel really were tremendous with their help, from the first aider (thank you Chris!) to the regular ice packs we required being brought to us and the kind consideration of all staff.
Customer device really is world class at The Angel.
I can only recommend The Angel in the highest terms possible.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your Christmas break at The Angel. It is always wonderful to see familiar faces at the hotel, especially over the festive period. I have passed your thanks on to Chris, and we hope your mother has made a speedy recovery. We look forward to seeing you both again in the future.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Lovely hotel, staff were extremely polite and helpful.

Room was very nice with a 4 posted bed and big bathroom and toilet. Like most UK hotels I'd stayed with it could do with a little modernising but no problems. Oddly there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room?

New bar in the basement was excellent, best Cosmopolitan I'd had in a long time. Of course hotel prices aren't cheap, but that's expected

I did have one problem, I had booked the hotel for a night out in Bury St Edmunds. Being a hotel I thought I could gain access at any time, I returned from my night out around 1am and found the hotel to be throughly locked up and lights off! I tried the door intercom - No Answer, tried the phone number - No Answer. So I was basically locked out of a 4/5 star hotel and starting to wonder where the nearest homeless shelter was!

Fortunately another guest was locked out too ...and he was (very luckily) able to call a colleague inside the hotel to come down and open the door.

Now I could of been mistakem but there might have been a curfew, but I'd stayed at budget Travel Inn's and similar without any problem, so this never crossed my mind! So be warned and be home before they close!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MrModo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. All feedback is important to us to enable us to constantly improve on both service and standards. I am saddend to hear that you were unable to gain access to the hotel on returning from your evening out. We have a Night Porter at the hotel to ensure guests are able to enter the hotel at all times. I apologise that on this occasion this was not done. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed for one night in December where we had a friends birthday party in the dining room and then in the vaults down below. The food is excellent, the service 1st class and the staff amazing. The decor and style of the hotel is modern without losing the taste of history that the building quite clearly has. We will certainly stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your friend's birthday celebrations with us so much. We hope to see you at The Angel again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Last stop on our trip to the UK, so refreshing to have such nice and helpful staff, was visiting my son in Lakenheath and this was such a great place to stay, the location is excellent, would not have changed anything, so charming and comfortable, can't say enough about the staff and how quickly they responded to any request, I would stay here again no question,

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Amersham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Judging from the other recent comments on here, we must have called on a day that the chef was off. Food was pretentious in the gastro pub manner and sadly disappointing.
I started with the garlic, truffle oil and leek risotto which was tasty but no more than a couple of small mouthfuls, artfully bolstered with a serving of bread.
For my main, I had chosen pig's cheeks from the online menu only to discover that the menu had changed but the web site hadn't.
Intrigued by the description I then chose what was described as 'The Angel burger' with 'pulled' pork, apple, beetroot and pickle, assuming that this was a pork burger using meat that was slow cooked to ensure tenderness - an interesting concept. I was presented with a perfectly adequate but quite ordinary beef burger unprepossessingly presented in a dry bap. A closer examination revealed that the 'pulled' pork was actually two very small pieces of said meat resting on top of the burger with a couple of similar pieces of apple and some julienne of beetroot. The pickle was half a gherkin sliced lengthwise. The whole meal appeared most unappetising and lived up to its appearance. It really needed some greenery for balance (and digestion) and some mayo or at the very least, some real pickle since the whole meal was desperately dry and lacked any interest.
My wife choose the salt beef hash - it seems to be a signature dish since it appeared on the online menu. This would have been an alternative for me, but it turns out that this was as equally unappetising as my choice - indeed it would be quite difficult to have guessed that the meal actually contained salt beef - certainly none of our dining companions who tried a mouthful could identify its presence from the chewy contents offered.
For pudding I queried the 'Christmas pastry'. I had originally assumed it to be a form of mince pie, but given the vagueness of other descriptions on the menu thought I should check. I was none the wiser when the waitress insisted that it was a pastry and a pudding. We all took it that she meant that the dish was a pudding in the sense that it was a dessert, but no - it proved to be a Christmas pudding (much too sticky) 'en croute' - a completely unnecessary combination − as if the chef was trying to make some sort of statement with regard to his abilities that unfortunately got lost in translation.
All in all we were very disappointed, having driven for nearly two hours for lunch with friends.
In fairness I should add that my immediate neighbour was pleased with her mussel and clam linguine and another of our party liked her salmon starter, so not all bad. Maybe we should have chosen differently, however we will not be looking for any opportunity to try again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Home Counties UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

You could easily drive past The Angel - I know, I did. Although i had been there many years ago and had a clear picture in my mind of my destination, on arrival there was nothing to indicate that the front of the Hotel is just that - the Angel Hotel. Certainly no signage that may be seen from the road across a busy car park that's for certain, and not much (any?) when you walk up to it. I asked a bystander for confirmation... But perseverance pays off because once inside the charm of the building hits you in spades. Staff are numerous, courteous and efficient. The ambience is very warm, and 'cushiony comfortable'. The decor is smart, traditional and appealing.

The food is excellent, well cooked and served in elegantly sufficient portions. The wine list is sure to satisfy most and prices are reasonable.

There is good parking at the rear of the Hotel served by staff who offer the usual valet parking service, which is just as well given that you will be located in the very centre of the charming town of Bury St Edmunds with.

A delightful venue all round - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!