“Friendliest staff I have come across”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Solihull
“Friendliest staff I have come across”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

All staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Third visit (all business) lovely rooms. Highly recommend the breakfasts. Not many decent hotels in the area and this one goes out of its way to be a little different.
Restaurant food a little rich & ok if you enkoy game.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Thompsons_hols
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I will be sure to pass your lovely comments through to my staff. I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
.Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Been going for years to the angel and it has always been our special place. This trip however was a Huge disappointment. Terrible old bed so horrifically unconfortable that we were awake most of the night! The food was good but not great , had to send back first bottle of wine as it was utterly undrinkable, the selection of moderately priced good red wines was extremely poor, this is inexcusable, good affordable reds are readily available in most good restaurants. The saving grace of the angel is the brilliant staff. They are helpful polite and mostly very charming. The place needs a bit of TLC and overall attention to detail has slipped. Its a real shame, but won't be hurrying back anytime soon. In the current economic climate when spending a couple of hundred quid for a night away I want to be sure I am getting value for money and a good nights sleep....... We didn't get either during this visit to the Angel..

Room Tip: Don't go into the classic rooms!!. Less classic than they are just plain run down and shabby
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley D
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Feedback is always important to us so that we can improve the service and standards that we provide. I am disappointed to read that our wine list is not to your taste, we work hard to offer a wide range of quality wines that show good value and work well with our food. I am sorry that your overally experience of The Angel was not a good one, and I hope you may consider returning in the future.
cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

I've long enjoyed the excellent service, ambience and food at the Angel, but sadly the standards are waning. True the staff are attentive but the details of quality are slipping. The room we had (classic, top floor) had ancient beds with a stained mattress, a very weak shower and the walls too thin. The room was boiling hot despite the window open all night, and a fair amount of dust.
Breakfast portions have shrunk, the yoghurt, honey and almonds in particular, the berry smoothy a mass of skins and lacking the creaminess of previous experiences.
In the past a plate of warm salted focaccia with signature oilve oil has been replaced by a slab of bland butter and two bits of rather dull bread. My main dish was not hot, the partridge red with blood and tough.
I know this all sounds pedantic but two visits in the past two weeks confirm these observations signal a tangible loss of quality.
I could whinge about other details, which I did with front of house but to their credit notes were taken and sincere apologies given.
The Angel has long exuded excellence but I'll not be back for the time being. Management needs to review to halt this decline. Over £180 for DBB? Not worth it at present to my mind.....

Room Tip: Front Classic rooms, dated but much more character. Beware the rattling windows and street noise tho...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Angel on Trip Advisor. On this occasion I am sorry that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I have taken all your comments on board. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel.
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I always have at least a few nights at the Angel when I visit family in Suffolk. It has been tastefully renovated in recent years and the rooms and service from staff are both excellent. The breakfast is particularly good, and I hope to visit again many times in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Angel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy your trips to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is a great example of how to bring a fabulous historical building up to date.
Modern and tasteful decor and a really warm welcome
I had a large and well decorated room and despite the cold temperatures outside (minus seven!), the room and whole hotel were very cosy
Had a excellent meal in the restaurant - really good seabass
This hotel would be ideal for a special occasion

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Angel so much. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I booked a couple of weeks before and mentioned we were getting married next door at The Athanaeum on Christmas Eve, our booking was one night for Boxing day. When we arrived the receptionist congratulated us on our marriage, i was really impressed they had obviously made a note of this during my booking phone call. When we entered our room it was beautiful, big, really well decorated and when i entered the bathroom i screamed...the copper bath i had heard about!! It transpired that we had been upgraded for our wedding. We were thrilled and felt it was such a great touch and really made our stay. We even got a hand written note on our bed that night saying congratulations, The Angel made us feel very special!Thank you. We had a lovely meal and had cocktails in the newly re furbished bar in the vaults, super cool!
The bed was so comfy and we loved the room, only down side was a heavy door banging below us til very late and then again at 5 ish am (we were in room 231) which as a light sleeper did affect my sleep.
Overall, a great hotel, superb service and we will return for our anniversary!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for leaving such a kind review of your recent stay. It was a pleasure to have been involved in your special day and would like to wish you a very happy future together. We look forward to seeing you both for your anniversary.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights over New Year after a conversation with Kat on the hotels reception. Kat was very helpful and answered all the questions I had. On arriving to the hotel all of the staff we encountered we super helpful and very accommodating, everyone from the guy who parked our car, the young guy who brought our bags up and even the manager who sorted out an issue we had with the room.

We booked an original room but on arrival was offered an upgrade to one of the suites. Kat kindly offered us to take a look round the different suites before we made up our mind and we finally settled on the romantic suite. The room was perfect and we were super pleased with it.

To summarise:

The room was fantastic
The staff were fantastic
Free wifi! Fantastic
Free valet parking, fantastic
Breakfast excellent!
Underground bar, awesome

Would we come back? Hell yeah!! Looking forward to coming back soon.

Room Tip: Go for one of the suites! The romantic was excellent!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan_from_Essex
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your New Year's stay with us. I am delighted to hear that Cat was able to be so helpful during your check in process and you found all elements of the hotel to be to your expectations. We hope you will take the time to visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!