“Fashionable and fabulous for an afternoon tipple!!”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Fashionable and fabulous for an afternoon tipple!!”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Beautiful Imposing Building in the heart of Bury St Edmonds. The inside is also very appealing, with a real eclectic mix of furniture.
The ground floor rooms nearer the entrance seemed to be set up more so for dining, and enjoying a tipple from the bar. The furniture is clean lined, modern and stylish. The deeper you venture into the belly of the building, the furniture, becomes a more quirky assorted range of deep pillowed sofas, arm chairs and luxurious cushions. An ideal place to enjoy one of the impressive Afternoon Teas, also on offer.
I only popped in for a drink, on a Saturday Lunch time, but did see some interesting sea food platters being enjoyed.
The staff were very friendly, and all in all it felt a very warm and comfortable place to partake in an afternoon snifter.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel, i hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The actual hotel is a delight! Deserves it 4 star. I was put in the coach house room 207. When I arrived they took my car round the back for my and kept my keys at reception. The room was lovely, spacious and the bed was very comfortable. I ordered room service and have venison. The food was the highlight of this stay for me! Very good food! Compliments to the chef. It's unfortunate that I stay on a Wednesday night which must be bin man day. I was awoken at 6am with the bin men making loads of noise bottles smashing and this continued for about an hour. I wouldn't go on a Wednesday if that's the case. I authentic got ready and went down for breakfast at about 8.15 where I was told there was no tables ready so if I could go and wait in the lounge. I did so and waited 15 minutes to be seated. I was then asked if I wanted some orange or apple juice, I asked for orange. The waitress came back 2 minutes later to say it had all go and I had to have apple. I then ordered fruit salad with yogurt on top, I was bought a tiny pot of old soggy fruit with no yogurt. I asked you yogurt again and they bough some in. Another tiny little pot. When checking out i was told that i was over my allowance because of my tip from dinner? i didn't give a tip and i probably would have given one if they hadn't just decided to take one anyway. i think that is really rude. From arriving to going to bed was 5 star, from getting up and leaving was 2 star... This is why I'm giving them a 3...

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Solihull
Reviewed 29 January 2013

All staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Third visit (all business) lovely rooms. Highly recommend the breakfasts. Not many decent hotels in the area and this one goes out of its way to be a little different.
Restaurant food a little rich & ok if you enkoy game.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Thompsons_hols
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I will be sure to pass your lovely comments through to my staff. I hope we will see you at the hotel again soon.
.Cambridge
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Been going for years to the angel and it has always been our special place. This trip however was a Huge disappointment. Terrible old bed so horrifically unconfortable that we were awake most of the night! The food was good but not great , had to send back first bottle of wine as it was utterly undrinkable, the selection of moderately priced good red wines was extremely poor, this is inexcusable, good affordable reds are readily available in most good restaurants. The saving grace of the angel is the brilliant staff. They are helpful polite and mostly very charming. The place needs a bit of TLC and overall attention to detail has slipped. Its a real shame, but won't be hurrying back anytime soon. In the current economic climate when spending a couple of hundred quid for a night away I want to be sure I am getting value for money and a good nights sleep....... We didn't get either during this visit to the Angel..

Room Tip: Don't go into the classic rooms!!. Less classic than they are just plain run down and shabby
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley D
LynnCowan, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Feedback is always important to us so that we can improve the service and standards that we provide. I am disappointed to read that our wine list is not to your taste, we work hard to offer a wide range of quality wines that show good value and work well with our food. I am sorry that your overally experience of The Angel was not a good one, and I hope you may consider returning in the future.
cambridge
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I've long enjoyed the excellent service, ambience and food at the Angel, but sadly the standards are waning. True the staff are attentive but the details of quality are slipping. The room we had (classic, top floor) had ancient beds with a stained mattress, a very weak shower and the walls too thin. The room was boiling hot despite the window open all night, and a fair amount of dust.
Breakfast portions have shrunk, the yoghurt, honey and almonds in particular, the berry smoothy a mass of skins and lacking the creaminess of previous experiences.
In the past a plate of warm salted focaccia with signature oilve oil has been replaced by a slab of bland butter and two bits of rather dull bread. My main dish was not hot, the partridge red with blood and tough.
I know this all sounds pedantic but two visits in the past two weeks confirm these observations signal a tangible loss of quality.
I could whinge about other details, which I did with front of house but to their credit notes were taken and sincere apologies given.
The Angel has long exuded excellence but I'll not be back for the time being. Management needs to review to halt this decline. Over £180 for DBB? Not worth it at present to my mind.....

Room Tip: Front Classic rooms, dated but much more character. Beware the rattling windows and street noise tho...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Angel on Trip Advisor. On this occasion I am sorry that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I have taken all your comments on board. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel.
brisbane
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I always have at least a few nights at the Angel when I visit family in Suffolk. It has been tastefully renovated in recent years and the rooms and service from staff are both excellent. The breakfast is particularly good, and I hope to visit again many times in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Angel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy your trips to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

This is a great example of how to bring a fabulous historical building up to date.
Modern and tasteful decor and a really warm welcome
I had a large and well decorated room and despite the cold temperatures outside (minus seven!), the room and whole hotel were very cosy
Had a excellent meal in the restaurant - really good seabass
This hotel would be ideal for a special occasion

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Angel so much. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!