“OK if you like an early start!”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Bradford, United Kingdom
“OK if you like an early start!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had some leave to use up so my wife and I decided to go away for a couple of nights - we chose this hotel because we found a cracking deal for it on Secret Escapes and the reviews were so good on TripAdvisor.

First impressions were good. The very friendly valet took our car for us and advised that we were a little early for check-in. Official check-in time is 2pm but he said we should be OK to check in at 1. Off we went for a wander round Bury St. Edmund's, returning around 1:30.

Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready - the receptionist advised us to take a seat and have a coffee (which we were charged for), and that he'd come and get us when our room was ready. He never did, so we approached the desk and were duly checked in, with the same valet giving us a hand to our room.

The decor at this hotel will not be to everyone's tastes. Animal skins are the order of the day, with one chair even having a zebra's mane on it. It's quirky, though, and the Wingspan Bar is a lovely, if expensive, place to spend an evening, with attentive and friendly waiting staff.

The bedroom was well-appointed, nice selection of refreshments including ground coffee and speciality teas, but only one biscuit. There is a card advising that if you need anything else you can call reception, but it seems a bit petty just to ask for another biscuit (they were aware that the room was double occupancy) - it seems just that little bit mean. The bathroom was spacious and well furnished, and let down only by a plastic toilet seat. Again, a very minor point but it does detract from the overall finish of the bathroom - especially in a hotel that boasts very proudly of its four star status on its exterior and in its advertising.

Sadly, the WiFi didn't work, and when we called reception to enquire about it we were confidently told that there was free WiFi and it was complimentary throughout the hotel. When we questioned this as we couldn't connect, the response was that there were issues with it earlier in the day and they had to reset it, but no offer of trying to put it right. We'll just do without the advertised inclusive WiFi then, shall we?

The bed was comfortable and we slept uninterrupted, until shortly before 7am the next morning when a recycling lorry rather loudly transposed some glass bottles from one container into another. This was shortly followed by a delivery to the hotel, and the refuse collection. When we complained to the reception we got an apology and a promise to "have a word with the council", but again, no proactive response.

Breakfast was disappointing. The first day, bacon was underdone. Asked for it to be "a little bit more well done than yesterday" the next morning - it came cremated. Poached egg had a distinct twang of vinegar. My wife's bacon sandwich (on the first morning) was swimming in butter. Pancakes (the next morning) were very heavy. Coffee was served both mornings from a cafetiere - I don't think it's really acceptable in this day and age to serve stewed coffee when espresso machines are so commonplace, especially when the charge for breakfast is £15 per person if not included in the room rate!

The really noticeable thing about this hotel is that, with the exception of the valet (who was really excellent) nobody asked how anything was - from the (two different) waiting staff at breakfast to the receptionist checking us out.

It's a real shame that this amazing building, where Charles Dickens once stayed, which is very imaginatively decorated creating a fabulously unique vibe, is let down by small details. I don't get annoyed when things go wrong, provided that some effort is made to put them right. There didn't seem to be any appetite to do this - either when we actively reported a problem (which is the hotel's golden opportunity to impress, and learn, from feedback) or even to check that things are okay. Unfortunately, the hotel simply isn't performing at the level at which it pitches itself. Thankfully, it doesn't have to change very much to do so, provided that its staff become more proactive in seeking feedback, and reacting properly to it when it is received.

By all means stay in this hotel if you have cause to be in Bury St. Edmund's - this is a quirky period hotel with lots of history and a bar with a really nice vibe. Just don't rely on the WiFi or expect a resolution if anything goes wrong.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel if you don't want to be disturbed by the recycling lorr...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Richard

I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay at The Angel Hotel. Your comments have been noted, I will make sure our chef is aware of your feedback on breakfast and I am sorry that you were woken up early.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The Angel hotel is an impressive building. I haven't eaten or stayed their but we had drinks in the bar one evening. The bar itself is fantastic, great atmosphere with quirky furniture and it's great for having a quite drink or you can reserve an area if you have a group.
The cocktail list is pretty poor with only basic ones on their and your looking at £8 + for one. They could do a lot more and make more effort with the presentation especially for the price. Wine and beer list ok.
Service wasn't great, took a long time and then forgot a few things. He didn't know anything about the menus and when we asked for something not on the menu he just said no even though we knew what drinks he needed to make the cocktail. I was expecting a little more knowledge from such a place. We also had champagne and asked for strawberrys to add a little more but he said no so one of the group went upstairs and asked at the bar and they brought some down.
Nice place but needs some work on customer service.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Alison

Thank you for your feedback on our new Wingspan Bar. I take on board your comments about the service and what we have to offer. I hope that we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the future.

uk
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed 1 night, very pleasant stay, all staff were very nice, parking the car, nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast a real treat, freshly cooked, close to the town.
All in all a wowcher voucher scortcher!!
Keep it up little angels!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Angel Hotel. I glad that you have a great stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We love Suffolk and wanted to try somewhere new, so glad we chose here! Very welcoming hotel, we had barely stopped the car outside and there was someone to park it for us. The same guy (we think he was called Rick) delivered us and our luggage to our room very quickly. This guy never stops, juggling cars, luggage, people and sometimes even breakfast - and all with a smile. If there was a porter of the year award he should surely get it! This said we found all the staff to be efficient and pleasant. We stayed in room 15 which was lovely and very comfortable. Delicious breakfast, freshly cooked to order. We also enjoyed dinner on our second night - fabulous food served in a relaxed atmosphere. This hotel is perfectly located for local attractions and shops. We really enjoyed our stay.

Dear Dawn

I was glad to read that your stay at The Angel was enjoyable and your lovely comments have been noted. I hope we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in near future.

East Sussex
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in October - room 001. The hotel is well placed in Bury St Edmunds, everything on its doorstep. The hotel is o.k - the staff very good especially the 2 gentlemen or run the vehicle valet parking service. The room good but could not work the heating very well we could have asked somebody to help but chose to battle it out alone. Pillows on the bed were a bit flat, yet again we could have requested extra so not a viable complaint. Overall a very good stay and would recommend to anybody heading to this part of the world.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Joan

I am happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay at The Angel . I will be passing your comments along to my heads of departments and I hope that we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the future.

Ipswich,UK
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We had 3 Coach House Rooms,the rooms themselves were ok nothing special,the beds were uncomfortable,when this was mentioned the staff didn't really seem bothered,shame really as we would have returned,but have instead chosen somewhere else close by.The parking is fun.The breakfast is nice.The location is good.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skeeter68
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about The Angel Hotel. All your comments have been noted and I will be passing them on to my heads of departments.

london
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Before I write my review I would like to say that the duty manager was just lovely and very professional, the other staff were polite and helpful (the only let down was one young waiter at breakfast who was clearly chewing as he served!) however the hotel, described as 'a sumptuous place to stay' on their own web site, was anything but. I can only comment on the room I had and here goes. Toilet flush loose and had to be pumped several times to get any kind of flush, the shower head was low and had no movement which resulted on me squatting to shower (the sad trickle of water didn't help), exposed screws in the bathroom looked vulgar and cheap and the toilet roll holder, fixed to the wall at an angle so that every time it was used the roll fell on the floor. The dust on the skirting boards in the room was shocking and the ivy which had clearly come through the top of the window some time ago was now dead and dried (and clearly un noticed by the house keeping staff). The wall paper was noticeably peeling away from the walls, in some areas in huge strips, in other areas a half baked attempt in sticking it down had been, unsuccessfully made. I wont mention the dirty marks on the wall or the huge hole in the wall by the door, nor will I go on about the leather book on the desk promising information on the hotel, room service, menu and bar, but when opened for this exciting information was empty. I could talk for several paragraphs on this tired and grubby room, but why bother? Breakfast was disappointing. Toast (actually warm bread, no toasting involved), cold hard black pudding, cold fried tomato and mushrooms, luke warm mushrooms and bacon, however a lovely egg. I would've complained had I caught any member of staffs eye or had anyone came to ask me if everything was ok or if I needed more coffee. Overall, for the amount they are charging, this hotel is shockingly over priced, lacking in any kind of housekeeping or maintenance and poor in customer service (in the restaurant at breakfast). I am surprised that this is 'the hotel' in BSE, it is nothing to write home about.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dee C
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at The Angel Hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, if you would like to discuss this further please contact my PA regarding this at jessica@theangel.co.uk.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!