We've stayed at the Angel in Bury St Edmunds more than 5 times now and up until now its been a faultless, very pleasurable stay. However having just spent a night with friends at the Angel I'm sad to say the service faltered this time in some areas with one exception. On arrival the stars of the hotel are the car park guys and they are courteous, friendly and incredibly welcoming parking your car and taking your bags to your rooms. They never change and are always great.
So the rooms are fine, the food quality is good, the decor very nice .. BUT the following are the niggles which we haven't ever experienced before during any stay here. In one of our rooms we found a pair of mens underwear so the bathroom hadn't been checked thoroughly. We went down to the lovely crypt type bar, asked for drinks and was told the person would come back and take our order. Never did. Nor did the next 2 members of staff. Only by asking a 4th which seemed to be an inconvenience did we get served. So 45 mins it took us to get someone to take our drinks order. Im guessing the hotel was very stretched and there was no manager visible picking up on issues and no process for taking drink orders down stairs. Then the main hotels female toilets had run out of paper towels for hand drying so obviously not regularly checked. Sadly the normally lovely roaring fire wasn't lit, but perhaps it was too mild so I'll let that one go.
On checking out I was met with a surly receptionist who never asked if I enjoyed my stay, never made eye contact and after I very politely mentioned our niggles during our stay, said nothing and proceeded to swipe my credit card with no apologies. Surprisingly unfriendly for a quality hotel in a quaint british village. The right thing to do would have been to raise it then and there with the duty manager or even make a token gesture of some sort. As nothing was forthcoming, we therefore deducted the discretionary 10% service tip (automatically applied I might add) from the meal and paid the car park guys a very good tip instead, as they deserved it.
Hopefully this drop in service is simply a blip as its definitely not expected from a previously good quality hotel. The average rating is given due to previous good experiences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Georgian ivy clad 4 star boutique hotel and restaurant in Suffolk surprises with a twist of urban chic. Our Suffolk hotel is right in the heart of Bury St Edmunds town centre and everything is just a step from here. Explore winding, cobbled, shop filled streets and a plethora of ancient architecture on the doorstep. Once inside, The Angel Hotel is a curious contrast of comfy contemporary design with touches of exotic grandeur. Warm leather sofas vie for your company in the lounge, which is filled with curiosities, pop art, eccentric oddities and cool vintage furniture. It is a hotel of many different aspects all artfully blended together into an exciting package and the bedrooms are no exception. The Angel Eaterie has a great reputation and dining here is a culinary treat. Take the steps down into the decadently curious Wingspan Cocktail Bar & Lounge located in the 12th Century vaults under the Hotel. Wingspan is the perfect location to meet with friends, for pre-dinner drinks, or simply to relax after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Angel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds
- Angel Bury St Edmunds
- The Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk