It's been 15 years since I had been back to the Angel and I wish I hadn't. A once elegant hotel with genuine charm has been turned into a faux-modern wannabe. The decor tried to be trendy but misses the mark terribly. The 'new' dining room is a loud wooden floored box with questionable art work that follows no theme, just a wetherspoons mishmash.
The menu looks ok, some interesting choices and specials available. Prices looked reasonable. That's where it ends as the kitchens execution of the dishes was frankly amateur. There was a 35 minute wait for the starter to arrive. The portions were tiny and my pigeon breast was overlooked, dry and rubbery. Inedible. I sent it back and after 10 minutes it was replaced with a better cooked one but it was still tasteless and tough. Other dishes on the table were edible but hardly exciting.
The wait for the main courses was another 30 minutes. On asking the waitress a litany on excuses were wheeled out but not with much conviction. The reality is the kitchen are ill prepared for a busy operation. The service, although friendly, was amateur and no sign of any management. Better trained staff would have noted the delays and provided extra bead and apologies.
In all this was very disappointing. The former elegant fine dining restaurant has been replaced by a trendy bistro that fails to deliver.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Georgian ivy clad 4 star boutique hotel and restaurant in Suffolk surprises with a twist of urban chic. Our Suffolk hotel is right in the heart of Bury St Edmunds town centre and everything is just a step from here. Explore winding, cobbled, shop filled streets and a plethora of ancient architecture on the doorstep. Once inside, The Angel Hotel is a curious contrast of comfy contemporary design with touches of exotic grandeur. Warm leather sofas vie for your company in the lounge, which is filled with curiosities, pop art, eccentric oddities and cool vintage furniture. It is a hotel of many different aspects all artfully blended together into an exciting package and the bedrooms are no exception. The Angel Eaterie has a great reputation and dining here is a culinary treat. Take the steps down into the decadently curious Wingspan Cocktail Bar & Lounge located in the 12th Century vaults under the Hotel. Wingspan is the perfect location to meet with friends, for pre-dinner drinks, or simply to relax after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Angel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds
- Angel Bury St Edmunds
- The Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk