“Great Evening” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Sydney, Australia
“Great Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Had a fantastic meal last weekend on a mini school reunion, the duck was excellent, staff were very nice, view of the abbey gate awesome - wine choices great, although a bit pricey ... taking my parents before I leave for oz.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Guest

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed over Christmas but have been staying on and off for 10 years. The Angel is a traditional English market town inn, but larger and run far better than any other I have been in. Because of my wife's disability, we choose a courtyard room -- most able bodied visitors would probably prefer one of the older and more traditional rooms. Room is a good size with a very comfortable bed and clean bathroom. The food in the hotel restaurant is well above average. But it is the staff that really make The Angel a great place to stay. They really do go out of their way to be helpful. Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Madison

Thank you for your feedback on The Angel Hotel and taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Christmas and I hope to be welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel again.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had always wanted to stay at The Angel in Bury St Edmunds and am so glad to say that I now officially have! What amazing service, waiting staff, restaurant service, quality of food.... Everything was outstanding from arrival when our car was parked for us and bags carried to our amazing room, right through to departing when our car was again driven to the front door for us and bags placed into the boot. Outstanding and a real fairytale of a visit. Thank you to the lovely lady on reception who, as with the rest of her team, helped create fantastic memories for my partner and I :) Will be back, without any question whatsoever. Oh, and breakfast in bed was a dream too (and no extra charge!).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on your stay at The Angel Hotel. It was lovely to read that you had a wonderful time with us and we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I booked a two night break which we were really looking forward to. I am sorry to say we were dissapointed with some aspects of our stay. Our room was in the coach yard which was fairly quiet, but the lighting was dreadfull, It was very difficult to read, put makeup on and anything which required any additional light as the room was not blessed with much natural light. We had no draws in out room to put clothes in so underwear etc stayed in case. The room needed some T.L.C. as did most of the communial areas which were also very poorly lit.
The staff were extremely helpful and polite which did this hotel credit.
The food was very good especially afternoon tea.
Would I go back again ??? I dont think so as I my expectations were not met.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on The Angel Hotel, I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this occasion and your comments will be passed along to my heads of departments.

Kind Regards
wickford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Each year myself,my husband and son come down to the xmas market. We had always admired the look and location of the Angel hotel. So we decided for this years visit to stay for the Saturday evening , so we could take advantage of the mulled cider and not have to drive home .
We had one of the suites facing the front of the hotel, overlooking the Abbey and market. A few little scuffs to the decor but nothing major . Also a nice touch was the box of mini complimentary doughnuts which my son sampled with relish . A lovely size room with clean and spacious bathroom.

On arriving at the hotel if driving , you are greeted by the double act car valet chaps , who should seriously be made into tv characters . However they are very good in their present employment . They appear by magic and whisk your car away , if you ask nicely they do return it when required.

There was power cut when we stayed , the staff lit lots of candles in the bar , which only added to the cozy atmosphere. Staff very polite and helpful . We didn't dine at the hotel as we wanted to make the most of the market after dark , to absorb the lights and the live band before we went for our evening meal , we went back to our favourite Indian restaurant , which is just a short walk away.

Needless to say we are already booked in to the same room for this years family xmas vacation to Bury xmas market

Room Tip: To enjoy the market it's essential to stay at the front of the hotel, noisy but doesn't go o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eve r
Dear Eve

It was lovely to read your review about your stay at The Angel Hotel for the Christmas market. I am glad that you with us was enjoyable and I hope that we can welcome you back to The Angel hotel for next year's Christmas market.

Fareham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was booked for a two-night stay to attend a nearby wedding. The wedding hosts had previously checked the hotel and shown a room, and recommended it. With a relatively large hotel such as this one, of course anyone asking to see a room will be shown one of the better ones. With the description of the room viewed by the wedding hosts and our room, you would think it was a different hotel.

We booked an "Originals" room, and expected it to be in the main building. At the time of booking, there was also the option of a Coach House room, but we always prefer to stay in the main building of a hotel. There was very good service at reception, our car was valet parked, and we were shown to our room. It was across a courtyard and in another building. Not what we expected. When I queried this, I was told it was an Originals room.

The room was smaller than the budget Premiere Inn chain standard rooms (for example), but there were some similarities, particularly the lighting. There was a full-length mirror on the wall of the bedroom, but no light overhead or in front of it. Useless. The bathroom had three GU10 ceiling lights, none of which gave adequate lighting for use the mirror for makeup / shaving. All other hotels I have stayed in have either had a light by the mirror, or a separate makeup / shaver mirror with a built-in light.

The bathroom itself was of a high standard and with good quality toiletries.

The bedroom had a wardrobe in an alcove, next to the door to the bathroom. There was no light nearby, so it was dark. The wardrobe itself was tiny, around 4ft tall and 3ft wide. You could not hang up a full-length ladies dress in it. Also, there was very limited hanging space as half of the width was shelves.

The bed was comfortable and there was about 2ft of space on one side of the bed and about 4ft on the other. There was probably about 3ft of space at the bottom of the bed. A flat screen TV was fixed to the wall.

There was a small table with tea / coffee making facilities and a pack of biscuits. There was a pendant light at a dangerously low pendant light above this table, which I hit my head on several times.

No clock / alarm clock of any type was provided in the room. There was one standard chair next to the table, and an armchair in an alcove by the door.

The room was noisy as it was next to the main entrance to this separate building and the door closer on the main door did not stop the door banging every time it closed and you could hear everyone's conversations as if the door to the room was open.

The door closer in the actual room had two tracks of oil running down from it. Fortunately, I spotted this before hanging any clothes on the back of the door on the door hook. (out of necessity as the wardrobe was too small).

The only food we had was breakfast. There was a limited choice, and we had the Suffolk breakfast. The portion sizes were small, but the quality and taste was good. The breakfast was included in the rate, but was fixed price otherwise. It was not worth the fixed price of £15 if bought separately.

There was a public car park at the front of the hotel, with a two-hour parking limit and a £3.30 fee, I think. This is why the valet parking is needed.

In other parts of the country, outside London, I would have expected to have paid no more than £70 for a room of this type, and not £126 per night.

The staff were very pleasant and efficient, and I could not fault them. But, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay. I have read through and have taken all your comments on board. I do hope that reception team offered you an alternative room in the main building? If not my sincere apologies.

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our third stay and the room choice just keeps getting better, our allocated room was called an impressions room (20), spacious and a perfect position on the ground floor.

The Wingspan (bar with a difference) is a great addition for the hotel, housed in the basement with beautiful architecture dating back to the 12th century. The design of individual alcoves for privacy while enjoying a bottle of wine is a great experience, tastefully housing a mixture of modern furniture and very comfortable seating, we would recommend everyone to enjoy a drink or two here. We want to come back just to soak up the history alone.

The staff at this hotel are well costumed to meeting your needs; staff at all levels were extremely friendly and we were appreciative to their genuine care they all had, plus the two most helpful porters we have ever met.

Bury St Edmunds is a quite market town however it has lots to offer; good choice of pubs,restaurants and bars. Our favourite place is walking through Abbey gardens, directly opposite our room from the Angel Hotel and the Arc shopping centre with some of the better choice of shops.

Room Tip: Request an impressions room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

It was lovely to read your review about your stay at The Angel Hotel. I am glad that you with us was enjoyable and I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!