“Stay at the Angel Dec 13”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Angel the room was over £200 per night including Breakfast. I had to ask for a portable heater as the sash windows were letting the air and the room was very cold. The windows were banging as they were loose in the frames and had to be filled with tissue paper. The room was not like the rooms shown on the website very small and not special. The screws were left one loose and one protruding on the light switch to bathroom so my partner cut his finger badly. The alarm was left on TV and came on before 6am from previous occupier. Could not get served for drink in evening as to busy? Explained all issues at check out and no one was bothered so wrote and explained the disappointment and no response from the Angel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank caroline G
LynnCowan, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Caroline

I am sorry to read of your disappointing stay at The Angel Hotel. I have spoken to my management team, to make sure our customer service is maintained at the highest level. I apologises if you have not have a response in regards to writing into The Angel, we make a clear objective to acknowledge all our customers.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent a few hours in this lovely hotel - staff very attentive, breakfast very good with quick service.
We were at a function at the Farmers Club - location was perfect. Also perfect location for shopping and sight seeing

Dear Judy

Thank you for your review about your stay at The Angel Hotel. I am glad that you with us was enjoyable and I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Had a fantastic meal last weekend on a mini school reunion, the duck was excellent, staff were very nice, view of the abbey gate awesome - wine choices great, although a bit pricey ... taking my parents before I leave for oz.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed over Christmas but have been staying on and off for 10 years. The Angel is a traditional English market town inn, but larger and run far better than any other I have been in. Because of my wife's disability, we choose a courtyard room -- most able bodied visitors would probably prefer one of the older and more traditional rooms. Room is a good size with a very comfortable bed and clean bathroom. The food in the hotel restaurant is well above average. But it is the staff that really make The Angel a great place to stay. They really do go out of their way to be helpful. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Madison

Thank you for your feedback on The Angel Hotel and taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Christmas and I hope to be welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel again.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had always wanted to stay at The Angel in Bury St Edmunds and am so glad to say that I now officially have! What amazing service, waiting staff, restaurant service, quality of food.... Everything was outstanding from arrival when our car was parked for us and bags carried to our amazing room, right through to departing when our car was again driven to the front door for us and bags placed into the boot. Outstanding and a real fairytale of a visit. Thank you to the lovely lady on reception who, as with the rest of her team, helped create fantastic memories for my partner and I :) Will be back, without any question whatsoever. Oh, and breakfast in bed was a dream too (and no extra charge!).

Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on your stay at The Angel Hotel. It was lovely to read that you had a wonderful time with us and we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I booked a two night break which we were really looking forward to. I am sorry to say we were dissapointed with some aspects of our stay. Our room was in the coach yard which was fairly quiet, but the lighting was dreadfull, It was very difficult to read, put makeup on and anything which required any additional light as the room was not blessed with much natural light. We had no draws in out room to put clothes in so underwear etc stayed in case. The room needed some T.L.C. as did most of the communial areas which were also very poorly lit.
The staff were extremely helpful and polite which did this hotel credit.
The food was very good especially afternoon tea.
Would I go back again ??? I dont think so as I my expectations were not met.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on The Angel Hotel, I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this occasion and your comments will be passed along to my heads of departments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Each year myself,my husband and son come down to the xmas market. We had always admired the look and location of the Angel hotel. So we decided for this years visit to stay for the Saturday evening , so we could take advantage of the mulled cider and not have to drive home .
We had one of the suites facing the front of the hotel, overlooking the Abbey and market. A few little scuffs to the decor but nothing major . Also a nice touch was the box of mini complimentary doughnuts which my son sampled with relish . A lovely size room with clean and spacious bathroom.

On arriving at the hotel if driving , you are greeted by the double act car valet chaps , who should seriously be made into tv characters . However they are very good in their present employment . They appear by magic and whisk your car away , if you ask nicely they do return it when required.

There was power cut when we stayed , the staff lit lots of candles in the bar , which only added to the cozy atmosphere. Staff very polite and helpful . We didn't dine at the hotel as we wanted to make the most of the market after dark , to absorb the lights and the live band before we went for our evening meal , we went back to our favourite Indian restaurant , which is just a short walk away.

Needless to say we are already booked in to the same room for this years family xmas vacation to Bury xmas market

Room Tip: To enjoy the market it's essential to stay at the front of the hotel, noisy but doesn't go o...