How nice to be met by the porter, your luggage taken care of and likewise our car. We have only experienced this previously at a 4 star hotel in Bath. The service level stayed up there with the best, in fact the entire staff at all times seemed pleased to see us and could not have been more helpful. We stayed in the Graham Greene suit, which décor wise, was a little tired but the view and lack of noise, despite being at the front of the hotel more than made up for it. The only downside was the restaurant décor which did not seem sympathetic to the character of the building. The eating experience was also a little disappointing with rather obvious portion control. Although we are not big eaters the starters were on the mean side regarding quantity. On our first night my wife chose halibut (her favourite fish) and a very tired cut arrived which was curling at the edges and it came as no surprise that this option was crossed off the specials board. The following night we both chose duck breast which came with beetroot and potatoes. The beetroot comprised of two pieces the size of tangerine segments and we felt that at £21.95 they could have given more vegetables. This theme was continued through to breakfast, the Suffolk comprised half of a slice of black pudding, one small sausage and first for me, only one egg although not being a big eater that was fine. The butter supplied was totally inadequate for the toast and we had to request more. However, these were minor irritations and we would not hesitate to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Georgian ivy clad 4 star boutique hotel and restaurant in Suffolk surprises with a twist of urban chic. Our Suffolk hotel is right in the heart of Bury St Edmunds town centre and everything is just a step from here. Explore winding, cobbled, shop filled streets and a plethora of ancient architecture on the doorstep. Once inside, The Angel Hotel is a curious contrast of comfy contemporary design with touches of exotic grandeur. Warm leather sofas vie for your company in the lounge, which is filled with curiosities, pop art, eccentric oddities and cool vintage furniture. It is a hotel of many different aspects all artfully blended together into an exciting package and the bedrooms are no exception. The Angel Eaterie has a great reputation and dining here is a culinary treat. Take the steps down into the decadently curious Wingspan Cocktail Bar & Lounge located in the 12th Century vaults under the Hotel. Wingspan is the perfect location to meet with friends, for pre-dinner drinks, or simply to relax after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Angel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds
- Angel Bury St Edmunds
- The Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk