“Nice Hotel close to the Abbey.”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in May after we attended a Wedding. On checking in we were greeted by a member of staff who parked our car for us. Check in was easy and painfree, the staff were lovely. Our room was on the ground floor at the back. It was a nice room with all the usual facilities. The bed was very comfy and we had loads of room !
The only down point was that vans and cars parked on the pavement outside our bedroom window so we were disturbed by them, not the Hotels fault, more a design issue from days gone by!!!
The decoration in the hotel is quirky ! Plenty to look at!
Breakfast the next morning was lovely I had eggs Benedict which was very tasty.
We had a very nice stay and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms at the back have vehicles parked right up to the bedroom windows!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for one night for our Ruby Anniversary as treat from our daughters. We had a large room facing the Abbey Gardens with a four poster bed which was grand and quite special but the decor was a little shabby in places. There was no air conditioning in the room and if you wanted the windows open the traffic noise on the cobbled street below made sleeping difficult.We had afternoon tea in the Lounge, there was plenty of sandwiches and cakes and the staff boxed what was left for the family.Breakfast was of good quality although the portions of the full English on the small side. We enjoyed a good lunch in the restaurant,the atmosphere and service very good.Overall the stay at the hotel was enjoyable,the staff good but that extra little effort for our special occasion seemed to be missing.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room request a room at the back of the hotel
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We are former residents of Bury who came back for a visit. I had stayed at the Angel on two occassions (once when we first arrived in Bury and for about a week just prior to us leaving the UK). MNy wife though had enjoyed meals and drinks (and tea) at the Angel, had never stayed there.

So the staff is top drawer. Anyone complaining of a language barrier is, in my view, wrong. There are a lot of Eastern European staff that work at the hotel but they are to a person....excellent in their service and their communication. They all treat you as an individual, they get to know you quickly...they call you by name......This part of the trip was excellent.

We originally were given a room which was in very sub-standad condition......Not sure why except concluded that we had booked under a corporate rate and perhaps they felt public rates deserve the best rooms....Regardless, i expressed my desire to change rooms and they accomodated right away to a room that was perfectly situated and met ALL of our expectations.

Service in the lobby area for drinks was great (though at times you do have to go look for soemone, that is part of the charm of a boutique hotel).....

Breakfast was great (we had it delivered tot he room one morning and that was flawless as well). They got every special request done perfectly (cheese for the scambled eggs...no blood pudding........instead of a Bacon Bap we asked for a sausage Bap) and were happy to accomodate....again, without hesitation and executed wonderfully.

Thanks to the staff of the Angel for making our return to Bury a great visit and making us feel like valued guests. We will not saty anywhere else when we return to Bury again.

Room Tip: Look at the oictures posted here and do not accept a less than acceptable room (there are still some...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I love coming here to stay here but I just came for afternoon tea there was a great variety of cakes and sandwiches and plenty of tea would highly recommend it :) the staff remember you as well which gives it that personal touch :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jess1102
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel had a historic reputation for service and food that has sadly slipped if our last visit is anything to go by. The 'meet and greet' guys who appear from nowhere when your car enters under the famed arched entry are great!. They do what they say they will do - with aplomb and on time, every time. We were a party of 5 people in a show at the Theatre Royal, Bury St. Edmunds and arrived at around the same time to be greeted by a non-plus reception team who seemed unaware of our booking and the arrangements that had been made for us - a 'threat to leave' brought a positive reaction and the 'meet and greet' guys appeared and took us to our rooms in exemplary manner. Late night drinks after the show back at the hotel took an age to appear... an ominous warning! Breakfast was a farce. A language problem with the waitress did not help and only one of us actually got the breakfast we asked for. An example was that the substitute for fried bread that I received was two pieces of plain white bread! So sad as I remember having a 3-day break, late Summer, at this hotel and loving the entire stay especially the evening meals that were very special.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank livingcoward
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is 'quirky' with a mix of antiques and modern. Our room was fine but it was not possible to have our requested choice of 'downstairs or near a lift' So quite a few small steps to manage. The breakfast was really good. The restaurant expensive. Especially comparing it to 'Maison Bleu' round the corner. The bar downstairs is very interesting. Apparently built in the tunnels used by the monks escaping from Henry viii. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was nice to have a car parking service. The location is perfect being opposite the Abbey Gardens.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times and all of the other visits were very good hence going back, so I requested a quite room which it turns out I didn't get lots of traffic noises in the night / very early morning.

The issue with this hotel was simply the receptionist Reena I think her name is she is rude, aggressive and argumentative. When I checked in I thought she was a bit off with me, I ordered some room service with the same lady and she told me they don't do pizzas when there was a pizza menu in my room after establishing they do pizzas I ordered one but I had to repeat my order four times! overall there was an attitude this was then made worse when I asked for some tooth paste when I walked to the main reception you guessed it same person told me I had to pay for it which was annoying especially as I had paid them £130 for a room I really don't think they need to charge for tooth paste.

checking out was painful as the same person was on reception and she argued with me about this really wound me up the management need to change this staff member as I do usually like this place the food is always excellent but front of house is poor.
I might stay here again but this experience has put me off big time.
oh yes and there were someone elses whiskers in the sink as they haven't cleaned in properly!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gareth J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
#2 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#6 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!