We visited The Angel for a dinner reservation. The overall evening was lovely and very pleasant, however we feel that the restaurant is over priced for what we ultimately felt was posh pub food. The starters were of a high standard and presented well, however we were let down by our mains. We both had steak for our mains and we felt that the portion size was overwhelming. Our plates were full and over crowded, unlike our delicate starters. I asked for my steak to be cooked medium-rare, which unfortunately was over done, although still acceptable. The steaks in total were £50, so you would only assume that they would be cooked to perfection.
The service was very good, however we had more than one waitress looking after us, so were asked on many different occasions by different waitresses if everything was ok. We feel that although attentive, there was an element of being rushed through our meal.
One major let down is that they automatically add a 10% service charge to your bill. We asked this to be removed as in our personal opinion leaving gratuity is discretional and should reflect your experience rather than be demanded by the establishment.
Considering all, we had a lovely evening, especially downstairs in the Wingspan bar, which was as ever very pleasant with a relaxed atmosphere. Overall, we wouldn't rush back to The Angel for dinner, as Bury St Edmunds has many other respectable restaurants of equal or better standards at a more reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Georgian ivy clad 4 star boutique hotel and restaurant in Suffolk surprises with a twist of urban chic. Our Suffolk hotel is right in the heart of Bury St Edmunds town centre and everything is just a step from here. Explore winding, cobbled, shop filled streets and a plethora of ancient architecture on the doorstep. Once inside, The Angel Hotel is a curious contrast of comfy contemporary design with touches of exotic grandeur. Warm leather sofas vie for your company in the lounge, which is filled with curiosities, pop art, eccentric oddities and cool vintage furniture. It is a hotel of many different aspects all artfully blended together into an exciting package and the bedrooms are no exception. The Angel Eaterie has a great reputation and dining here is a culinary treat. Take the steps down into the decadently curious Wingspan Cocktail Bar & Lounge located in the 12th Century vaults under the Hotel. Wingspan is the perfect location to meet with friends, for pre-dinner drinks, or simply to relax after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your The Angel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds
- Angel Bury St Edmunds
- The Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk