“Birthday celebrations”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went for an evening meal with my family and parents. I grew up locally and The Angel was always thought of as one the poshest places to eat. Sadly this is not the case any more. Little things were missing throughout the evening leaving us all feeling a bit disappointed. The drinks we preordered took ages to come (we had to ask for them), ice cream ordered came, no wafer or decoration. Coffee came no chocolates, fudge anything. All little things you would expect from a 4 star establishment. The food was lovely but the little extras were missing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Penny,

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing dinner experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

We are not a fine dining restaurant and hold a 2 AA rosette's for our food, we work hard on our customer service as there is a lot of competition in the local area. I apologise we didn't live you to your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager with regards to this.

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week whilst on a business coarse first impressions where great very picturesque loved the ivy all on the outside i went straight to my room on the ground floor and there was a problem with the tv i called reception and they sent some1 straight away and it still wouldnt work i was told they would ring me to arrange a room change which didnt happen i made a complaint on there facebook page and was upgraded to a suite which was beautiful

Stayed: August 2014

Dear David,

Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

I must apologise for the TV, I have spoken to my team and they have informed me it was actually on radio mode and just needed the mode to be changed back to TV. I apologise this was not communicated at the time. On the positive side I am glad you had a great night in our Contemporary suite.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This review is for a meal only!
We were given a voucher for the Angel so thought we would have an evening out at the Angel.
We booked a table online which was painless and opted for the lunch menu of which you could eat up to 6pm. This seem really good value compared to the main menu. (£17.95 for 3 courses).
We arrived early and was shown to our table, decor was good, but was let down by one seat being of sofa type and was a bit low/uncomfortable for eating at a table. I sat on this and am over 6 foot so must be even worse for shorter folk. Our choices arrived in good time and were very acceptable, just right size portions and presentation. Didn't have the 'wow' factor though, but was still good. Staff who see to us, were very friendly and welcoming. One thing though was that were lots of staff going back and forwards past us to the bar and back with drinks, which was distracting and the 'earpieces', what's that all about?
After the meal we went down to the bar in the cellar, which was very good. Bit hard to read the drinks menu in the bad light though. We had 2 very well presented cocktails which ended the evening.
Would we go back again? hhmmm, probably not, as so many other places in the town to try.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing lunch experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received and the issues you had with your food, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager and Head Chef with regards to this.

The ear pieces are for my management team to stay in contact with our Reception, Porters and our Wingspan bar staff members to ensure a smooth service for our customers.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for one night (Sat) as part of a weekend mini break. As we drove up to the hotel set in a beautiful and historic square right opposite to the grounds of the cathedral, we were struck by the impressive facade of the hotel. (When we stayed the front was decked out with flower baskets) so arrival was an entirely impressive experience.
Although parking spaces at first inspection appeared in short supply, after a quick and incredibly helpful vist to reception, we were directed to a supervised and efficient residents car park at the rear where an attendant very professionally took control of our car, ensuring a space and even taking our bags to our room. We then wandered off into town (very close by) to get a coffee as we were a little early to book in, totally stress free and relaxed.
What made this even more impressive was that the hotel was very full with weddings taking place.
Later we returned to the hotel to book in and were dealt with courteously and in very welcoming manner at reception. We were then directed and accompanied to our room by a member of staff, who took some shopping we had bought in town for us. Top marks for this Angel Hotel, so many hotels give you rambling instructions on how to get to your room via that flight of stairs, turn left through the door, then down a corridor etc etc and you end up totally lost.
The room was comfortable and welcoming with everything one would need, and we were so impressed to find on returning to the hotel after dining out, that our room had been again freshened up and the bed turned down. We were very impressed by this attention to detail.
We didn't dine at the hotel as we personally found it a little fussy for our taste, but that wasn't a problem as there are plenty of dining options locally.
Wherever we went in the hotel we were met with smiles and courtesy and the staff are clearly very well trained.
After a comfortable and quiet night's sleep we breakfasted in a beautiful sun drenched dining room as it was a lovely morning. The breakfast was of a good standard and served at the table. We then checked out and very sadly went on our way, wishing we had another few nights at the hotel . Yes it really was that good and met every expectation we had. I would highly recommend this hotel and we fully intend to return. Not the cheapest but certainly well worth it, well done Angel Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Spent another relaxing evening at The Angel . Great, central location. Elegant rooms - well designed for relaxation. The service is exceptional and breakfasts delicious . Very convenient for the town and the abbey . A find!

Room Tip: Speak to Cara :-).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 July 2014

It appears from the reviews that this hotel and restaurant really depends on your room and timing....I booked due to limited availability in the area for a business meeting in a Bury St Edmunds....the room is full of character (and I live in a 250 year old stone farmhouse), spacious and clean...the towels are good quality and the bed is comfortable. The bar / restaurant has limited beer selection and menu, but both are are great quality. My food arrival was perfectly timed, the salmon well cooked and I don't think I have ever had such hot chips.
The staff are VERY polite and extremely professional.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at The Angel for two nights to attend my daughter's wedding. The location for that was ideal as the Registry Office is about 50 yards to the right.
The hardest part of the whole weekend was actually getting to the location, Bury St Edmunds is so difficult to drive round and we made three false turns before getting to the hotel. Perhaps I should have used the satnav rather than knowing best.
This hotel is opposite the gate to the Abbey Gardens with the Cathedral to the right as one looks from the top of the stairs. There is parking outside but this will cost the owner during the daytime. The hotel has it's own parking area operated by valet parking to optimise space. Certainly during our stay the car was moved several times without damage. Coming out of the front door turn left and immediately left again and the reader will be able to wander into the town. Turn right and carry on one will pass the brewery before reaching the Theatre Royal.
Check in was easy and we received a cheery greeting and our allocated room was ready for us. Neither of us suffers from a disability but if we did I think it would be difficult. The hotel seems to have at least one step to get in from any of the three entry points I found.
Our room was modern with a huge bed, flat screen television, and a very nice bathroom. The only criticism I had with the bathroom was that the plug did not work in the sink, therefore water was running away whilst I shaved, so not overly green.
We did not have dinner at the hotel but can confirm that the breakfast has starters and a cooked section. The orange juice was fresh and the Suffolk breakfast well cooked and substantial.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank b11lrs
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Sir,

I hope you and your Daughter had a day to remember.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#4 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!