“Good late lunch”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went for a late lunch on Thursday afternoon to celebrate my husband's birthday. The lunch menu is served all afternoon which was really handy for us. The three course set menu was very reasonably priced. I had bruschetta to start which was good apart from the green beans which were too chewy. I don't eat meat so I had white bean salad for main which was a huge portion and beautifully flavoured. For dessert I had a creme brulee served with shortbread. I enjoyed this though the consistency could have been thicker. There was a good range of wines to choose from.
The service was quick and efficient. The dining room decor is quirky and fun and we had a good table by the window. I enjoyed the meal very much though I think the chef could move up a gear to be truly excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stuart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before, This time I had a good room, overlooking the square at the front. However, the same thing happened in the morning, I paid, went for breakfast, and when I went back to my room, it had been cleaned and my toothbrush thrown away. Check out is 11 am. I had put the do not disturb notice outside the door, before breakfast. The manager's excuse was that my case had gone, what were they doing in the room? It wasn't even 10am. Most people wish to go back to a room after breakfast and that is part of what we pay for. Why haven't they learnt from last time, but maybe it is me that has to learn! Not good enough.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank moscovy
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Our Housekeeping team are in direct contact with my Reception team, reception informs housekeeping when guests check out, to allow the rooms to be checked for left items and to clean the room. On this occasion when you paid your bill, and requested your car keys and also informed my Housekeeping manager you had checked out we naturally assumed you had indeed checked out.

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had a lovely break at the Angel this past weekend.
The staff were very efficient and made us feel most comfortable.
We were also very impressed with their car parking arrangements.
We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Air conditioning is useful in the summer months
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very spacious and comfortable room and well located right in the centre of Bury St Edmunds. Doubt though that it's worth the money, £394 for a two night stay for my wife and I. The restaurant has a limited menu and the service was not brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Our dinner menu offers 8 options each course and at least 3 specials to offer fresh local produce, apologies if you do not think this is a large enough selection.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went for an evening meal with my family and parents. I grew up locally and The Angel was always thought of as one the poshest places to eat. Sadly this is not the case any more. Little things were missing throughout the evening leaving us all feeling a bit disappointed. The drinks we preordered took ages to come (we had to ask for them), ice cream ordered came, no wafer or decoration. Coffee came no chocolates, fudge anything. All little things you would expect from a 4 star establishment. The food was lovely but the little extras were missing.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Penny,

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing dinner experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

We are not a fine dining restaurant and hold a 2 AA rosette's for our food, we work hard on our customer service as there is a lot of competition in the local area. I apologise we didn't live you to your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager with regards to this.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week whilst on a business coarse first impressions where great very picturesque loved the ivy all on the outside i went straight to my room on the ground floor and there was a problem with the tv i called reception and they sent some1 straight away and it still wouldnt work i was told they would ring me to arrange a room change which didnt happen i made a complaint on there facebook page and was upgraded to a suite which was beautiful

Stayed: August 2014

Dear David,

I must apologise for the TV, I have spoken to my team and they have informed me it was actually on radio mode and just needed the mode to be changed back to TV. I apologise this was not communicated at the time. On the positive side I am glad you had a great night in our Contemporary suite.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This review is for a meal only!
We were given a voucher for the Angel so thought we would have an evening out at the Angel.
We booked a table online which was painless and opted for the lunch menu of which you could eat up to 6pm. This seem really good value compared to the main menu. (£17.95 for 3 courses).
We arrived early and was shown to our table, decor was good, but was let down by one seat being of sofa type and was a bit low/uncomfortable for eating at a table. I sat on this and am over 6 foot so must be even worse for shorter folk. Our choices arrived in good time and were very acceptable, just right size portions and presentation. Didn't have the 'wow' factor though, but was still good. Staff who see to us, were very friendly and welcoming. One thing though was that were lots of staff going back and forwards past us to the bar and back with drinks, which was distracting and the 'earpieces', what's that all about?
After the meal we went down to the bar in the cellar, which was very good. Bit hard to read the drinks menu in the bad light though. We had 2 very well presented cocktails which ended the evening.
Would we go back again? hhmmm, probably not, as so many other places in the town to try.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing lunch experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received and the issues you had with your food, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager and Head Chef with regards to this.

The ear pieces are for my management team to stay in contact with our Reception, Porters and our Wingspan bar staff members to ensure a smooth service for our customers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
#2 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#6 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!