“Enjoyable stay”

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently enjoyed an excellent evening stay in The Angel. We had a lovely modern Originals room, it was a quiet room, nicely appointed and furnished. We had a comfortable nights sleep and it was a plenty spacious enough room, considering its an old building. We initially had problems with a previous stay at the hotel, but the staff were excellent in rectifying things second time around and we were very well cared for. I would suggest in our experience pay for a better room, if the appointments of the room are important to you. It is not the cheapest hotel but Bury St Edmunds is a unique town and this is bar far the best located within the town and really the only hotel of this quality (live locally, so know the options!). The bar in the vaults is totally unique and always worth a visit and the food and customer service is always good.

Room Tip: Originals upwards. Had a coach house room previously and the difference was noticeable.
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went for a late lunch on Thursday afternoon to celebrate my husband's birthday. The lunch menu is served all afternoon which was really handy for us. The three course set menu was very reasonably priced. I had bruschetta to start which was good apart from the green beans which were too chewy. I don't eat meat so I had white bean salad for main which was a huge portion and beautifully flavoured. For dessert I had a creme brulee served with shortbread. I enjoyed this though the consistency could have been thicker. There was a good range of wines to choose from.
The service was quick and efficient. The dining room decor is quirky and fun and we had a good table by the window. I enjoyed the meal very much though I think the chef could move up a gear to be truly excellent.

Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014

hampshire
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before, This time I had a good room, overlooking the square at the front. However, the same thing happened in the morning, I paid, went for breakfast, and when I went back to my room, it had been cleaned and my toothbrush thrown away. Check out is 11 am. I had put the do not disturb notice outside the door, before breakfast. The manager's excuse was that my case had gone, what were they doing in the room? It wasn't even 10am. Most people wish to go back to a room after breakfast and that is part of what we pay for. Why haven't they learnt from last time, but maybe it is me that has to learn! Not good enough.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank moscovy
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Our Housekeeping team are in direct contact with my Reception team, reception informs housekeeping when guests check out, to allow the rooms to be checked for left items and to clean the room. On this occasion when you paid your bill, and requested your car keys and also informed my Housekeeping manager you had checked out we naturally assumed you had indeed checked out.

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had a lovely break at the Angel this past weekend.
The staff were very efficient and made us feel most comfortable.
We were also very impressed with their car parking arrangements.
We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Air conditioning is useful in the summer months
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014

Hampshire
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very spacious and comfortable room and well located right in the centre of Bury St Edmunds. Doubt though that it's worth the money, £394 for a two night stay for my wife and I. The restaurant has a limited menu and the service was not brilliant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014

Our dinner menu offers 8 options each course and at least 3 specials to offer fresh local produce, apologies if you do not think this is a large enough selection.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Went for an evening meal with my family and parents. I grew up locally and The Angel was always thought of as one the poshest places to eat. Sadly this is not the case any more. Little things were missing throughout the evening leaving us all feeling a bit disappointed. The drinks we preordered took ages to come (we had to ask for them), ice cream ordered came, no wafer or decoration. Coffee came no chocolates, fudge anything. All little things you would expect from a 4 star establishment. The food was lovely but the little extras were missing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Penny,

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing dinner experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

We are not a fine dining restaurant and hold a 2 AA rosette's for our food, we work hard on our customer service as there is a lot of competition in the local area. I apologise we didn't live you to your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager with regards to this.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week whilst on a business coarse first impressions where great very picturesque loved the ivy all on the outside i went straight to my room on the ground floor and there was a problem with the tv i called reception and they sent some1 straight away and it still wouldnt work i was told they would ring me to arrange a room change which didnt happen i made a complaint on there facebook page and was upgraded to a suite which was beautiful

Stayed August 2014
Dear David,

I must apologise for the TV, I have spoken to my team and they have informed me it was actually on radio mode and just needed the mode to be changed back to TV. I apologise this was not communicated at the time. On the positive side I am glad you had a great night in our Contemporary suite.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!