The Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is a delightful historic building, within a few minutes from the town's cathedral and main shopping area. The views of the cathedral and the cathedral gates from the front of the hotel are amazing and the staff are highly trained and incredibly professional. Despite being in a period building, the rooms and their furnishings are modern, clean and well-equipped with all that a traveller needs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stuart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Character hotel in a great position in town virtually opposite Cathedral. Strange mix between old and new styles but bedroom at front large and full of character. Room prices high but better value when using one of the deals eg Sunday Night.
We were unlucky at breakfast as both sent back as obviously reheated - hard fried egg and cardboard bacon Assume chef was away as dinner the previous night was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms at front larger I guess and great view. Some noisy building work/pump? woke us very early.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

My apologies for the poor breakfast, all our breakfasts are cooked to order. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

A Spur of the moment thing to have lunch at the Angel. We both agreed it was a most enjoyable experience. The service was excellent, the staff all very friendly, well dressed and efficient. The quality of food was very tasty and nicely presented. The tables in the restaurant were spaced out well, we didn't feel cramped or over looked.
All in all a lovely experience.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed one night in the Angel and it was a very pleasant experience, perfectly located in the centre of Bury St Edmunds we parked in the hotel car park and were assisted the by very (very!) helpful pleasant Rick.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and our room the Graham Greene Suite was really nice. Amazingly for a UK hotel the A/C worked really well so a humid night outside was completely and quickly forgotten Other UK hotels please note you CAN have working A/C in the UK it is not impossible!! Breakfast was delicious and quickly served we were sorry to leave after just 1 night

Room Tip: If you can choose a suite
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sfhmgusa

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently enjoyed an excellent evening stay in The Angel. We had a lovely modern Originals room, it was a quiet room, nicely appointed and furnished. We had a comfortable nights sleep and it was a plenty spacious enough room, considering its an old building. We initially had problems with a previous stay at the hotel, but the staff were excellent in rectifying things second time around and we were very well cared for. I would suggest in our experience pay for a better room, if the appointments of the room are important to you. It is not the cheapest hotel but Bury St Edmunds is a unique town and this is bar far the best located within the town and really the only hotel of this quality (live locally, so know the options!). The bar in the vaults is totally unique and always worth a visit and the food and customer service is always good.

Room Tip: Originals upwards. Had a coach house room previously and the difference was noticeable.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went for a late lunch on Thursday afternoon to celebrate my husband's birthday. The lunch menu is served all afternoon which was really handy for us. The three course set menu was very reasonably priced. I had bruschetta to start which was good apart from the green beans which were too chewy. I don't eat meat so I had white bean salad for main which was a huge portion and beautifully flavoured. For dessert I had a creme brulee served with shortbread. I enjoyed this though the consistency could have been thicker. There was a good range of wines to choose from.
The service was quick and efficient. The dining room decor is quirky and fun and we had a good table by the window. I enjoyed the meal very much though I think the chef could move up a gear to be truly excellent.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before, This time I had a good room, overlooking the square at the front. However, the same thing happened in the morning, I paid, went for breakfast, and when I went back to my room, it had been cleaned and my toothbrush thrown away. Check out is 11 am. I had put the do not disturb notice outside the door, before breakfast. The manager's excuse was that my case had gone, what were they doing in the room? It wasn't even 10am. Most people wish to go back to a room after breakfast and that is part of what we pay for. Why haven't they learnt from last time, but maybe it is me that has to learn! Not good enough.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank moscovy
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Our Housekeeping team are in direct contact with my Reception team, reception informs housekeeping when guests check out, to allow the rooms to be checked for left items and to clean the room. On this occasion when you paid your bill, and requested your car keys and also informed my Housekeeping manager you had checked out we naturally assumed you had indeed checked out.

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
3 mi away
The Ickworth Hotel
The Ickworth Hotel
#1 of 2 in Horringer

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!