“A lovely stay - perfect in every way!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay - perfect in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went to The Angel for 1 night for our Anniversary and had a lovely time. I booked it last minute, got a great deal and when we arrived we found out wed been upgraded for our Anniversary - they even left a note in our room to say congratulations! The staff couldn't be lovelier and more welcoming - they were also lovely to our dog and made us all feel very welcome!
The bed was extremely comfy and the rooms had everything you would need - a few things in the room could do with an update but I really can't fault this hotel. The food was also fantastic and great value for money! We'll definitely be back thank you.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Nicky,

Thank you.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I can assure you that all of the team members will be made aware of your comments as they serve as a great motivator.

Our team work hard to deliver high standards of hospitality at all time and I am pleased that on this occasion there was no exception.

I hope you had a great Anniversary.

Stuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I have now stayed at this hotel twice, one for my anniversary and again at NewYear and not been disappointed either time. On our first visit we were given a room on the ground floor. Although nothing wrong with the room, we had read on TA that this was next to the bottle store and could get noise in the early hours when they were emptied. The receptionist could not have been more helpful and was able to find us another room, even marking on our preference not to book us into the room in future.
As I mentioned at the beginning the decor is different to say the least, but also interesting. You will never know what you'll find,
The restaurant served excellent food, fresh and well cooked and the breakfast was excellent. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay and would recommend.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear John,

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Coming back to the The Angel Hotel is a treat to the senses. My room was well furnished and the double bed was very comfortable, overlooking the beautiful Abbey at the front of the hotel there is some road noise but the view makes up for that.
The food on offer in the restaurant is first class , breakfast is very tasty and good value.
I plan to return to the Angel next time I'm working in the area .

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Jeff,

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked this Hotel as it was close to a wedding venue we were attending on a Saturday afternoon, although a bit pricey at £147.00 a night including breakfast ( not buffet ) it had some good reviews and seemed to tick a lot of boxes, such as free parking and central town centre location. I did actually book 2 rooms as we were with another couple of friends.
I did call the Hotel at 10am and let them know we were arriving at 12.30pm and would it be possible to get changed for the wedding in our rooms, I was told in not the friendliest tones that rooms would be ready at 2pm, I then asked if there was somewhere in the Hotel where we could get changed and the reply was " the lobby toilets" in again not a friendly manner.
By the time both couples went to check in it was 1pm, we asked if our rooms were ready and the same voice came back to us without asking any other staff or checking her computer " rooms ready at 2pm you can get changed in the toilets sir. The Lobby toilets were chaos as there were many other guests trying to get changed for the wedding and others nearby. A waitress that bought us some drinks while waiting to use the toilets told us this happens every Saturday and the management does nothing about it
We arrived late for the wedding. We arrived back at the Hotel around 11pm checked out our rooms and were pleasantly surprised and decided to try out the basement bar, this was well worth the visit and by this time we had forgotten about the rooms not being ready one of our party did try to purchase crisps with her drink but strangely the Hotel did not serve or stock potato crisps.
The next morning after my wife and I had taken a shower ( separately I might add ) we received a phone call from Reception asking if we had been using our shower, my wife confirmed we had and we were told it was leaking to the store room below, this I thought was very unprofessional as we now were thinking the Hotel has dodgy plumbing !!!! They should have waited until we had vacated the room.
Finally we all went to breakfast and were told both dining rooms were full we had to wait 20 mins in the lobby and another almost10 mins in the dining room before we could order breakfast, this time the waiter told us this happens every Sunday morning but nothing is done about it. The breakfast was ok but not much of it and a no baked beans policy in the Hotel.???
I did on checkout bring up the issues as a complaint but I did get the feeling it was falling on deaf ears, I got a half hearted apology for some of the things I complained about.
The Hotel is very nice as were the rooms, the staff need to be a bit more attentive and helpful except the valet parker Rick who gave exceptional service with a big smile. I would suggest he be promoted to Hotel manager.
Unfortunately the minuses out weigh the pluses for this Hotel, this will most likely please the reception staff as they seemed to give the impression that guests were a hindrance.

Room Tip: Don't even think about getting into your room before 2pm. Don't spend too long in the shower...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kne191056
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Sir,

On our conformation it does state' Check in from 14:00 (2pm) onward - Unfortunately we cannot guarantee an earlier check in' we do offer our function room for wedding guests to get changed in, maybe on this occasion another guest was using it.

Our breakfast service on Sundays is a very busy time, many of our guests come down for breakfast at once, we have extended our breakfast opening times and offer complementary tea and coffee in the lounge area if there is a queue for tables. Very rarely is the wait longer than 10 minutes.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received and the issues you had with your room, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager and Housekeeping Manager with regards to this.

Unfortunately we did have a fault with our plumbing which was leaking into the room below, my apologies you were disturbed but my Duty Manager was following hotel procedure.

I certainly would not want this to be your lasting impression of The Angel Hotel. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience Stuart@theangel.co.uk

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is only regarding the restaurant as we didn't stay at the hotel.

The Angel was a real disappointment. The location and look of the place was probably the only plus point. For an upmarket establishment (and prices) both the food and service we're lacking. I did not finish a single course of my three and left most of the food. My wife did enjoy her main however and the food was well presented. The service was polite and friendly but we were rushed throughout the whole meal and made to feel quite uncomfortable. To be repeatedly asked if we were finished/ready for the next course/ready for the bill etc made us feel rather unwelcome. We were in and out out of the restaurant in forty minutes which was a real shame as we were there for our anniversary and clearly were there expecting a fine dining experience, which the Angel did not deliver.

Would not recommend, I have had better service, food and value for money in chain restaurants.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Tom,

Thank you for posting your review on the restaurant twice, once on here and once on our restaurant page.

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to hold our wedding at this hotel and we were not disappointed in our choice. The venue was beautiful and set in the pretty town of bury st edmunds we felt it was a good choice. The food served at every meal was amazingly prepared , delicious and served promptly. Our wedding suite was just divine and very luxurious. We were just sad to leave the next day! If you get a chance to visit this fantastic hotel do because you won't regret it . Thankyou angel hotel for making us feel like royalty :-)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for sending us your positive feedback, it is always nice to hear positive feedback to pass on to my team.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Angel, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Hopton on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is a delightful historic building, within a few minutes from the town's cathedral and main shopping area. The views of the cathedral and the cathedral gates from the front of the hotel are amazing and the staff are highly trained and incredibly professional. Despite being in a period building, the rooms and their furnishings are modern, clean and well-equipped with all that a traveller needs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!