“Good hotel, Room beautiful but not practical”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 20 for three nights in August.
The room was very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean which was excellent as it isn't always the case with hotel rooms. The bed was very comfortable although I would have preferred firmer pillows but I suppose that's just a personal preference. We liked the fact that we had air conditioning and that we could control it. Wooden hangers in the wardrobe which weren't attached to the rail were a nice change and there was also a good tea tray with nice Emma Bridgewater mugs just like we have at home! However, the big negative about this room, in our view, was the fact that there was no door to the bathroom. I know this is the fashionable thing to do but I really do want privacy when bathing. At least a curtain over the entrance would have given me the option. The bathroom wasn't even tucked round the corner but smack bang in the middle of the room and when I emerged from the bath or shower there I stood stark naked at the top of the stairs in full view. This arrangement also meant that when one of us needed to use the bathroom during the night, the light and extractor fan disturbed the other sleeper, whereas if there was a door it wouldn't have. Another strange aspect of the bathroom was that there was no surface to put anything, everything had to be balanced on the hand basin, a shelf would be useful. The lighting in the bathroom was also very bad, ok for bathing or showering but not good for applying make up or apparently shaving.
There was no full length mirror in the room which I think is a basic essential in a hotel room. I found a small free standing mirror in the wardrobe but it was not adequate for doing hair, applying make up etc. The only place with a surface to use as a dressing table and nearby electrical sockets was the desk, the desk was very high, the chair provided was too low and the mirror was angled towards the ceiling so that if I put the mirror on the desk and sat on the chair I couldn't see in the mirror. Again the lighting in the bedroom was too low for applying make up and the angle poised desk lamp didn't help with this.
Overall, the room looked beautiful but it wasn't really practical.
The other areas of the hotel were also beautiful and clean with large comfy chairs and sofa in the lounge and the staff members were very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was good but it wasn't a buffet, we chose from a menu and had table service which was nice in one way but I am not really a hot breakfast person so I like to concentrate more on the cold food i.e. Muesli, fruit, yoghurt etc so I prefer to select these things from a buffet rather than have them brought to me in tiny separate bowls. We did find it strange on the first morning when we received the hot items before the cold items.
On checking out I was shown the account on the computer screen and I pointed out that the room tariff included £30 towards food, I was assured by the staff member that it would automatically be taken off any food items on the bill. However when I returned home I realised that nothing had been taken off. I contacted the hotel and they confirmed that I was right and offered to refund my card the amount. Although this was the correct minimum response it was bad that the amount hadn't be taken off my bill and that I had to spot the mistake and ask for my money back. After all the £30 was offered by the hotel and called 'treat on us'.
The free WiFi and parking was welcome, the parking is limited so we had to give our car keys to reception and our car was moved around and blocked in at various times during our stay. This didn't bother us as we were staying in Bury and didn't need to use our car, we were also told by the staff that if we needed it the car would be available in two minutes. Overall we did enjoy our stay at the Angel and I'm sure we will be back although I would definitely ask for a room with a bathroom door!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Lizzy,

Thank you.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I can assure you that all of the team members will be made aware of your comments as they serve as a great motivator.

Our team work hard to deliver high standards of hospitality at all time and I am pleased that on this occasion there was no exception.

I wish you had mentioned a few of your points whilst still in residence as we would of been able to rectify, we do have firmer pillows available on request and we could have swapped your room. I take on board your notes of the no door leading up into the bathroom and shall be looking into a solution.

Stuart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a last minute mid-week trip accompanying my parents and travelling with 2 small children. We were given adjoining rooms and I was given a large room that accommodated a cot. We also asked for limited stairs and were given a ground floor room. The room was comfortable, clean and big and importantly for a good night's sleep - quiet and dark. The best thing about the hotel (aside from the location) was how generous and accommodating the staff were to my children. They sat us in a quiet area for dinner - away from other guests- and provided paper and pencils to keep the kids occupied. All our meals including the kids meals were delicious and generous. I think it really was the best service which made the kids feel welcome in a four star establishment that I've been to in a long while. Breakfast was fantastic and a la carte which was a nice change to the buffets we were getting sick of throughout our recent travels. All in all a great stay and am keen to visit their sister hotel - the salthouse harbour.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Stacy,

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went to The Angel for 1 night for our Anniversary and had a lovely time. I booked it last minute, got a great deal and when we arrived we found out wed been upgraded for our Anniversary - they even left a note in our room to say congratulations! The staff couldn't be lovelier and more welcoming - they were also lovely to our dog and made us all feel very welcome!
The bed was extremely comfy and the rooms had everything you would need - a few things in the room could do with an update but I really can't fault this hotel. The food was also fantastic and great value for money! We'll definitely be back thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Nicky,

Thank you.

I hope you had a great Anniversary.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel twice, one for my anniversary and again at NewYear and not been disappointed either time. On our first visit we were given a room on the ground floor. Although nothing wrong with the room, we had read on TA that this was next to the bottle store and could get noise in the early hours when they were emptied. The receptionist could not have been more helpful and was able to find us another room, even marking on our preference not to book us into the room in future.
As I mentioned at the beginning the decor is different to say the least, but also interesting. You will never know what you'll find,
The restaurant served excellent food, fresh and well cooked and the breakfast was excellent. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay and would recommend.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Coming back to the The Angel Hotel is a treat to the senses. My room was well furnished and the double bed was very comfortable, overlooking the beautiful Abbey at the front of the hotel there is some road noise but the view makes up for that.
The food on offer in the restaurant is first class , breakfast is very tasty and good value.
I plan to return to the Angel next time I'm working in the area .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Jeff,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked this Hotel as it was close to a wedding venue we were attending on a Saturday afternoon, although a bit pricey at £147.00 a night including breakfast ( not buffet ) it had some good reviews and seemed to tick a lot of boxes, such as free parking and central town centre location. I did actually book 2 rooms as we were with another couple of friends.
I did call the Hotel at 10am and let them know we were arriving at 12.30pm and would it be possible to get changed for the wedding in our rooms, I was told in not the friendliest tones that rooms would be ready at 2pm, I then asked if there was somewhere in the Hotel where we could get changed and the reply was " the lobby toilets" in again not a friendly manner.
By the time both couples went to check in it was 1pm, we asked if our rooms were ready and the same voice came back to us without asking any other staff or checking her computer " rooms ready at 2pm you can get changed in the toilets sir. The Lobby toilets were chaos as there were many other guests trying to get changed for the wedding and others nearby. A waitress that bought us some drinks while waiting to use the toilets told us this happens every Saturday and the management does nothing about it
We arrived late for the wedding. We arrived back at the Hotel around 11pm checked out our rooms and were pleasantly surprised and decided to try out the basement bar, this was well worth the visit and by this time we had forgotten about the rooms not being ready one of our party did try to purchase crisps with her drink but strangely the Hotel did not serve or stock potato crisps.
The next morning after my wife and I had taken a shower ( separately I might add ) we received a phone call from Reception asking if we had been using our shower, my wife confirmed we had and we were told it was leaking to the store room below, this I thought was very unprofessional as we now were thinking the Hotel has dodgy plumbing !!!! They should have waited until we had vacated the room.
Finally we all went to breakfast and were told both dining rooms were full we had to wait 20 mins in the lobby and another almost10 mins in the dining room before we could order breakfast, this time the waiter told us this happens every Sunday morning but nothing is done about it. The breakfast was ok but not much of it and a no baked beans policy in the Hotel.???
I did on checkout bring up the issues as a complaint but I did get the feeling it was falling on deaf ears, I got a half hearted apology for some of the things I complained about.
The Hotel is very nice as were the rooms, the staff need to be a bit more attentive and helpful except the valet parker Rick who gave exceptional service with a big smile. I would suggest he be promoted to Hotel manager.
Unfortunately the minuses out weigh the pluses for this Hotel, this will most likely please the reception staff as they seemed to give the impression that guests were a hindrance.

Room Tip: Don't even think about getting into your room before 2pm. Don't spend too long in the shower...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kne191056

Dear Sir,

On our conformation it does state' Check in from 14:00 (2pm) onward - Unfortunately we cannot guarantee an earlier check in' we do offer our function room for wedding guests to get changed in, maybe on this occasion another guest was using it.

Our breakfast service on Sundays is a very busy time, many of our guests come down for breakfast at once, we have extended our breakfast opening times and offer complementary tea and coffee in the lounge area if there is a queue for tables. Very rarely is the wait longer than 10 minutes.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with regards to the service you received and the issues you had with your room, this is not the standard I expect our guests to receive and I will be speaking with my Restaurant Manager and Housekeeping Manager with regards to this.

Unfortunately we did have a fault with our plumbing which was leaking into the room below, my apologies you were disturbed but my Duty Manager was following hotel procedure.

I certainly would not want this to be your lasting impression of The Angel Hotel. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience Stuart@theangel.co.uk

Once again my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is only regarding the restaurant as we didn't stay at the hotel.

The Angel was a real disappointment. The location and look of the place was probably the only plus point. For an upmarket establishment (and prices) both the food and service we're lacking. I did not finish a single course of my three and left most of the food. My wife did enjoy her main however and the food was well presented. The service was polite and friendly but we were rushed throughout the whole meal and made to feel quite uncomfortable. To be repeatedly asked if we were finished/ready for the next course/ready for the bill etc made us feel rather unwelcome. We were in and out out of the restaurant in forty minutes which was a real shame as we were there for our anniversary and clearly were there expecting a fine dining experience, which the Angel did not deliver.

Would not recommend, I have had better service, food and value for money in chain restaurants.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stuart H, Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Tom,

Thank you for posting your review on the restaurant twice, once on here and once on our restaurant page.

Thank you for taking the time write your review regarding your recent disappointing experience with us. It is always helpful to receive feedback from our guests in order that we may endeavour to improve the service and comfort we offer. I am glad we were able to offer a professional solution on the day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
3 mi away
The Ickworth Hotel
The Ickworth Hotel
#1 of 2 in Horringer

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!