This hotel is just three miles away from Bury St Edmunds and a perfect choice for an over night stay. The grounds are delightful to drive through on the way in and also to walk around in as the grounds are large and contain large wooded areas. The goats, ducks and two little ponies adjacent to the car park were a pleasant surprise. This is a family owned hotel and the photos and many personal touches all add to the ambiance.
The hotel has a lot of character and even the converted stable mews that we stayed in had a lovely old feel to it, with antique furniture and nice furnishings. We enjoyed sitting in the sun outside our room in the late afternoon and also in the morning - perfect! My only criticism of the room was the very hard bed!
We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks in the bar and then ate our dinner in the restaurant. Earlier that day they had served 60 lunches instead of the normal 20 so our choices of oysters, scallops and duck were all unavailable unfortunately. However, the alternative choices that we made were very good. We shared the rib of beef platter and it was enormous - could have served another couple of people with it! My cooked breakfast the next morning was delicious.
The staff were all helpful and friendly.
The only reasons I scored this hotel a very good instead of excellent was the uncomfortable bed and three of our choices for the dinner being unavailable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the most historic hotels in Bury St Edmunds, steeped in nearly 500 years of history. Set in seven acres of landscaped woodlands and gardens, this country house hotel is easily accessible from the main A14. Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, you will find a winter fireside welcome and a summer poolside welcome. Whatever your needs, you will find a little luxury in the atmosphere of a country home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ravenwood Hall Country Suffolk
- Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk