“Relaxing Stay”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Essex
“Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Our second visit which was even better than the first.We had an upgrade to the main house,a lovely cream tea,excellent dinner,& breakfast.My wife is not a fish eater & it was no trouble for the restaurant to amend the tasing menu for her.Very attentive & friendly staff in a relaxing environment.Couldn't ask for any more really! If you want an elegant place to stay without it being fussy,stay at Ravenwood Hall.Bury st Edmunds is a nice place to explore. A bit more time next time!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Others reviews for this establishment are varied with some full of praise, others quite the reverse. I would not expect ultra modern minimalist decor in an ancient building but I feel the hotel would benefit from a complete re-decoration/makeover. Red tartan carpeting and pink walls do not offer a relaxing ambience and the Ladies Loo resembled a teenager's bedroom with big red lips on the walls and plastic flowers, hardly the most appropriate choice at a place with handsome inglenook and oak panelling. The food was acceptable in a dining room with few other patrons. The following day we ate in a restaurant 25 miles away and were fortunate to take the only remaining table. The area around the pool (now closed for winter presumably) needed sorting out with chairs strewn around giving an untidy appearance. Always ready to sample a new venue but I doubt, with numerous eateries from which to choose nowadays, this place would be on the list for a speedy return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doreen G
Ramsden Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We took advantage of a promotion and stayed overnight, with afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast.

When we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to a room within the main house. It's always a nice way to be introduced to a hotel!

The staff here and really pleasant and friendly. From the reception staff to the lady who served us our tea to the restaurant staff, all were very engaging and friendly without being too intrusive.

The tasting menu wasn't to our liking, but they did everything they could to accommodate our tastes and that was very much appreciated.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone, we really enjoyed our visit

Essex
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Myself and some close colleagues and good friends regularly meet at this wonderful venue to enjoy an evening of fine food and a great laugh.

We continue to come back as we can never fault anything, the food, the service, the friendliness of the staff it is all in all a wonderful experience.

We tend to make a bit of noise as we enjoy each others company as various banter and jokes are exchanged - whilst at the same time of course respecting our surroundings. The staff make us feel so welcome and even at time join in with their own small practical jokes.

Wonderful ... we will return - again and again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had a wonderful stay. If you like traditional old country house hotel, this is the place to stay. Our stay included a cream tea on arrival and a six course taster menu in the evening, which were all delicious:), as well as a good choice of breakfast the following morning.

Suffolk
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Although we have eaten the excellent food here before, we have never stayed overnight. It was a great experience and although very near to the A14 and Bury, we felt as if we were in the middle of nowhere.

The ambience is equally good in the grounds as in the tudor origin hotel. It is very relaxing to sit in the lounge, bar or tree and escape to read.

At the start of Autumn, it was good to see that the radiators in our room could be turned on and everywhere was a very comfortable temperature.

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

After some exploring, I had decided that a dip in the pool was a must. It was a sweltering day so the fresh blast of cold water was sadistically welcoming and I enjoyed the silence around me other than the birds nesting & cooing in the tall trees around me. The attentive bar staff even catered to my hankering of a pot of English Breakfast Tea by the poolside once I had finished my exercise, these were the small perks of a midweek stay, I was in heaven.

The staff were friendly everywhere I went, offering chats between jobs and answering my nosey questions about this fantastic venue, complete with ponies, horses and even goats, homemade goats cheese curd was on the evening menu, so not only were these little beggars entertaining and very cute, they were very useful as well.
“It’s dog friendly too” my waitress pointed out, which is great to hear next time I have my canine companion holidaying with me.

The food didn’t disappoint, as I knew it wouldn’t, I had saved myself all day knowing I was going to eat well with my companion that evening.

And, after indulging in the delicious food, there was only one thing to do and that was to retire to our fabulous four poster bed and read a book with a cuppa in hand whilst we enjoyed the sunset from our country retreat.

Ravenwood was peaceful, charming and romantic whilst offering us space to chat, refresh, eat superb food and stroll within stunning grounds, all just a stones throw from Cambridge.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oak room and it was full of character and a stunning 4 poster bed, however, no air...