All reviewsmews roomst edmunds roomclassic menushetland poniesfour poster bedthe main housewedding receptionsecret escapes dealsloping floorslovely groundscream tealovely venueafternoon tealog firewedding venueblack puddingrelaxing stay
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I took my wife to lunch at Ravenwood Country Hotel on 22 October , and very much regretted it.
From the start . problems occurred . A harried waitress advised that several choices were "off " that day. I ordered fresh OYSTERS but when they arrived they looked as if they had been delivered and opened the day before and instead of being shiny and firm were a dull grey colour and limp (I am sure it was these oysters which kept me awake later that evening.
My main course was hake garnished with some other bits of fish and green vegetables and potatoes, but the piece of hake was just the size of four postage stamps , but the potatoes wee plenteous. My wife had ordered cornish scallops which were seriously undernourished and huddled in a lonely little pile in the middle of her plate
An acceptable white wine was served decently chilled but water glasses were left untouched despite an earlier request for the empty glasses to be filled.
When i asked for the bill, an unkempt lady , flounced in ,and gave it to my wife.
When I pointed this strange action out to the wine waiter (the only assistant around) he just said that she "must be having boyfriend trouble. No apologies.

Neither was there any invItation to "have a good journey" or return, which of course I will never do so.

It was possible that other members of the staff were attending participants of a conference or gathering in an adjoining building, but this was no excuse to allow other guests to suffer appalling service and indifferent food.

As we walked to the car park , we passed an animal enclosure where some thin, tiny goats were trying to find food in an area almost completely devoid of grass or any other vegetation which could have provided sustenance to the the starved looking goats
After my lunch at Ravenswood Hall, I felt that I knew how they suffered .

4  Thank JOHN A
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was a second visit to the hotel and it was as expected - or we would not have returned! We were given a room in the main building which was large with a nice bathroom. Love the quirky old pieces of furniture and decor which is nice for a short stay. Can be a bit chilly when the heating is not on though - but not a problem. The food - tea, dinner and breakfast - were all very good. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. The grounds are nice - weather permitting. A nice country house stay and close to Bury St Edmunds for shopping.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Our second visit which was even better than the first.We had an upgrade to the main house,a lovely cream tea,excellent dinner,& breakfast.My wife is not a fish eater & it was no trouble for the restaurant to amend the tasing menu for her.Very attentive & friendly staff in a relaxing environment.Couldn't ask for any more really! If you want an elegant place to stay without it being fussy,stay at Ravenwood Hall.Bury st Edmunds is a nice place to explore. A bit more time next time!!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Others reviews for this establishment are varied with some full of praise, others quite the reverse. I would not expect ultra modern minimalist decor in an ancient building but I feel the hotel would benefit from a complete re-decoration/makeover. Red tartan carpeting and pink walls do not offer a relaxing ambience and the Ladies Loo resembled a teenager's bedroom with big red lips on the walls and plastic flowers, hardly the most appropriate choice at a place with handsome inglenook and oak panelling. The food was acceptable in a dining room with few other patrons. The following day we ate in a restaurant 25 miles away and were fortunate to take the only remaining table. The area around the pool (now closed for winter presumably) needed sorting out with chairs strewn around giving an untidy appearance. Always ready to sample a new venue but I doubt, with numerous eateries from which to choose nowadays, this place would be on the list for a speedy return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doreen G
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We took advantage of a promotion and stayed overnight, with afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast.

When we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to a room within the main house. It's always a nice way to be introduced to a hotel!

The staff here and really pleasant and friendly. From the reception staff to the lady who served us our tea to the restaurant staff, all were very engaging and friendly without being too intrusive.

The tasting menu wasn't to our liking, but they did everything they could to accommodate our tastes and that was very much appreciated.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone, we really enjoyed our visit