“Warm welcome”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We visited Ravenwood Hall with a travelzoo offer of a 6 course tasting menu. On ur arrival we were shown to our room which had an ancient wooden four poster bed which was very comfortable. The slopping floors added to the character and showed the age of the building. We had afternoon tea which was included in the offer and was surprised to have two scones each which obviously we had to eat. That evening we had the tasting menu which was very nice overall but far too much food. I could have stopped after the fish risotto but forged ahead with the lamb and dessert course. The dining room was very welcoming and had a good feel about it. The service was just right. I had a good nights sleep but was woken up with the sound of the reception staff talking so although the room was nice with great views perhaps an alternative room would be quieter. Breakfast was served in a smaller dining room and had a great choice from kedgeree to local ham by the happiest older lady who just made the experience more enjoyable.
Decor and cleanliness was good. I would like to go back in the summer and sit outside and maybe use the pool. I smiled at the name plates put on the bedroom doors "Mr and Mrs ....." a bit of an assumption about the booking as neither I nor the other couple had rings on. But in saying that it did make it feel more personal despite not being correct. I wonder how many Smiths are displayed ? : )
I forgot to complete the review form in the hotel but in saying that I don't have anything negative to say in this forum. Maybe think about having a map of the grounds for those who fancy a stroll ? Overall, a beautiful building, it would be a lovely wedding venue, the tartan carpets cried out for a Burns night in January ( I wonder if there is an opportunity for a temporary dance floor in the smaller dining room. ) I can imagine it with the fires lit and snow on the ground. a very personal touch with all the family photos displayed, clearly the owner is very proud of his family. For those of you with travelzoo vouchers, you will enjoy this one.

1 Thank Ninapup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

This ranks as one of my favourite places to stay
never dissapointed in the service or any aspect of the facilities
clearly the owner and management team are fully aligned to the customers needs and wants
book for just a great experience

Room Tip: the rooms in the main house a far better than the annexe
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyBux
Hereford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I took my wife to lunch at Ravenwood Country Hotel on 22 October , and very much regretted it.
From the start . problems occurred . A harried waitress advised that several choices were "off " that day. I ordered fresh OYSTERS but when they arrived they looked as if they had been delivered and opened the day before and instead of being shiny and firm were a dull grey colour and limp (I am sure it was these oysters which kept me awake later that evening.
My main course was hake garnished with some other bits of fish and green vegetables and potatoes, but the piece of hake was just the size of four postage stamps , but the potatoes wee plenteous. My wife had ordered cornish scallops which were seriously undernourished and huddled in a lonely little pile in the middle of her plate
An acceptable white wine was served decently chilled but water glasses were left untouched despite an earlier request for the empty glasses to be filled.
When i asked for the bill, an unkempt lady , flounced in ,and gave it to my wife.
When I pointed this strange action out to the wine waiter (the only assistant around) he just said that she "must be having boyfriend trouble. No apologies.

Neither was there any invItation to "have a good journey" or return, which of course I will never do so.

It was possible that other members of the staff were attending participants of a conference or gathering in an adjoining building, but this was no excuse to allow other guests to suffer appalling service and indifferent food.

As we walked to the car park , we passed an animal enclosure where some thin, tiny goats were trying to find food in an area almost completely devoid of grass or any other vegetation which could have provided sustenance to the the starved looking goats
After my lunch at Ravenswood Hall, I felt that I knew how they suffered .

4 Thank JOHN A
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was a second visit to the hotel and it was as expected - or we would not have returned! We were given a room in the main building which was large with a nice bathroom. Love the quirky old pieces of furniture and decor which is nice for a short stay. Can be a bit chilly when the heating is not on though - but not a problem. The food - tea, dinner and breakfast - were all very good. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. The grounds are nice - weather permitting. A nice country house stay and close to Bury St Edmunds for shopping.

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Our second visit which was even better than the first.We had an upgrade to the main house,a lovely cream tea,excellent dinner,& breakfast.My wife is not a fish eater & it was no trouble for the restaurant to amend the tasing menu for her.Very attentive & friendly staff in a relaxing environment.Couldn't ask for any more really! If you want an elegant place to stay without it being fussy,stay at Ravenwood Hall.Bury st Edmunds is a nice place to explore. A bit more time next time!!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Others reviews for this establishment are varied with some full of praise, others quite the reverse. I would not expect ultra modern minimalist decor in an ancient building but I feel the hotel would benefit from a complete re-decoration/makeover. Red tartan carpeting and pink walls do not offer a relaxing ambience and the Ladies Loo resembled a teenager's bedroom with big red lips on the walls and plastic flowers, hardly the most appropriate choice at a place with handsome inglenook and oak panelling. The food was acceptable in a dining room with few other patrons. The following day we ate in a restaurant 25 miles away and were fortunate to take the only remaining table. The area around the pool (now closed for winter presumably) needed sorting out with chairs strewn around giving an untidy appearance. Always ready to sample a new venue but I doubt, with numerous eateries from which to choose nowadays, this place would be on the list for a speedy return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doreen G
Ramsden Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We took advantage of a promotion and stayed overnight, with afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast.

When we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to a room within the main house. It's always a nice way to be introduced to a hotel!

The staff here and really pleasant and friendly. From the reception staff to the lady who served us our tea to the restaurant staff, all were very engaging and friendly without being too intrusive.

The tasting menu wasn't to our liking, but they did everything they could to accommodate our tastes and that was very much appreciated.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone, we really enjoyed our visit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bury St Edmunds
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Chantry Hotel
The Chantry Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!