All reviewsmews roomst edmunds roomclassic menushetland poniesfour poster bedthe main housewedding receptionsecret escapes dealsloping floorslovely groundscream tealovely venueafternoon tealog firewedding venueblack puddingrelaxing stay
Reviewed 3 November 2013

What a delightful hotel. Nestled in the Suffolk countryside. We took advantage of the Sunday night mews promotion and we were very pleasantly surprised at the value offered.
Location is wonderful. The staff were very attentive without being oppressive. The food was of the highest quality and a special mention must go to the breakfast.
My first visit but certainly not the last.

Room Tip: We had the mews room. There are other more expensive rooms but the mews was more than adequate for one nights stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have stayed here before and enjoyed the setting. Our latest visit was superb with good accommodation in the mews, great food/wine and excellent service. The Suffolk breakfast was a treat as well. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We visited Ravenwood Hall with a travelzoo offer of a 6 course tasting menu. On ur arrival we were shown to our room which had an ancient wooden four poster bed which was very comfortable. The slopping floors added to the character and showed the age of the building. We had afternoon tea which was included in the offer and was surprised to have two scones each which obviously we had to eat. That evening we had the tasting menu which was very nice overall but far too much food. I could have stopped after the fish risotto but forged ahead with the lamb and dessert course. The dining room was very welcoming and had a good feel about it. The service was just right. I had a good nights sleep but was woken up with the sound of the reception staff talking so although the room was nice with great views perhaps an alternative room would be quieter. Breakfast was served in a smaller dining room and had a great choice from kedgeree to local ham by the happiest older lady who just made the experience more enjoyable.
Decor and cleanliness was good. I would like to go back in the summer and sit outside and maybe use the pool. I smiled at the name plates put on the bedroom doors "Mr and Mrs ....." a bit of an assumption about the booking as neither I nor the other couple had rings on. But in saying that it did make it feel more personal despite not being correct. I wonder how many Smiths are displayed ? : )
I forgot to complete the review form in the hotel but in saying that I don't have anything negative to say in this forum. Maybe think about having a map of the grounds for those who fancy a stroll ? Overall, a beautiful building, it would be a lovely wedding venue, the tartan carpets cried out for a Burns night in January ( I wonder if there is an opportunity for a temporary dance floor in the smaller dining room. ) I can imagine it with the fires lit and snow on the ground. a very personal touch with all the family photos displayed, clearly the owner is very proud of his family. For those of you with travelzoo vouchers, you will enjoy this one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ninapup
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This ranks as one of my favourite places to stay
never dissapointed in the service or any aspect of the facilities
clearly the owner and management team are fully aligned to the customers needs and wants
book for just a great experience

Room Tip: the rooms in the main house a far better than the annexe
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyBux
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I took my wife to lunch at Ravenwood Country Hotel on 22 October , and very much regretted it.
From the start . problems occurred . A harried waitress advised that several choices were "off " that day. I ordered fresh OYSTERS but when they arrived they looked as if they had been delivered and opened the day before and instead of being shiny and firm were a dull grey colour and limp (I am sure it was these oysters which kept me awake later that evening.
My main course was hake garnished with some other bits of fish and green vegetables and potatoes, but the piece of hake was just the size of four postage stamps , but the potatoes wee plenteous. My wife had ordered cornish scallops which were seriously undernourished and huddled in a lonely little pile in the middle of her plate
An acceptable white wine was served decently chilled but water glasses were left untouched despite an earlier request for the empty glasses to be filled.
When i asked for the bill, an unkempt lady , flounced in ,and gave it to my wife.
When I pointed this strange action out to the wine waiter (the only assistant around) he just said that she "must be having boyfriend trouble. No apologies.

Neither was there any invItation to "have a good journey" or return, which of course I will never do so.

It was possible that other members of the staff were attending participants of a conference or gathering in an adjoining building, but this was no excuse to allow other guests to suffer appalling service and indifferent food.

As we walked to the car park , we passed an animal enclosure where some thin, tiny goats were trying to find food in an area almost completely devoid of grass or any other vegetation which could have provided sustenance to the the starved looking goats
After my lunch at Ravenswood Hall, I felt that I knew how they suffered .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple