“Cosy place ”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
London, United Kingdom
“Cosy place ”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this Hotel many times for business over the last 15 years and its remained more or less unchanged except a large extension to the bar restaurant a few years ago which was a good thing.

It is full of quirky character not all of which is to everyone's tastes but I have to say that in all those years it's rare that I've had any negatives.

The food and wine selection is generally excellent and generally good value.

The bar area with the old log fire is lovely on a winter's evening , nevermind the smoke and the pictures of Craig's family ... So what ? Just relax and enjoy a lovely beer or glass of wine.

They do a great job here for the price and it's reassuring to walk in the door like I did last week after around 2 years and find it just as cosy as it was when I came last time

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sweetcure

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here for 2 nights and in general I would recommend this hotel. Staff friendly, the dining areas and bar area comfortable and well presented as are the rooms.

Value for money was excellent, possibly due to booking online. If rooms not available online, do try calling direct as both of my colleagues initially tried booking online without success however when they called they wee able to find a room for each of them.

The location is very convenient for Bury St Edmunds via the A14 however the road noise was quite bad, especially if the wind happened to be blowing towards the hotel. One other observation, although this didn't affect me as it was by no means warm when I stayed I could see that in hot weather my room would be uncomfortable as no air conditioning and only one small window you could open (on the A14 side of the hotel, of course!!). Difficult to know how this can be resolved as the building is old and installing air conditioning may not be possible.

I was staying with 2 colleagues and we had varying experiences of the rooms. The rooms in general were very good, clean and with good quality furnishings and towels, my bath sheets in particular were HUGE! However some of the furniture was quite tired/in poor condition and there was a lack of some basic things you would normally expect to find in the hotel rooms; pad of notepaper, pen etc. Gideon's bible, of course, was present.... Internet access in my room was patchy at best despite 3 different networks being 'visible' in my room and a total of about 10 access points across the hotel (each with a different password!!??).... This is something that could resolve very easily and with little or no cost.

In my room, the mattress was incredibly hard, one colleague had a really soft and saggy mattress and the other had a very good mattress. I know that mattresses can be a personal choice (just ask the Three Bears and Goldilocks) so difficult to find a happy compromise however I would have expected all to have been the same?

The bathroom was clean and in good general condition, the water pressure on the second morning was poor on the fixed shower head (probably due to more guests staying) but the handheld shower worked fine.

I also reported a dripping tap which was attended to during the day, however the maintenance guy had left muddy footprints in the bathroom which was disappointing and the drip, although improved, was still present; new tap(s) required here I think?

Although we didn't have the opportunity to sample the restaurant in the evening, we did see meals being served and they looked absolutely amazing!!!

The breakfast offered had quite a lot of variety and was of good quality although service was very slow so allow extra time for breakfast if you're on a tight schedule.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin S
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Last weekend myself and friends dined here for a friends Birthday. Our table was booked for 8pm at 8.50pm we still hadn't been served. I asked the waitress to take our order and she replied.....Chef doesn't want any more orders for 10mins!
There was a shooting party in the restaurant and the hotel was also running a two for one offer. We got our starters at 9.30pm! They had obviously been greedy and taken too many bookings! The staff were amazing and so polite. The owner did come to the table and mutter... sorry for the wait.
The other problem was the wood fire smoke two rooms away bellowing out in to the restaurant and making our eyes water.
I would of spoken up at the time but it was a friends treat and I didn't want to embarrass him, so I emailed the next morning and almost a week later I have not received a reply!.
The food was mostly good but not exceptional.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alison T
Johannesburg
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I travel to Bury St Edmunds about once a year to visit my mother-in-law and usually stay in town. This time, we decided to try a new hotel and spent 5 nights, including New Year’s Eve at the Ravenwood Hall Country hotel where we stayed in the St Edmunds room.

On arrival, it was everything that we had hoped for with lots of Christmas decorations, a log fire and a generally warm and welcoming feel. That is, with the exception of the excess of family photographs that the owner has narcissistically splashed over the hotel of himself and his family.

However, we were disappointed the moment we opened the door to our room which was decorated with a horrible red carpet, a selection of rocking horses, creepy portraits and wonky furniture that had seen better days. That evening we shared a bath towel as the second one was dirty and covered in what appeared to be blood marks. They were however immediately changed when we pointed this out the next day.

On day two of our stay our bedroom carpet had become quite dirty and we had to request that the cleaners vacuum it. On overhearing this, one of the departing guests actually made the comment that they too had not had much vacuuming done in their room on their stay.

Except for breakfast, the only other meal we ate in the hotel was on New Year where we had opted to eat in the restaurant rather than join the black tie event held in the pavilion. It was a most unmemorable 5 course meal with one or two inedible courses that we actually sent back.

However, overall the staff are extraordinarily pleasant and willing to assist, and if an old country hotel, wishing to be something more is your thing…then give it a try.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Winehead5
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had a really good time here-we stayed in a mews room [2] which i chose and was very pleased with .It was cosy and comfortable -we met the other guests also staying in the mews building who were jolly and friendly which was nice.We opted to have dinner in the pavilion - very impressed ! I thought it looked great and had been done very well -service was a little hectic but all the staff were very helpful the food was excellent and the dance very enjoyable.We spent all of our break at the hotel - relaxing in the lounge for tea - dining in the evening at a very pleasant table.
ps Wonderful trees in the grounds .All in all a Great Time .We will be back

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolinefama
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Spent new years eve at the hotel and had dinner in the pavilion - which is a kind of village green type wooden construction with a marquee on one end. The whole area had been decorated in an elaborate festive manner with very nice table centres- the seating plan was somewhat cramped
for this type of function, the menu for the evening was of an unusual nature which promised much - but was rather turned out to be rather disappointing. As usual the waiting staff etc where most
helpful throughout the evening this, seems to be a recurring theme during my travels.

Room Tip: Drop off, at the reception as the car park can get messy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve W
USA
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stopped last summer at the Ravenwood Hall Hotel for a delicious lunch (including excellent oysters) and decided to spend New Years Eve there with my fiancee. We were not disappointed. Superb food. Excellent service and ambiance. We had an absolutely delightful time, and will look forward to the next time. I wish I could come up with some criticisms (it's so much fun!), but I can't. The Jarvis family who run this place are aesthetically sensitive geniuses!

Room Tip: You can see the rooms online, so you decide what suits your needs best.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ickworth Hotel
The Ickworth Hotel
#1 of 2 in Horringer
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham

Been to Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!