The hotel looks lovely as you drive up to it. Unfortunately there are some basic problems that need sorting out. Firstly, there is a ramp down to the entrance, which may make it accessible to wheelchairs, but made me feel off balance and unsafe. There is only a handrail on one side of the rather steep staircase, which meant I couldn't get to my allocated room (Deans) as I have had a stroke and am now disabled, although i can climb stairs as long as i have something to hold on to. We were given Mews 4 instead, which is small and rather dark. Also, there are no grab rails in the bathroom and the bath is quite low, so unusable. The decor is dated, as it is throughout the hotel. The fires smoke really badly meaning that you are breathing in a fog and the dining room is clearly dirty and sooty. The food was good, but not excellent. We used our toiletries on the Friday we arrived and they were not replaced during our stay. There is not a pen or paper in the room and only one chair so if you do want to sit down one of you will be sitting on the bed. The Mews have really thin walls, i was kept awake for hours by the lady in he next room coughing and you can clearly hear your neighbours use the bathroom. Really the hotel needs to close for two weeks for deep cleaning,redecorating and chimney sweeping. The best thing about this hotel is the location, it is close to lots of lovely towns, however it is overpriced and under equipped.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the most historic hotels in Bury St Edmunds, steeped in nearly 500 years of history. Set in seven acres of landscaped woodlands and gardens, this country house hotel is easily accessible from the main A14. Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, you will find a winter fireside welcome and a summer poolside welcome. Whatever your needs, you will find a little luxury in the atmosphere of a country home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ravenwood Hall Country Suffolk
- Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk