“Lovely hotel with excellent food”

Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here overnight to attend a wedding. The wedding was wonderfully done and the sit down meal was utterly outstanding. The food was to an incredible standard, the service excellent and the surroundings beautifully done. In the evening there was a hog roast and again the food was cooked to perfection. I cannot recommend it high enough. The staff made sure that our rooms were ready early so that we could use them to change before the service, and the rooms were quaint, clean and rather pretty. The morning breakfast was a strange event and although the breakfast was cooked well, the waitress could have fitted into faulty towers easily. I didn't have a problem with this and found myself laughing a lot. It made the breakfast room a great finish to a wonderful weekend, and everyone who stayed the night after the wedding seemed to enjoy this ladies rather quirky service. Although I must say that in other circumstances it may not work as well, but I think she said that she had been bought out of retirement for the morning. I would definitely go back and would almost be upset if I got a standard waitress for the breakfast service. Well done Ravenwood I was impressed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fran R

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here last night on their very good value Sunday night deal which includes dinner. We have stayed here several times over the years, having got married here 7 years ago. This was our first stay in the Mews annexe, having previously always stayed in their St Edmunds room. We chose the Mews this time as we took our dog with us and the hotel is dog and child friendly. We had Mews 2, these rooms are more compact than the main house but they have everything you need; comfy bed, clean good quality bed linen and pillows, toiletries, tv, tea and coffee as well as a seating area outside the door with table and chairs, a lovely place to sit in the sun and watch the rabbits in the gardens. The whole of the hotel and rooms is furnished with a mixture of antiques; which gives a very homely and comfortable atmosphere. There are also some animal enclosures with goats, geese, chickens and ponies.
As always the welcome and the service was impeccable. We ate a delicious lunch on the terrace, then lazed by the pool for the rest of the afternoon before eating a very well cooked dinner. Breakfast was also excellent.
My only sadness was to see that the perennial bed in front of the hotel has been changed to shingle. It would be nice to see more 'english style' plantings around the hotel again.
If you enjoy quintessentially British country hotels, then Ravenwood is well worth a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night in Mews 5. Not a good experience. I was really looking forward to a relaxing night after day 1 of a 2 day course. I was looking forward to a swim on arrival but the pool was full of non resident children dive bombing each other and wetting anyone in the area. !! The hotel advertises Wifi throughout, but no wifi signal in my room. I was horrified to find black hairs in the bed when pulling back the duvet cover and the bottom sheet was all creased as though someone else had slept in there before. The duvet cover was on inside out with the hemming and label clearly visible. I could not bring myself to get in the bed so laid on the top all night, glad it was a hot night. There was no hand towel just one large bath towel. I asked 2 different staff for a hand towel but never got one. Also no soap on the sink. When I went for evening meal I did not appreciate my name being shouted out by the waitress right across the restaurant, what happened to privacy.!! The food I ordered Chicken and broad beans was average to say the least.
The walls and the ceiling of my room were plain black paint, it was so depressing. The bathroom window must have been open for ages as there was ivy growing into the bathroom. On checkout I gave feedback to the receptionist she was quite happy to take the full balance from me.
It's ok having glossy brochures and magazines but you need to get the basics right first. It's not much to ask for a hand towel and a clean bed ... Is it?!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank Rach H
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Found this great hotel whilst travelling out to Lavenham area. We stayed in Mews 2 with our dog and it was prefects to allow him access outside. A very clean room, could ask for no more. The grounds were fantastic and we had the weather to enjoy sitting out enjoying some drinks. Food some of the best I have had at a UK hotel of this standard. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Mews2 a really nice room, high ceilings and worth a stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 great nights here had a really amazing time, can not fault the stay at all. We stayed in the abbey room a true old room, with floor sloping,ha ha. The staff were always very helpful, as for the food that was excellent would recommend to stay here and have a fantastic and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014

After the most amazing day of our lives we chose to stay in a different hotel to our wedding party before we jetted of on our honeymoon. This is the best hotel in our local area and it it was a real treat of luxury to stay here. Happy memories

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We came for a sunday 2 weeks ago and loved it. This was our 2nd time staying at Ravenwood and would happily come back again.

It all runs smoothly here. The staff are excellent. They are helpful, efficient and know how to do their job. The rooms are very well decorated for the period of property and have a lovely feel to them. They are very homely and inviting. We could stay here for weeks!

The food is of a high level, with the desserts being my favourite bit. Trio of chocolate and almond tart were the 2 i ordered this time. My girlfriend ordered 3 for herself and she loved them all! Greedy I know.

Oh, and there is a outdoor heated pool. Great any time of day.

All in all Ravenwood Hall is somewhere we love. We will return and recommend it to everybody we know.

Room Tip: the Deans room is large and has a view across the front lawn.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 8 in Newmarket

Been to Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!