Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
All Saints Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
US$168
US$82
US$82
The Chantry Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
US$194
US$176
The Angel Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)
US$231
US$195
The Angel Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel(Bury St Edmunds)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$80
Priceline
US$131
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
Tuddenham Mill(Tuddenham)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmews roomst edmunds roomclassic menushetland poniesfour poster bedthe main housewedding receptiona la carte menusecret escapes dealsloping floorslovely groundscream teacourse dinnerafternoon tealovely venuesuperb foodlog fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We recently stayed for a wedding.
The grounds are beautiful as are the bar and resturant areas, and the room was lovely, though not worthy of the room rate in my view, for the rate i would expect more than a tiny portable television.
My issue was with the service,the older man who serves in the resturant was rude and sarcastic!
He commeted to our table at breckfast that he could hear our daughter being brought up the stairs the night previously (she was crying at the time).
He wouldnt have heard her at all if there had been someone at front desk to give my husband the key-we had to retrive it ourselfs a few times during the stay, infact i could have toured all the rooms.
When we asked for cereal it was "well which one we have them all".....they didnt have the one we asked for, that wasnt a problem , his attiude was terrible.
The breckfast was mediocre,the tea grey, it was such a shame.
Having worked myself for years in hotels i understand alot of the issues small places such as these face.
But the food and service was terrible.If it wasnt a close family members wedding i would have voiced my complaint futher.
Save your money and stay at the Angel Hotel in Bury, better all around.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ErharryErrpott
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This was a birthday present of bed breakfast & dinner received from someone who
had previously spoken very highly of her stays at Ravenwood so I was really looking forward to this mini break, but I came away feeling very disappointed.

Firstly I must say that the room, which seemed to have been recently refurbished was really nice, as was the en-suite bathroom and shower ( though shower curtain allowed water onto the floor however careful you were) and toiletries were good. That was the best bit!

Going down for our evening meal it seemed really frantic and chaotic We weren't sure where we should go, difficult to get a drink or menu. Not a good start, but nevertheless we enjoyed our starter and main course. My husband tired of waiting for someone to take his wine order and eventually went up to the bar to get himself a glass of wine as by then I had decided not to bother with wine after all.
Personally I wasn't tookeen on the choice of desserts, and eventually settled on a creme brulee with a pistacchio nut topping. It was plesant but far too rich, served in a shallow dish with a thick layer of nuts over a thin layer of creme brulee. OK it might be personal taste, but Creme Brulee in all its different guises is a favourite of mine and its unknown for me to ever leave any. My husband finished it for me - his dessert was served with vanilla custard BUT it was lumpy and whilst that didn't bother him I think lumpy custard is a definite no-no. Everthing seemd quite disorganised .

However in the morning it was worse, breakfast is full service. We asked for tea, and they took the cereal and toast order and rushed off so we assumed they'd take the cooked order when they cleared the cereal plates.
We read the papers, realised we hadn't had our toast order, and were unable to catch the eye of anyone, and thought they must be short of staff. The only other visit to our table being to snatch away the cereal dishes - with no word spoken - when we foolishly thought the toast must be about to appear - when it didn't we decided to cut our losses and go we'd been there more than an hour, and the room was cold.
When I checked out I pointed out that we hadn't been served breakfast properly and had given up in disgust the chap said we should have said - but to whom?
We didn't want to waste any more of our day, it had gone 10 am by then, having gone down to breakfast well before 9.
We often take short breaks and have never had a problem like this before. In fairness I did receive a call a few days later, which wasn't entirely clear, but I wouldn't want to go back there ever , and it had been a gift I had had for a special birthday and I was disappointed.
I do wonder if they were short staffed because it just seemed so disorganised, and its unusual not to have a wine order taken .
Also if you want to go this summer , check if the outside pool is clean and in use- it was empty and looked in a state of disrepair to me .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2008

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 March 2008

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 July 2007