“Always accommodating”

Price range: US$1 - US$16
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bay Tree Cafe Bistro has been an integral part of St Johns Street, one the loveliest areas in Bury St Edmunds, for more than 15 years. Being one the oldest buildings in the street we have been careful not go overboard with modernisation by keeping the interior subtle and furniture simple to offer a balance of cosy cafe and with a hint of modern bistro. With dining rooms on both the ground and first floors it is deceptively larger that it first appears. Our hope is that the Bay Tree's menus offer something for everyone; vegetarian dishes, dishes suitable for special diets and child portions.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The variety of food is always fresh and they cater for all tastes. The soup is to die for, excellent value for money and homemade. The staff are always accommodating and very efficient. I have eaten here on several occasions and it is always a pleasure.

There are newer reviews for Bay Tree Cafe

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've been here several times now...with friends, my children, and on my own and it's an enjoyable experience every time. I love the Bistro specials that change monthly. The goat cheese tart has been my favorite and most recently I had the chicken and pepper pizza which was also delicious. I don't usually get dessert, but last time I treated myself to the millionaire bar which is to die for! Shortbread base, with a layer of thick carmel, topped with rich chocolate..amazing! The staff is also very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend a meal here.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The aspect of this business on to St John Street is that of an ordinary cafe, but I was enticed in by the above average standard of fare offered by the menu. Service was welcoming despite my pushing my grandson in a buggy and my initial order for a coffee dealt with efficiently. On being joined by my wife and daughter, we decided to stay for lunch and the beetroot tartlets and my lamb burger were all of a high standard. Be aware that the menu advises you that everything is freshly prepared and that hot meals can therefore take 20 minutes. However the wait was well worth it. Whilst we did not sample the cake selection, the cabinet exhibited a mouth watering selection. Service remained pleasant and efficient throughout and the toilet facilities were scrupulous clean.
Would we go back? Without hesitation.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for lunch on a Saturday, service was good and what we had to eat was nice.

We got the wrong drink was meant to be smooth orange juice and lemonade not orange juice with bits but we drank and it was nice and is not the reason I gave 4 instead of 5.

I would defo go back again

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Always nice fresh food when we visit, which is most weekends.
Try the sauté potatoes, the best in town.